Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 26 Jun 2014, 08:10 (Ref:3426641)   #1201
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Another point on Vasselon's comments vs. Luepen's; Vasselon was speaking of the balance between the fuel tech, Luepen was speaking on Audi using only 2mj of hybrid power. Two totally different aspects. The 'ers incentive' is apparently "higher mj, faster lap time". Thats got nothing to do with the equality of Petrols performance to Diesel's.
You consider these two factors independent, but they are clearly not

This has been explained repeatedly: diesel engine heavier, less weight for bigger hybrid. It is much more difficult for Audi to run in the higher MJ classes.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3426701)   #1202
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And 17:1 compression for gasoline racing engines isn't anything new, either; NASCAR Winston Cup (now Sprint Cup) engines were pulling similar numbers in the mid-1990s and I'd bet that F1 engines from the same period weren't too far from that figure, either.

Only the 14:1 (1997) and 12:1 (1998-present) rules-imposed limits kept NASCAR engine builders from exploring higher limits. And those were OHV pushrod engines.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3426702)   #1203
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Another point on Vasselon's comments vs. Luepen's; Vasselon was speaking of the balance between the fuel tech, Luepen was speaking on Audi using only 2mj of hybrid power. Two totally different aspects. The 'ers incentive' is apparently "higher mj, faster lap time". Thats got nothing to do with the equality of Petrols performance to Diesel's.
The two issues are however intimately linked to one another since the performance of all ERS options is exclusively adjusted via the relevant fuel allocation figures.

If the equivalence between diesel and petrol happens to be adjusted in favour of petrol (following Vasselon's "desire") - which would translate into a further increase of the FTF - that would inevitably make the situation even worse in terms of the (once again) artificial gap of performance resulting from the "ERS incentive".
Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3426712)   #1204
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
This has been explained repeatedly: diesel engine heavier, less weight for bigger hybrid. It is much more difficult for Audi to run in the higher MJ classes.
And that remains the "tricky" part in the whole EoT equation.

Currently, the diesel overweight is "compensated" via the KTF, which directly impacts the fuel allocation figures for diesel. Combined with the "ERS incentive", this results in a fundamental lack of equivalence between the various ERS options. Currently, the fuel allocation figures are adjusted on a "column by column" basis, but in practice, the ACO-FIA are attempting to more or less "balance/unbalance" ERS options between different columns (recall the ACO-FIA declarations according to which a 2/4 MJ diesel is supposed to be nearly equivalent to a 4/6 MJ petrol).

I have already expressed my view on the "ERS incentive", but this parameter once again screws up the entire picture. It would have been far better for the ACO-FIA to opt for a true equivalence between ALL ERS options, rather than this "mess".

Now, a better (?) may of balancing the ERS options might be to directly compensate the diesel overweight by imposing a corresponding amount of ballast to the petrol cars (and get rid of the KTF), thereby putting both technologies on equal footing in terms of the ability to integrate bigger hybrid systems.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3426727)   #1205
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
As far as I know higher compression ratio with a little richer mixture is easily achievable (higher power with air restrictors), but some of you are forgetting that Toyota achieved this on a fuel saving lean mixture.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 11:48 (Ref:3426733)   #1206
dbagtbag
Racer

Japan
Michigan, USA
dbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddbagtbag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Now, a better (?) may of balancing the ERS options might be to directly compensate the diesel overweight by imposing a corresponding amount of ballast to the petrol cars (and get rid of the KTF), thereby putting both technologies on equal footing in terms of the ability to integrate bigger hybrid systems.
^
That sounds like a pretty simple way of keeping EoT under control

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
As far as I know higher compression ratio with a little richer mixture is easily achievable (higher power with air restrictors), but some of you are forgetting that Toyota achieved this on a fuel saving lean mixture.
They are running a lambda (air fuel equivalence) of around 0.9-1.1 which means they are running both lean and rich. However for fuel saving reasons they are probably running lean at high rpms and rich at lower rpms to help torque and prevent preignition down low.
Old 26 Jun 2014, 22:15 (Ref:3426948)   #1207
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
You consider these two factors independent, but they are clearly not

Its difficult? They chose a bigger heavier engine this year. You post as if they had no choice but to 'upsize' I posted the talk of the two men were on different fronts. They are independent statements.
Quote:
The two issues are however intimately linked to one another since the performance of all ERS options is exclusively adjusted via the relevant fuel allocation figures.

If the equivalence between diesel and petrol happens to be adjusted in favour of petrol (following Vasselon's "desire") - which would translate into a further increase of the FTF - that would inevitably make the situation even worse in terms of the (once again) artificial gap of performance resulting from the "ERS incentive".
Like above, Audi chose to go larger engine smaller ers. You're stating its linked, but the comments are not linked. Saying they go against eachother is wrong. Luepen says no adjustment is needed for Audi. Vasselon says the engine equivalency is still favorable to diesel. Looks to me theyre on the same page.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 00:14 (Ref:3426974)   #1208
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would you trust Pascal Vasselon, Rob Leupen, or anyone involved with the Toyota program to make a call about the BOP between themselves and Audi. That's awfully naive. Not saying we can trust Audi either. Lets just wait and see...
Old 27 Jun 2014, 00:21 (Ref:3426976)   #1209
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Its difficult? They chose a bigger heavier engine this year. You post as if they had no choice but to 'upsize' I posted the talk of the two men were on different fronts. They are independent statements.
The major weight difference between a diesel engine and a petrol engine of the same power rating does not come from Audi's decision to upscale from 3.4 Litres to 3.7 liters. That is a 300mL difference. That effects to 50 mL per cylinder. That volume increment is 10 times smaller than a bottle of Poland Spring Water...In short, it has done very little to the engine's weight.

The weight difference comes from fundamental part of a diesel engine's operation. I thought we were past this? The difficulty in running a larger ERS is a penalty they would have had whether they stuck with the 3.4 liter or upgraded to the 3.7.

The 50kg difference is almost half the weight of Toyota Supercapacitors or ~3MJ worth. How is that for comparison?
Old 27 Jun 2014, 04:46 (Ref:3427010)   #1210
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
The major weight difference between a diesel engine and a petrol engine of the same power rating does not come from Audi's decision to upscale from 3.4 Litres to 3.7 liters. That is a 300mL difference. That effects to 50 mL per cylinder. That volume increment is 10 times smaller than a bottle of Poland Spring Water...In short, it has done very little to the engine's weight.

The weight difference comes from fundamental part of a diesel engine's operation. I thought we were past this? The difficulty in running a larger ERS is a penalty they would have had whether they stuck with the 3.4 liter or upgraded to the 3.7.

The 50kg difference is almost half the weight of Toyota Supercapacitors or ~3MJ worth. How is that for comparison?
Youre numbers are mixed up. Audi went to 4 liters. Toyota went 3.7 liters. Where do you have engine weight of Audi's v6's? Theyre own admission this year is its 30-50kg heavier than Toyota or Porsche. Toyota's is ~100kg. So Audi has 130kg-150kg. Is that the same or heavier than 2013?

You know its so easy to say Audi is stuck with a heavy diesel, but the fact is they arent. They could have downsized to 3liters or stayed the same size and worked on lighter components with the same engine. They decided against that and went larger, AND decreased their hybrid power limit. So when you say things like "how can Toyota know..." its not hard to come to the conclusion on how. Its no secret the engines of diesel cars are heavier, but when you complain about competitors being faster while you set two out of three fastest laps and won Le Mans, you look silly.

When Luepen says "they haven't developed their hybrid" its not off the mark. Instead of doing like your two main rivals and taking advantage of more hybrid power allowed, they go and do less than 2012-13. Thats why his comments dont look like theyre biased.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 05:42 (Ref:3427019)   #1211
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
So, Audi should have designed a lighter diesel engine ? That's your point ?

Do you honestly believe that Audi could have saved 1/3 of the engine weight of their V6 TDI, which is understood to weigh something in the range of 150 kg (possibly more), to be on par with the Toyota V8 that is understood to weigh about 100 kg ?

I know that Audi have good engineers, but they can't do miracles...
Old 27 Jun 2014, 05:52 (Ref:3427022)   #1212
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
An efficient engine is and always was heavier, there is no short cut. There many things you can do with petrol engine to be on pair with diesel (D-EGR comes to mind, Peugeot where are you?)

We are seeing some very different concepts of the whole car's efficiency and currently under this weight limits we are seeing all cars consume ~139 MJ per lap, the worst thing that can happen in future years is that only one concept proves as the best, then we will have some boring chats of one system on this Forum
Old 27 Jun 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3427028)   #1213
deltawing
Racer

deltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddeltawing should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasperG View Post
..... the worst thing that can happen in future years is that only one concept proves as the best, then we will have some boring chats of one system on this Forum
And that is coming, whether we like it or not!
Old 27 Jun 2014, 07:47 (Ref:3427048)   #1214
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
So, Audi should have designed a lighter diesel engine ? That's your point ?

Do you honestly believe that Audi could have saved 1/3 of the engine weight of their V6 TDI, which is understood to weigh something in the range of 150 kg (possibly more), to be on par with the Toyota V8 that is understood to weigh about 100 kg ?

I know that Audi have good engineers, but they can't do miracles...
Youre putting words in my mouth. I never said they could drop to the weight of Toyota's engine. I never said they should try to match that weight either. I said they have no reason to complain that the higher ers classed cars are faster when they went backwards in the ers energy allowance. They could have kept the same engine/hybrid combo from 2012/13 (900-915kg weight) and go 4mj with some work towards the hybrid aspect. But they chose not to and now say things arent fair.

Do you understand better what Im saying? I know people like to say "its too heavy" for them to keep the flywheel and associated hybrid tech at that level (4mj). But really, is it? They couldn't make 870kg with their "lightest lmp ever"? I dont believe that.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 08:08 (Ref:3427051)   #1215
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Youre putting words in my mouth. I never said they could drop to the weight of Toyota's engine. I never said they should try to match that weight either. I said they have no reason to complain that the higher ers classed cars are faster when they went backwards in the ers energy allowance. They could have kept the same engine/hybrid combo from 2012/13 (900-915kg weight) and go 4mj with some work towards the hybrid aspect. But they chose not to and now say things arent fair.

Do you understand better what Im saying? I know people like to say "its too heavy" for them to keep the flywheel and associated hybrid tech at that level (4mj). But really, is it? They couldn't make 870kg with their "lightest lmp ever"? I dont believe that.
Which still leaves us with the FACT that the V6 TDI has approx. a 50kg handicap compared to the V8 used by Toyota, irrespective of the ERS option or hybrid system that they are using. That means 50kg that cannot be exploited to integrate the hybrid system.

BTW, the 4.0L V6 TDI weighs less than the former 3.7L V6 TDI according to various statements from Audi and Dr. Baretzky in particular.

And there is once again a good reason why Audi went for the 2 MJ ERS option at the time, namely that all ERS options were supposed to be on equal footing when they made that decision. That "ERS incentive" thing came only afterwards. That's what Audi have been complaining about following the last Appendix B changes that were decided shortly before the WEC season started.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 08:47 (Ref:3427066)   #1216
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Looking at this from a different perspective, would Toyota be able to integrate a 6 MJ or 8 MJ hybrid system if they were to be handicapped by a 50kg ballast to compensate for the diesel overweight ? Same question applies for Porsche BTW.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3427074)   #1217
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
If we don't know how much the whole "6 MJ ERS" weights we can only guess.

Is it 150 kg? Then 4 MJ would be possible for Toyota and 50 kg ballast
Is it less than 150 kg? Then yes, only 2 MJ would be possible with 50 kg ballast
Old 27 Jun 2014, 09:30 (Ref:3427080)   #1218
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Usually are diesel cars that get ballast because of diesel insane torque, is very unlikely that petrol cars will receive an extra ballast because diesel engine is heavier. Anyway to me, toyota should increase displacement of their engine... with a 4.0 or 4.5 could be obtained more torque and a lower revving engine to be less conditioned by possible hybrid reliability issues.
Old 27 Jun 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3427214)   #1219
Articus
Veteran

In retrospect, this shot of the 2013 TS030 rear wing is very interesting. You can almost see how one thing led to another and we ended up with the 2014 1st gen wing.

gret shots from this guy on twitter https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/media.

Never really noticed before but the aerodynamic detail on this Toyota is nothing short of Stunning.

Last edited by Articus; 27 Jun 2014 at 16:29.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3429093)   #1220
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
At last some further news about the "Winggate" courtesy of motorsport-total.com.

So, based on Vasselon's comments, passing the deflection tests is sufficient demonstration of the "legality" of the movable rear wing...
Old 1 Jul 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3429108)   #1221
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Well it is to the regulators, and that is ultimately what matters. Precedence has been set in this area (most notably by Red Bull, which I will keep mentioning until everyone is sick of it!); the only verifiable way of checking legality is the test. It passed, so it's clear to race regardless of what the wing actually does in race conditions.

Whether it will be seen on the car next year is another question entirely. Now if the FIA were to implement a rotation test this conversation would be rather different
Old 1 Jul 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3429110)   #1222
Articus
Veteran

Easy fix would just be to allow active rear wings. At least that way you don't need an elaborate flexing rear end to run it.

It just occurred to me that accidents look so bad because the bodywork is so flimsy on these cars when it's not in place that it shreds like confetti when they hit the barriers.
Old 1 Jul 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3429113)   #1223
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
(...) the only verifiable way of checking legality is the test. It passed, so it's clear to race regardless of what the wing actually does in race conditions.(...)
So seeing/noticing the rear wing ACTUALLY moving at speed on video footage and picture evidence clearly highlighting that the rear wing pivots between two READILY identifiable positions is not sufficient ?

What's the point of having regulations if ultimately the only thing that matters is passing scrutineering tests ?
Old 1 Jul 2014, 17:46 (Ref:3429116)   #1224
Bandicoot17
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Bandicoot17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So seeing/noticing the rear wing ACTUALLY moving at speed on video footage and picture evidence clearly highlighting that the rear wing pivots between two READILY identifiable positions is not sufficient ?

What's the point of having regulations if ultimately the only thing that matters is passing scrutineering tests ?
Red Bull pulled the same trick in F1. If scrutineering is what 'verifies' the rules, and the car gets through scrutineering, it is technically legal yes?
Old 1 Jul 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3429117)   #1225
Articus
Veteran

Unfortunately no regulation can be waterproof if scrutineering is the lay of the land.

Porsche and Audi are annoyed because now they have to figure out how to copy it. Just like how Audi copied the Toyota full width rear wing last year. They did it, but were annoyed about the whole deal because it wasn't in the spirit of the regulations.

Toyota chose to be that team.