Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 20 Nov 2002, 17:14 (Ref:433352)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony Cottman & Motorola team members may start a new team...

Could Tony Cottman be lining up a new team?

After the Mexico City race, Chris Pook met with a group of folks that currently are employed on the Motorola team.Tony Cottman who is the team manager, along with about 8 other Motorola team members still in their uniforms, were in the CART buisness center for about 1 1/2 hours. Apparently they were talking a "potential" team opportunity next year.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 17:20 (Ref:433357)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be good, of course.

PS: I think it's written Cotman, with a single "T". Sorry Molson, but it's my obsession for correct names...
Old 20 Nov 2002, 18:15 (Ref:433388)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
There are likely a hundred people who would want to start up a team. Trouble is finding a hundred like-minded sponsors! But wouldn't it be great if Motorola themselves were behind all this? Perhaps they want to stay in CART?
Old 20 Nov 2002, 18:18 (Ref:433390)   #4
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
macdaddy (yer not far off!)
Old 21 Nov 2002, 05:55 (Ref:433721)   #5
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they've dropped Andretti next year (Motorola that is.) haven't they
Old 21 Nov 2002, 06:11 (Ref:433730)   #6
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorola and Kool not following Mikey to IRL, Hmmm...

I sure hope they stay in CART. It seems like a good match.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 08:20 (Ref:433776)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd still like to know who all those sponsors were that forced Mikey to make his "bidness" decision ...

But it'd be great if Motorola could stay and to hear what they say to "Why didn't you go with Mikey to the Other League then?"
Old 21 Nov 2002, 08:25 (Ref:433779)   #8
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously the lack of bums on seats at most IRL venues. Motorola is an international brand, and thats the direction I think CART is heading in.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 11:58 (Ref:433890)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know for sure the way the Tobacco laws work, but wasn't it mentioned around here that once a fag company pulled out they couldn't re-enter, and haven't Kool said previously that they would pull out.

I thought Motorola were getting out of racing as they are in need of cash?
Old 21 Nov 2002, 12:38 (Ref:433915)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Kool is definitely out of racing completely. I thought I'd heard Motorola couldn't afford to keep racing but perhaps they have done a deal with Pook.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 15:44 (Ref:434016)   #11
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard that Motorola is still with Michael but the the sponsorship deal is not worth that much. Also that Michael was shopping Tony Kanaan (looking for a ride). Rumor has it that Michael asked Mario to find him a ride in CART. Nunn seemed interested only if Michael paid for some of his contract.

A lot of this maybe just rumors and speculations but isn't just about anything you read today just that?
Old 21 Nov 2002, 15:48 (Ref:434019)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I"m likely going to have to be dealing with Motorola products for the next few years, so it would be good if I was happy about what the company was doing.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 21 Nov 2002, 16:31 (Ref:434053)   #13
Liz
Veteran

I heard something like this but what I heard was that it all fell apart. Could it be that some people are not as overjoyed to be traveling in circles as they'd like some other people to believe?
Old 21 Nov 2002, 17:25 (Ref:434115)   #14
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
most crewmembers love the international travel and they love the excitement at the venues CART has. you can't find that in IRL. With all the CART B-to-B meetings planned for next year, Motorola may be attracted to that.

The rumors of Motorola-Andretti budget slashing are not being commented on. But if you realistically look at the situation: Kanaan, Andretti and Franchitti all in cars sponsored by a financially floundering, job-cutting corp so-called major sponsor? I'd be surprised to see it all happen.
Old 21 Nov 2002, 17:38 (Ref:434123)   #15
pferrf1
Rookie

pferrf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Honda guaranteed Andretti $15M for next year. That is it. IF you look at the salaries of the rdrivers alone....Dario $5M, Tony $1.5M, Mikey $8M. the money is gone there. May explain why Dan Wheldon was signed at a reported $250K Even if you take Mikey's salary out of the equation.....the money just isn't going so far anymore.