Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 5 Feb 2003, 15:47 (Ref:497381)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many of you would not watch sports car racing at all if...

faced with only Grand American Daytona Prototypes?

I would personally not watch Grand Am if ALMS were, for whatever reason, to go away.

I personally love the ALMS and the direction they are taking too much and hate the DP concept too greatly to tune in to G/A, regardless of options.

I personally liked the old SRP formula. Reasonably high tech cars that put the infocus on private entries, putting on a good show. The new class has more restricions on it than GT, and it shows. It is virtually a rear engined stock car with a wing and fuel injection.
Old 5 Feb 2003, 16:11 (Ref:497406)   #2
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If all that existed was GT, I'd watch. In fact, I pretty much ignored the DPs this past weekend (as much as I could, given all the coverage Brumos got).

If all that existed was rovals, I wouldn't watch. That infield is pretty boring, and it gets worse (eg Texas). The main thing GA has going for it this year is the Glen and VIR.

I live close to Mosport. Fast corners, slow corners, left, right, elevation changes. That's what it's about for me.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 5 Feb 2003, 16:15 (Ref:497410)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I don't feel very concerned by Grand-Am, especialy now... I'm concerned by ALMS because the ACO rules : I'm a LM fan before the rest, and I'll go to Lm even if the race becomes what it was in the very awful years...
Old 5 Feb 2003, 16:50 (Ref:497429)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If all that existed was GT or the Daytona protos, I would certainly have to think carefully about Le Mans - but the ACO would never let that happen.......
Old 5 Feb 2003, 22:07 (Ref:497783)   #5
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll watch just about anything that roars around a track on four wheels if I get desperate, but I found "lots" of other things to do last weekend after checking out the first hour or so at Daytona...

You can bet I won't be so "busy" when the Sebring telecast comes on in March...

Even if it was the Only Racing, I wouldn't tune in like I do for other forms of the sport....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 5 Feb 2003, 22:28 (Ref:497829)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: How many of you would not watch sports car racing at all if...

I'd still watch the GTs. I would find the GrandAm formula not without appeal if it weren't for the ugliness of the DSPs. (on the other hand, if they were to cut those horrible roofs off...)
Old 5 Feb 2003, 23:32 (Ref:497905)   #7
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
If all that existed was GT, I'd watch. In fact, I pretty much ignored the DPs this past weekend (as much as I could, given all the coverage Brumos got).

If all that existed was rovals, I wouldn't watch. That infield is pretty boring, and it gets worse (eg Texas). The main thing GA has going for it this year is the Glen and VIR.

I live close to Mosport. Fast corners, slow corners, left, right, elevation changes. That's what it's about for me.
I pretty much have to agree with Paul in regards to his above statement. But if IMSA/ALMS went away (which I kinda doubt, although I could see it seperating from the ACO and becoming something else) there would still be the various European based GT/proto formula's to follow. Just not in person yearly.

The bottom line is I'm pretty much back in the 'sportscar camp' again, after years of giving up on it and primarily following CART/F1. Now I've pretty much given up on CART, so I havta follow something .....and if it's only GT's,...well then, it's only GT's. But one thing is for sure, I doubt I could ever get excited about the DSP concept.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 00:03 (Ref:497929)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd follow Le Mans as I did in the good old days; and I'd wait for the wheel to turn again as it always does. Time will do away with the DSPs. The Porsches will race on forever.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 13:24 (Ref:498411)   #9
Brant
Rookie

Brant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The DSP's aren't fast enough for an elite catagory. If they really want a low cost series, why not at least go with a more powerful spec engine purchased in mass. Like the Judd?MG or CART engines. Not cheap, but not overwhelming either. I can't say the cars look beautiful, but their unique looking. However on the track they simply look like golf carts!
MORE POWER!

Ohh and by the way, I love and miss Mosport, I'm on the wrong coast.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 21:29 (Ref:498869)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Brant
The DSP's aren't fast enough for an elite catagory. If they really want a low cost series, why not at least go with a more powerful spec engine purchased in mass. Like the Judd?MG or CART engines.
Because they want manufacturer involvement, at least up to a certain level (at least on the commercial side of it all). And why not - I for myself find spec-engined series less attractive than those that offer a choice.
But, when you want to have a visual "link" to road cars then why not make it a silhouette series รก la TA/AGT? That's something they should know. I find these cars infinitely more attractive (from a purely visual standpoint) than the DSPs.
Old 6 Feb 2003, 22:25 (Ref:498922)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, being in england, there is no coverage of sportscars really (unless you like watching poorly made motorsport review shows at 3am, or british GT's at 7am on a saturday), so i don't watch any.
Satellite and digital are still too expensive to consider for our family so there really is no issue here for me.

BUT, given the choice, if all that was on was DP roval racing then no, i would definitely not watch.