Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 28 Dec 2003, 10:24 (Ref:821745)   #1
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Top Ten Tin Top Roll.

MN this week reveals that Ambrose and Murphy are ranked 6th and 8th respectively in the Top Ten Tin Top drivers in "Autosport". Well done, and they drive in the best series in the world too

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 28 Dec 2003, 10:28 (Ref:821746)   #2
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to Skaifey ?
Old 28 Dec 2003, 10:45 (Ref:821752)   #3
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My guess is whoever wrote up this chart used some sort of championship points available to points scored calculation to work out the ratings.

I recon Ambrose is well deserved to be right up there though.

Remind me what Big Nose's reaction was when Ambrose was fastest in Qyualifying at his first Race.......
Old 28 Dec 2003, 10:50 (Ref:821756)   #4
Mattracer
Veteran

I can't remind 'cos I wasn't there but I think you know without my help.

Interesting that the article states that Skaife was in the ten in '02 but not this year. :confused:

Old 28 Dec 2003, 11:40 (Ref:821771)   #5
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Something along the lines of (with expletives deleted) ".......you prove to me that he didnt cut any corners...." (Melbourne GP 2001)

Apparently no-one is allowed to go faster than the nosed one at first attempt!

Interestingly enough, he did it again at his first attempt at Bathurst
Old 28 Dec 2003, 12:01 (Ref:821781)   #6
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
INHO Ambrose is a better driver at the same stage of his career than Skaife was. And he will only get better.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 04:45 (Ref:822277)   #7
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much better Pete much better..
Old 29 Dec 2003, 11:27 (Ref:822496)   #8
Forbesy
Racer

Forbesy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
INHO Ambrose is a better driver at the same stage of his career than Skaife was. And he will only get better.
Just a query, at what stage do you consider to be the same as what Ambrose was at? Given he did 2-3 years racing in the toughest motorsport environment in the world, I'd say Marcos was very well prepared as a racer before he began in 2001.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 23:54 (Ref:823033)   #9
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Big nose has spent his entire career in the hands of the biggest and best teams in Australia, with Cigarette or factory money, sometimes both, and has also raced in europe and in FHolden/Brabham. Plenty of experience and plenty of time behind the wheel of these type of cars.

He certainly didnt make his way to the front as suddenly as Mr Ambrose, and no doubt Marcus still has a bit of experience to catch up on.

No doubt at the moment, Ambrose is pretty bloody close to as good as Skaff (sic) has ever been and will still improve from here, I hope!

We will be able to tell when he eclipses MS, cos he would have to turn into an arrogant @rsehole to better him in every way now wouldnt he
Old 31 Dec 2003, 07:50 (Ref:824274)   #10
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
couldnt have put it any better rdmdog, like most of the so called holden superstars skaife has had the best machinery available to him for the majority of his career, after he got a start with GMS in the nissan the only time he has had 'inferior' equipment was when the cigarette sponsorship dissapered, yet even though he still had a better infrastructure & more money than the privateers he couldnt compete unless cheating, like season 94 when at symons plains the team were found out about the front wheel sensors they had fited to the car & from that time on untill he started to race for HRT he didnt have a decent result
Old 1 Jan 2004, 06:47 (Ref:825046)   #11
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by rocket
.......more money than the privateers he couldnt compete unless cheating, like season 94 when at symons plains the team were found out about the front wheel sensors they had fited to the car & from that time on untill he started to race for HRT he didnt have a decent result
Well I didnt say it

Waiting for a swift bout of retribution here rocket...
Old 1 Jan 2004, 07:52 (Ref:825069)   #12
F|sh
Racer

F|sh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
froma point of veiw were i only got to see one round live ( barbagallo) both murph and ambrose deserve a good ol pat on the bak and someone give skaifey the finger.

also someone who did have a good year i reckon was steve ellery and team dynamik and jason richards.

anyone read in AA they fugged up a page were they went to do the top ten races of the year but the next page was the top ten drivers?
Old 3 Jan 2004, 04:48 (Ref:826186)   #13
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Always amuses me these "who's better than who...?" things and the way people knock the various drivers. In my (humble) view, there are only 5 drivers currently capable of winning the V8SC title - Ambrose, Ingall, Skaife, Lowndes and Murphy - and you have to have a decent car to do it. These guys are simply better drivers than the others now, no question about it. And as for the knocking of Skaife, you can not query his record. Sure, Lowndes towelled him for a couple of seasons in the same car but I'll bet you London to a brick that Skaife is better at setting a car up than Lowndes...thats why he eventually got the better of him. Nowadays, its not good enough to be just a gifted driver, you gotta make sure the car is perfect. I reckon Lowndes is probably the most talented man on the grid but if he doesnt get better technically, he'll never win again. For those of you who have a go at Skaife, take a look at his CV right from the start...he doesnt fail for long. And I'm a Ford fan!
Old 3 Jan 2004, 05:12 (Ref:826197)   #14
Peter Walsh
Racer

Peter Walsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How did the Thex go?Was there an Eddie the eagle award?
Old 4 Jan 2004, 00:01 (Ref:826958)   #15
Mattracer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6
Always amuses me these "who's better than who...?" things and the way people knock the various drivers. In my (humble) view, there are only 5 drivers currently capable of winning the V8SC title - Ambrose, Ingall, Skaife, Lowndes and Murphy - and you have to have a decent car to do it. These guys are simply better drivers than the others now, no question about it. And as for the knocking of Skaife, you can not query his record. Sure, Lowndes towelled him for a couple of seasons in the same car but I'll bet you London to a brick that Skaife is better at setting a car up than Lowndes...thats why he eventually got the better of him. Nowadays, its not good enough to be just a gifted driver, you gotta make sure the car is perfect. I reckon Lowndes is probably the most talented man on the grid but if he doesnt get better technically, he'll never win again. For those of you who have a go at Skaife, take a look at his CV right from the start...he doesnt fail for long. And I'm a Ford fan!
Lowndes has the X factor edge, he's just so unruffled at the limit, which for him is just as well as the limit arrives sooner in the cars he's had recently than it does for some of the others.

Old 4 Jan 2004, 00:43 (Ref:826990)   #16
DaveOrama
Rookie

DaveOrama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubt about Skaifeys skills in all things relating to driving and car setup, but it will be interesting to see if he can juggle team management and still keep winning. Luckily he has good people and good team infrastructure, but so did Seton for a while.....
Old 4 Jan 2004, 00:49 (Ref:826992)   #17
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveOrama
No doubt about Skaifeys skills in all things relating to driving and car setup, but it will be interesting to see if he can juggle team management and still keep winning. Luckily he has good people and good team infrastructure, but so did Seton for a while.....
If Skaife can juggle these tasks, he is a bone fide genius. Lets look at the role call of those it has beaten before - Alan Moffat, Dick Johnson, Glen Seton, Mark Larkham...those guys could all steer a bit before running the show completely. The declines of Seton and Larkham were particularly swift and sad.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 10:44 (Ref:828108)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

They were but the economic climate and commercial pressures they operated under were very different from the family team scenario of the '70s and '80s.

But I take your point, the trend is very much away from the ownder/driver. Skaife has done this before at GMS and was forced to when the Winfield money was removed. HRT is so big that delegation would be very high in the scheme of things. It would have to be.

Old 5 Jan 2004, 21:05 (Ref:828761)   #19
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
The Nose always had factory rubber available too, up until V8s went to control tyres.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 03:32 (Ref:829103)   #20
F|sh
Racer

F|sh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice rdmdog the nose ahhah. anyway go ambrose in 2004