Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 11 Jun 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1631707)   #1
enduro1sttimer
Rookie

enduro1sttimer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team's Radio Communications Brand of Choice

Hi All

I posted this in the technology section, but not getting any responses there.

I'm wanting to know the choices are out there in regards to what teams use for their comms. Besides the Peltor Lite-Com series, what else is there?

And what are the main features to look out for when choosing a comms package for a team?

thanks guys..

cheers
Old 11 Jun 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1631840)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A board with someone who knows what they're doing is a good thing. But electronics? Too difficult.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1632995)   #3
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you want to know? this is my field.

I won't do a sales pitch on here, but I don't deal in cheap rubbish from China.

PM on it's way.

Rob.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 22:29 (Ref:1633010)   #4
Simon Mason
Rookie

Ireland
Northampton
Simon Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We use an Autotel (Race Radio) pits to car system. On the whole it works very well, is Peltor compatiable which is pretty much essential if you want versatility but sadly Autotel are somewhat pricey. However, their backup has thus far been reasonable if again on occassion pricey.

With regard to drivers head sets it is essential to use ear plug type communication not ear pieces in the helmet type for anything serious. Just gives you more versatility in car types.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 02:18 (Ref:1633094)   #5
enduro1sttimer
Rookie

enduro1sttimer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Mason
We use an Autotel (Race Radio) pits to car system. On the whole it works very well, is Peltor compatiable which is pretty much essential if you want versatility but sadly Autotel are somewhat pricey. However, their backup has thus far been reasonable if again on occassion pricey.

With regard to drivers head sets it is essential to use ear plug type communication not ear pieces in the helmet type for anything serious. Just gives you more versatility in car types.
thanks for the reply simon. do you mean backup as in support?

was there any criteria to which you decided what models to use? do you mind telling me what autoel pitcrew and driver system you have.. and what are some features that are lacking / just right / not needed in that model you're using. what size of crew do you have? and has there been a need to upgrade in a certain part of the radio comms since first purchased?

thanks racing59 for the pm. at this stage, i'd like to digest as much info before making any decision.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1633791)   #6
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for support, I will be at Britcar meetings in the future, as I'll be in the V8 Supercars.

As for autotel compatible - it's down to the connectors no problem. They are pretty well standard.

The other outfit doing headsets for motorsport use (other than Peltor)are "Talking Headsets", who are a professional outfit supplying all parts of industry, as well as some F1 teams (through other suppliers).

I deal with them.

I agree with you Simon, earplug type "headsets" are the proper way to go. I have used motorcycle type helmet sets, which are ok in "quiet" saloons, and even work fairly well in my V8 powered thundersaloon.

The move in terms of technology is towards Digital Signal Processing, which reduces or removes the background noise. Autotel are b* expensive in this area, if not extracting the michael!

I cannot knock them for their on-site support.

But I won't say any more. It's not ethical.

Rob.
(Member of the Federation of Communication Services)
Old 13 Jun 2006, 23:51 (Ref:1633922)   #7
Simon Mason
Rookie

Ireland
Northampton
Simon Mason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fundamentally we use the RR770 system. One car kit and one pit to car head set. When we need more i.e. the 24hr race we just hire more head sets. We also have a couple of spare items.. just incase.

The only issues we have have had of any concern were with the steering wheel switch. It is fairly fragile in structure and it took two broken ones to counter its fragilities but now its good. Reception is good upto about 2 miles.

If your talking EERC meetings or British GT they attend the official test days and once you have tracked them down they always turn up to sort the concerns we may have had.

But as Rob says, you do feel like your pants are being taken down everytime you buy something. So definately shop around and sounds like Rob is a good strating piont.