Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Mar 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1552784)   #1
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BMW in BTCC

I hear that after BMW's WTCC sucess the E46 320 has been made available for privateers to race in the BTCC.

I hope to follow the BTCC much closer this year, I went to the round at silverstone last year, and thought it was great. I'm a bit of a BMW fan - but a newbie when it comes to BTCC. Do we have any decent drivers? I ould have thought that we might run away with it.

Any thoughts
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1552848)   #2
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
I hear that after BMW's WTCC sucess the E46 320 has been made available for privateers to race in the BTCC. Any thoughts
I think the BMW or any S2000 car has always been available to privateers in the BTCC for the last 2-3 years. In the WTCC, I believe it was since inception in '00.

However, no one had the money to buy one or thought it was competitive enough until now? For a while, the BTCC equivalency rules were not too friendly toward S2000 cars?

Can someone else confirm this?
Old 19 Mar 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1552860)   #3
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
I think the BMW or any S2000 car has always been available to privateers in the BTCC for the last 2-3 years. In the WTCC, I believe it was since inception in '00.

However, no one had the money to buy one or thought it was competitive enough until now? For a while, the BTCC equivalency rules were not too friendly toward S2000 cars?

Martyn Bell is racing an ex-Schnitzer BMW this year in the BTCC.

http://marklanyon.com/gallery/Testing/IMG_3994
Old 19 Mar 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1552882)   #4
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
maybe they're cheaper now too .. as these became "obsolete" in WTCC ..

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1552896)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we'll see an explosion of BMW's in the BTCC next year when the series converts fully to S2000 rules.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:12 (Ref:1552901)   #6
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Correct, Edenbridge ran a BMW a few years ago for half a season but couldnt get any heat into the rear tyres, so they dropped out
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1552908)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, that is one of the excuses they used.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1552961)   #8
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:

You can buy a S2000 BMW for around 220,000 Euro.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1552968)   #9
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
Correct, Edenbridge ran a BMW a few years ago for half a season but couldnt get any heat into the rear tyres, so they dropped out
Yes, you'd think they'd get some heat in 5 or 6 laps. Staying out for half a season seems extreme.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1552983)   #10
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Yes, you'd think they'd get some heat in 5 or 6 laps. Staying out for half a season seems extreme.
Lol

Of course the problem is that the circuits used by the BTCC don't suit rwd cars, so even when the BTCC switches to s2000 rules next year, those cars aren't going to be competitive.

If Bell can qualify consistently in the top ten he'll be doing well.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1552986)   #11
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a copy of the press release from the press release section.

MARTYN BELL BMW MSA Dunlop BTCC Launch

On the 2nd March 2006 at 5.45pm Martyn Bell shock North East Lincolnshire to it’s foundations when the Humberside Charger screamed his BMW 320i into the Grimsby Institute.

Martyn, in his striking red white and blue car, told the 200 strong crowd that his team and the car were as ready as they ever will be with everything in place. It’s only the first 2 rounds he’s not to sure about “Brands Hatch and me have never got on, in fact I don’t think I’ve ever won their, I’ve nearly won half a dozen times but it’s just not a circuit I go well at and I’ve never even been to Mondello Park so that’ll good fun”. But confidence is high for quite a few of the other circuits, “The BTCC is not sprint it’s a marathon, 10 round and 30 races, and remember though the BMW might not be suited to somewhere like Brands you get me at a circuit where I can stretch it’s legs a bit and we might do alright” and the starts, “I’m known to be quick of the line, comes from 15 years of motor cross, if you weren’t quick you need not bother turning up so I learnt that one a long time ago and take into account that the BMW’s rear wheel drive, we could be in better shape than we think, not at every circuit but I’ve got a good feeling about a few of my favourites”.

Martyn’s Team (Belly’s Hero’s) seem to be enjoying the experience “We’ve done what we can without testing, which we start next week. I can’t tell you much more than that at this stage, apart from we are looking forward to what could be a very interesting year”. Said Steve ‘Skip’ Skipworth. “Belly’s just about as quick as they come and if we do our bit right he’ll do alright”

“It’s taken a lot of hard work for us to get this of the ground, to go into the BTCC in a Schnitzer BMW is not an easy task, in fact me and my manager have been working on this for nearly 2 years and I can tell you back in the office we’ve got a draw full of promises, I can’t get no more in it, but promise don’t buy tyres. But we’ve managed to put together a package and Charly Lamn from Schnitzer has put his faith in us as a team so we’re here and we shall give a good account of ourselves”.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1552990)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Lol

Of course the problem is that the circuits used by the BTCC don't suit rwd cars, so even when the BTCC switches to s2000 rules next year, those cars aren't going to be competitive.

Is that down the gearbox the BMW's use then as it's still H pattern IIRC and not sequential ?
Old 19 Mar 2006, 21:13 (Ref:1553045)   #13
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well . BMW did quite good last time they run properly in BYCC 95-96 .

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Mar 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1553094)   #14
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
Lol

I thought the main problem was that the tyres used (Dunlop) didn't suit the RWD cars, they were designed more for the FWD cars. I can't see that the tracks don't suit BMWs?!
Old 19 Mar 2006, 22:26 (Ref:1553108)   #15
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BMWs weren't that competitive on BF Goodriches either though.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 23:02 (Ref:1553151)   #16
Matski
Racer

Thanks guys.

Cant they just use softer rear tyres? sorry of thats a newbie question!

Man I'm hopin' that we dont get beat by Lada in the WTCC
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 23:16 (Ref:1553171)   #17
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think if more RWD cars came into the series, then Dunlop would put some effort to helping develop some rear tyres to help RWD cars. They're not gonna avoid doing it cause it would weaken the series and RWD teams would complain no end!
Old 19 Mar 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1553182)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Cant they just use softer rear tyres? sorry of thats a newbie question!
No, it's a control tyre.

Both the Dunlop and previous BFG tyres were built to suit the majority of the field, which in BTCC terms means FWD.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 00:24 (Ref:1553229)   #19
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
You can buy a S2000 BMW for around 220,000 Euro.
Was that the price for a new E46, E90 or used E46? Is that the current pricing? So S2000 rules allow a car to be raced for up to 5 years after the bodystyle has stopped production? So divide 220,000 EURO by 5 years=45K EURO a year?

That's more expensive that what 888 wanted for their Astras? I wonder how much did TD sell his used Honda Integra for?
Old 20 Mar 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1555091)   #20
Matski
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller
Old 20 Mar 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1555107)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Was that the price for a new E46, E90 or used E46? Is that the current pricing? So S2000 rules allow a car to be raced for up to 5 years after the bodystyle has stopped production? So divide 220,000 EURO by 5 years=45K EURO a year?

That's more expensive that what 888 wanted for their Astras? I wonder how much did TD sell his used Honda Integra for?
I think a new E46.
I can't find the interview with Mario Theissen were this number was stated.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1555270)   #22
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Is that down the gearbox the BMW's use then as it's still H pattern IIRC and not sequential ?
Maybe down to the layout of the tracks and the rev limit of the BMW. It'll probably be hitting the limiter on the straights a lot.