Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 29 Oct 2000, 17:32 (Ref:45606)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recently fitted an in-car camera for a test session and have found it fantastic for analysis, yet a number of people have suggested that it is just a ****, and has no real value. What do you think? Remember we are using it for driving lines, gear changes, engine computer hand controller viewing, and steering wheel movements.
Old 29 Oct 2000, 17:45 (Ref:45609)   #2
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I guess it's valid as a development tool if, at the end of the day, after you've analysed the tape (and identified the shortcomings - yours and the cars), you can put what you've discovered into practice and reduced your times.

The other thing of course is that the excuses stop when there is proof!

Bottom line, if the times drop because you have identified areas for improvement (or because know you're being examined) and the reduction is greater than the weight penalty (handling and increase in laptimes) then, why not?

Give it a try.
Old 29 Oct 2000, 17:53 (Ref:45613)   #3
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
The plan I want to put into place, is to have two cameras and a microphone put in place during test days, and then only run one camera on race weekends.

The second camera would be to show the actually pedal movements, computer hand controller and gear changes.

The microphone, as I have said in other posts at other forums, is for technical feedback at the exact time, and place when it happened. As some things slip a drivers mind during a session. I usually tell myself to remember something for afterwards to tell the guys in the pits, but every now and then it slips your mind. And talk the feel of the car through a lap, so that they can understand exactly how it is reacting to certain things. Then they can ask you to do something different to test the car, and you can talk them through how the changes feel on the car.

What do you think of these tools, extravagent or legitimate?
Old 29 Oct 2000, 18:41 (Ref:45644)   #4
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
tis a great idea, F1 boys do it so y not u.

anyway its hard to remember exactly wot went on when u r going fast, all seems a blur.

your pit crew will like it to, cos they can see wot is actually going on.

they only weigh wot, 2kg?
nothing really is it.
0.25% of car weight?
Old 29 Oct 2000, 18:56 (Ref:45648)   #5
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah well I thought so too. It was actually the brain child of my engine builder, and vehicle engineer. I had thought about it, but I never knew it would look as good, and be as useful as it actually is. Because of the success whilst using it during our Friday test. The plan is to run a second cam on test days, as I said earlier. It was great as well afterwards because the next night the nightclub I work for had it playing up on the screen. For a bit of fun. But yeah I am also going to be able to add to the website when it comes around.