Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 10 Aug 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2518899)   #26
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Caused by too much load on the bearings, did you check that link page I posted.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2518921)   #27
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Yup, thanks for that, I've also been depressing myself reading the various causes of detonation. I just hope it hasn't fractured the crank.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2518942)   #28
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I would cc the head, and do the same with the block with piston at TDC what else can you do?
Well for one thing you would have a hell of a job with domed pistons as they normally stick out the top .
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 10 Aug 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2519023)   #29
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Its perfectly feasable to do but yes you would have to make up a little jig, where there is a will there is a way ;-). A far easier way of couse is if the spec of the piston is known. Here is a nice little online easy to use C/R calculator I use which allows a negative value for for the piston dome to be factored in. http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/crc.htm For a rough calc allow about -10cc for the dome and see what it comes up with.

I would doubt its fractured the crank, I got away with a good polish (should I rephrase that?) and mine was seriously bad!

Here is a way of measuring the dome using a flat piece of simple plastic. This is for a Supra so measurements may vary but the theory is there.

Quote:
To measure the piston dish/dome volume: (I still had the short block assembled)

Move the piston about 2 inches into the bore
apply a ring of grease around the bore just above the piston
move the piston up so the rings catch the grease and create a seal
I left my piston about 0.24" below the top of the block, that number doesn't really matter as long as you know it.
then apply grease on the top of the block around the bore
place the piece of plexi glass on top of it and make sure the grease seals to the plexi glass
Use the graduated cylinder and find out how much volume you have

Then use the 0.24" and the bore to calculate the volume of a cylinder (basically what it would be if you had a flat top piston)
Then take your calculated volume minus your measured volume and you should have a good idea of the dish/dome volume.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 10 Aug 2009 at 18:57.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2519100)   #30
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
sorry I'm late

I've been financing Messrs Payen (I've tried all the posh variants, no difference other than cost, some expensive ones are worse) well over the last year as I've been trying to gain something, and have done, albeit briefly, so now I'm reverting to 2006 spec, competitive (then) and utterly reliable

my conclusions are Anything over 12:1 is failure, 11.5-11.8 seems fine, 11:1 or less will run on pi55, 12.2 blew with sunoco 105 at Lydenn (11:1 with 2 gaskets) and 12.5 blew at SPa last year, holing a piston at the top of the Kemmel straight. my engine doesn't like really high CR. I am running flat everything . . . . wire ringing works as someone else will testify and that is the way to go for really hot motors but it won't cure advance related det or sh!t fuel. I've used 'posh' petrol and the difference there seems negligible over super/CVL, at least in my limited experience.

power wise I've gained very little extra at high CR and wasted lots of time and money so I'm going 11.5:1 32 max advance . . . aa a minor aside, I'm restricted to 40's and have found the limit

If |I don't cure my problems maybe I'll buy an Anglia and take that to Spa
Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2519107)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
And get some Jap bike carbs on it and you will be away :-)
Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2519110)   #32
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think I already proved otherwise on the 40's, points too
Old 10 Aug 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2519123)   #33
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
You certainly did!
Old 10 Aug 2009, 21:38 (Ref:2519174)   #34
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!

Joe, throw those lawn mower carbs in the bin and use mine. That's where you're going wrong !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 12 Aug 2009, 16:25 (Ref:2520320)   #35
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
rules is rules Gordon

I have a pair of Italian weber 48's under the bench
Old 12 Aug 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2520357)   #36
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
rules is rules Gordon

Italian Webers are totally useless, they give trouble and I've heard they cause fires. Tell you what I'll do you a favour take them off your hands if you like.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2520376)   #37
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
All very interesting chaps but what caused the head gasket failure!!!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 19:07 (Ref:2520386)   #38
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
I thought most were going along the lines of detonation. I don't think the gasket was seated properly and one side of the sealing rings may have been slightly offset and judging by the burns on 1 and 2 it could have caused a hot spot. Not sure about No.6 though.
I will try sitting another gasket on there to see how it fits.
Question, and it may be silly; When an engine is rebored, how is the boring machine lined up with the block, would it be possible for it to run out of line from one end to the other?
Old 12 Aug 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2520395)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would depend on the actual Boring machine/operator Tim.Run a straight edge on the outside of the bores,that should give you a rough idea.
BTW Tim,Webbers were always made in Italy,the crap one's come from Spain,you can easily tell the difference,if they are Spanish,they'll have a lot of "Flashing" on the bodies.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2520398)   #40
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
The boring machine bolts to the block as far as I am aware unless there is modern ways of doing this.

I noticed the other day that Edelbrock 4 barrel carbs for yanks are made by Webber at least they have the name engraved on the body.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2520423)   #41
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
BTW Tim,Webbers were always made in Italy,the crap one's come from Spain,you can easily tell the difference,if they are Spanish,they'll have a lot of "Flashing" on the bodies.
Yes, I know, I have a set of Spanish Webers, pre when they went broke afaik, and the castings are fine compared with my mate's new ones, which I feel I must add are a jolly fine looking set of carbs apart from a bit of roughness on the castings.

BTW, I am pretty sure I have a CR of 9.6:1
Old 12 Aug 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2520443)   #42
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
BTW, I am pretty sure I have a CR of 9.6:1
Or it may be 12:1
Old 12 Aug 2009, 21:55 (Ref:2520473)   #43
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
It may even be a diesel! :-)
Old 12 Aug 2009, 23:07 (Ref:2520506)   #44
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob View Post
Question, and it may be silly; When an engine is rebored, how is the boring machine lined up with the block, would it be possible for it to run out of line from one end to the other?
Normally the boring machine is centralized up with the bore that it's cutting at the time. So unless the block was machined wrong from new this shouldn't be a problem.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 23:09 (Ref:2520507)   #45
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
rules is rules Gordon

Still lawn mower compared to mine !
Old 13 Aug 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2520659)   #46
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Sorry to quote small block GM V8's but the theory is the same. I have read that a phenomena known as 'core shift' can happen on these blocks during the casting process that can cause bores to be ever so slightly out. Thats probably why the small block has a generous 35 thou or so between the bore and the gasket. Yours is probably a bit marginal in any case but at 60 thou over bore and high compression may be all getting on the ragged edge side of reliable.

Yes but we all know you have a genuine FIA 1200cc Anglebox with the correct homologated single choke down draught carb Gordon that can race anywhere! :-)
Old 13 Aug 2009, 08:33 (Ref:2520669)   #47
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yes but we all know you have a genuine FIA 1200cc Anglebox with the correct homologated single choke down draught carb Gordon that can race anywhere! :-)
At least you believe me Al
Old 17 Aug 2009, 20:35 (Ref:2523229)   #48
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Still lawn mower compared to mine !
I've got a ransomes . . . low on power, but its got enough torque to put your back out (or in maybe!)
Old 18 Aug 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2523884)   #49
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
ok . .. 12.2 CR failed at Lydden . . .I've sliced 1.5cc from the chambers today so hopefully 11.7 will prove a bit more reliable . . .

now . . .which head gasket? . . . . .
Old 18 Aug 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2523892)   #50
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
A thick un!