Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Dec 2012, 11:08 (Ref:3178890)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HSCC

Races to be advised
Old 27 Feb 2013, 00:40 (Ref:3211421)   #2
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HSCC Donington - Guards Trophy

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I'm already looking forward to the start of my season at Donington on 17 March. I feel like i'm going to a new school as I'm planning to race in Guard Trophy GT - and it will be the first time out in my Elan.

Who else on here races in Guards? I guess i'm really nervous as I've never driven on Dunlops in the wet - am I right to be worried?

Paul
Old 27 Feb 2013, 07:36 (Ref:3211520)   #3
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Ha ha,only when you start spinning down the Kraner Curves. You will have a lot of fun. See you there.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 07:41 (Ref:3211522)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Ha ha,only when you start spinning down the Kraner Curves. You will have a lot of fun. See you there.
Have they replaced the Craner Curves iain ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Feb 2013, 08:36 (Ref:3211544)   #5
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvalveelan View Post
I guess i'm really nervous as I've never driven on Dunlops in the wet - am I right to be worried?

Paul
Not at all, aquaplaning through the first curve lines you up nicely for the second curve.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 10:13 (Ref:3211575)   #6
HornetV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bare, but born and bred in Birmingham
HornetV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this event open to spectators at all?

Free weekend that weekend, might as well have a "Thruxton-eve" and see the HSCC machines in action
Old 27 Feb 2013, 10:20 (Ref:3211579)   #7
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetV8 View Post
Is this event open to spectators at all?

Free weekend that weekend, might as well have a "Thruxton-eve" and see the HSCC machines in action
Yes. Might pop down to Donington for this one myself.
Old 27 Feb 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3211660)   #8
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvalveelan View Post
Who else on here races in Guards? I guess i'm really nervous as I've never driven on Dunlops in the wet - am I right to be worried?

Paul
Guards novice me, although I managed a couple of rounds last year. Only been on Dunlops once in proper wet in HTC - and finished last No idea at all what the E is like in the wet as had no chance to test, but it's not going to be wet anyway. Not going to be wet.....not going to be wet.....not going to be wet.....come on, keep saying it
Old 27 Feb 2013, 14:31 (Ref:3211685)   #9
bigvalveelan
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gaunts Common, Wimborne
bigvalveelan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're all so encouraging .....

E-Types eh? I seem to have spent most of Spa last October looking at the back of one E-type or another (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=balt6Q8z06k). Really looking forward to the Guards race there in June, but now I definitely am getting ahead of myself.

I've applied for HTP for my Elan - hopefully that will be enough for HSCC to let me race even if they haven't come through in time for Donington.

Tractor is for sale if anyone is looking for one ....
Attached Thumbnails
HTP Photo lo res.jpg  
Old 1 Mar 2013, 09:22 (Ref:3212629)   #10
JonWolfe
Rookie

European Union
Gravenhurst
JonWolfe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DaveGT6 (Dave Thompson) and I will be there sharing the Grantura in Guards; really looking forward to it.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3213105)   #11
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand that we cannot get into Donnington on the Saturday until 6.30 pm because there is a track day going on all day on the Saturday. For those of us coming in from France that is a slight inconvenience and I know from bitter experience that there is no point in trying to argue the point with the track owners.
Old 2 Mar 2013, 09:23 (Ref:3213118)   #12
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
I understand that we cannot get into Donnington on the Saturday until 6.30 pm because there is a track day going on all day on the Saturday. For those of us coming in from France that is a slight inconvenience and I know from bitter experience that there is no point in trying to argue the point with the track owners.
Seems to be the norm at Donington now, really frustrating. We were told last year it was a Health & Safety issue that they had to clear that days vehicles before letting us in. Not sure what they're on about but the resultant stampede across the paddock when 50 odd various cars, trailers, trucks etc were finally allowed entry definitely wasn't safe
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 3 Mar 2013, 13:48 (Ref:3213705)   #13
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is an issue that Donington need to address. Last summer there was an HRDC meeting on the Saturday and an AMOC on the Sunday. Both with low entries so plenty of room. We arrived mid afternoon on the Saturday and expected to get in and unload and see some of our pals racing but the Gestapo would not allow it, they were talking about 8pm. We set off for the hotel with the car on the trailer but being an airport hotel we could not find any parking. Thus back down to the track and wait and wait. By the time we got unloaded and back to the hotel we were almost late for dinner. Even worse we were first on in the morning so scrutiny prevented us getting the hotel breakfast. A bit of common sense could have seen some scrutiny time for us on the Saturday.
The daft thing was that many of the HRDC folk stayed over night an watched us race!
Donington need to be less jobsworth!
Old 3 Mar 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3213734)   #14
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at that AMOC meeting too. We arrived mid morning as I had a speccy ticket from Zef (cheers ) but after initially saying we could go in we were then refused so had to reverse from the gates and park on the access road. Having walked in I found loads of room in the paddock! The gravel area was empty and would have been an ideal waiting area if they still felt the need to segregate us.

One excuse I was given was they didn't want two way traffic in the paddock, well that was a waste of time cuz come Sunday morning those HRDC guys that had stayed over were leaving all morning.

Donington's facilities are starting to slack compared to other circuits, they really do not need to be irritating their customers with jobsworth decisions. they should be doing everything they can to give us value for money.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 3 Mar 2013, 16:41 (Ref:3213738)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For this meeting last year, we turned upon the Friday (could have been Saturday, whatever the day before) when there was something else on track. We were allowed to park the trailer on the gravel inside the paddock then moved it to a more solid spot the next day. No problems at all.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3215621)   #16
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry List and Timetable published on HSCC website.

Very impressive numbers for an early start to the season. As we're before the clocks go forward its going to be tight for daylight. Mind you the Guards into twilight would be interesting.

See you there

David M
Old 7 Mar 2013, 18:41 (Ref:3215657)   #17
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good entry indeed. Link here: http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/Provis...n_V1_06.03.pdf

Cold weather forecast for the coming days and into next week so let's hope it improves towards the race weekend.
Old 7 Mar 2013, 20:38 (Ref:3215710)   #18
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Interesting to see the class B2 (metal bodied up to 2 litre, basically MGB) Guards cars racing twice but with both the 60s & 70s Historic Road Sports series grids. Not seen that before. Frees up some space I guess but wonder how the drivers will feel on their Dunlop L's surrounded by cars on Yokos, Toyos, etc?

Old 7 Mar 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3215776)   #19
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Interesting to see the class B2 (metal bodied up to 2 litre, basically MGB) Guards cars racing twice but with both the 60s & 70s Historic Road Sports series grids. Not seen that before. Frees up some space I guess but wonder how the drivers will feel on their Dunlop L's surrounded by cars on Yokos, Toyos, etc?

Can't be worse than running with the sports racers on Dunlops in Guards.

Last edited by DaveGT6; 7 Mar 2013 at 23:08.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 07:11 (Ref:3215865)   #20
AndyB
Rookie

England
Lymm
AndyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Nice to be the poor relations. No doubt the rationale will be explained at Donnington. I don't mind racing with the Roadsports, but two 20 minute races is not the same as a 40 minute pitstop race, it's not just about tracktime. I hope this does not happen at Thruxton.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3215891)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
Nice to be the poor relations. No doubt the rationale will be explained at Donnington. I don't mind racing with the Roadsports, but two 20 minute races is not the same as a 40 minute pitstop race, it's not just about tracktime. I hope this does not happen at Thruxton.
Yes, I agree, even though academic for me as when run previously in Guards it hasn't been in that class. Presume points for championship will have to be based on amalgamated results of both races.....
Old 8 Mar 2013, 10:50 (Ref:3215948)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
the irony is that all the splitting is to accomodate the B8's who are an invitation class! Keep Guards pre 66....
Old 8 Mar 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3215951)   #23
AndyB
Rookie

England
Lymm
AndyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
the irony is that all the splitting is to accomodate the B8's who are an invitation class! Keep Guards pre 66....
That's the elephant in the room...

Or split grid to GT & Sports Racers
Old 8 Mar 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3215952)   #24
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
That's the elephant in the room...

Or split grid to GT & Sports Racers
Amen to that.
Old 8 Mar 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3215954)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Andy in period 23b etc.. ran with GT's (E Types, 26R Elans, Griffs and Cobras are as quick and probably quicker). The problem are the B8's etc - they are out of period and were originally allowed to bolsterthe grid. That has now happened.

I am not sure why a B8 would want to race against pre 66 cars - it cannot feel much of an achievement to be ahead of an MGB or similar!!!