Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Jul 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3752461)   #501
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As have been said by a few others:

This is good news for Mazda, doing the tough but right thing of pulling the trigger and upgrading to a better team.

No more Joest/VW DPi rumors. lol

Now wonder if Speedsource going to stay in the series or not?
Old 18 Jul 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3752462)   #502
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Speedsource's twitter, facebook page, and website have all disappeared. Like, lights out disappeared.

Methinks Speedsource wanted to get out, and were in way over their heads.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3752465)   #503
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The article also stated this, "...Multimatic (which parted ways with Riley Technologies on the DPi/WEC P2 program)."

Unless I missed something, I was under the impression that the project was being "reorganized" with Multimatic taking the lead. I have not heard of an official split until that line above.
Yes, I believe that to be incorrect also. They are an ACO/IMSA/FIA selected constructor. I agree that 'taking the lead' would be a more appropriate statement.

L.P.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3752466)   #504
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Speedsource's twitter, facebook page, and website have all disappeared. Like, lights out disappeared.

Methinks Speedsource wanted to get out, and were in way over their heads.
That's kinda cold. Just turning everything off. At the very least they could say SOMETHING.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 16:50 (Ref:3752468)   #505
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
That's kinda cold. Just turning everything off. At the very least they could say SOMETHING.
My suspicion is that their only source of income is through Mazda and they have shuttered the company. That's the message I am receiving between the lines, anyway.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3752470)   #506
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Best team in the worst car/chassis powered by a not so great motor. Good Luck.

Wished to watch them in a VW backed dpi program
Joest will be lightyears ahead of Speedsource and to hell with VW for a bit. They made their bed - let them sleep in it.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3752471)   #507
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My suspicion is that their only source of income is through Mazda and they have shuttered the company. That's the message I am receiving between the lines, anyway.
Agreed. Moving operations from FLA to North GA, too.

Dare we say "Go Joest Mazda" since joeb is watching???
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:02 (Ref:3752472)   #508
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It does show Mazda is serious about this. The Prototype efforts always felt a bit half hearted.

Now there's a good few ex-Joest drivers kicking about who aren't Audi ambassadors. I wouldn't be surprised so see people like Bonanomi make an appearance.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3752473)   #509
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

I'm not sure he knows how to support a winning team...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3752474)   #510
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It does show Mazda is serious about this. The Prototype efforts always felt a bit half hearted.

Now there's a good few ex-Joest drivers kicking about who aren't Audi ambassadors. I wouldn't be surprised so see people like Bonanomi make an appearance.
Pair him with Bomarito for Hindaugh hilarity.

Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:20 (Ref:3752478)   #511
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Joest will be lightyears ahead of Speedsource and to hell with VW for a bit. They made their bed - let them sleep in it.
Agree, joest will be the best team in grid, but most of all I'm concerned about the engine! the mazda-AER 2.0 L4 is poor and unreliable... is so unlikely that mazda will produce a fresh new engine?
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:26 (Ref:3752480)   #512
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Quote:

Zing! I'll have to try and find a way to cope with a contending program.... Of course this means you'll get to hear some extra Mazda nonsense out of me in 2.5 months..... I'll start working on some talking points.....
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3752481)   #513
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yea, but a facebook post costs nothing.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:31 (Ref:3752482)   #514
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Agree, joest will be the best team in grid, but most of all I'm concerned about the engine! the mazda-AER 2.0 L4 is poor and unreliable... is so unlikely that mazda will produce a fresh new engine?
Fair point, but was that really a SpeedSource issue? It did make it past 1,000 miles at PLM only to go BAM before the time was up.

Joest will be able to run the engine to it's fullest. Whether the fullest is good enough or not....

Quote:
Pair him with Bomarito for Hindaugh hilarity.

Quote:

There's more Mazda's every weekend....
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:32 (Ref:3752483)   #515
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Zing! I'll have to try and find a way to cope with a contending program.... Of course this means you'll get to hear some extra Mazda nonsense out of me in 2.5 months..... I'll start working on some talking points.....
Just be sure to share some the swag you'll certainly pick up.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:33 (Ref:3752484)   #516
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think AER can fulfill Joests engine needs, either increase the capacity of the I4 to about 2.2-2.4L......fit the 2.4 V6 which will be stiffer for a better handling chassis....or increase the V6 capacity to 3.0L or so.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3752488)   #517
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually don't know... to me, stick with that AER-mazda is like beat a dead horse.... that engine has never been really reliable in the last 10 years, and sincerly I can't remember a reliable AER motor in the recent past.
A fresh engine is the right move... or maybe just rebadge a 4.2 gibson, if regs let that.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3752493)   #518
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Joest wont deal with an explodey engine for too long. theyll make them fix it.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 18:06 (Ref:3752499)   #519
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Joest wont deal with an explodey engine for too long. theyll make them fix it.
Exactly.....no place to hide now.....lightweight fragile engines have no place in an LMP
Old 18 Jul 2017, 18:21 (Ref:3752506)   #520
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ohh my...this is a big surprise.

It's all good news from my point of view (but not for SpeedSource).

First is that Mazda finally will have a strong partner. Multimatic said time ago that they will take full control of the Riley chassis ahead of next season. With the new tests and development from Joest/Multimatic, not only the Mazda will be better, the Riley won't be dead as is today.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3752511)   #521
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Feels kind of cheap to pull the plug on the season so they can send the cars to Joest instead of building a third one. I don't think they suddenly decided they can't put up with another 3 races of mediocrity after several seasons of it.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 18:33 (Ref:3752515)   #522
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Feels kind of cheap to pull the plug on the season so they can send the cars to Joest instead of building a third one. I don't think they suddenly decided they can't put up with another 3 races of mediocrity after several seasons of it.
There are homologation rules in play that lead to this decision.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 18:57 (Ref:3752525)   #523
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is absolutely HUGE for american sports car racing. Joest Mazda and Penske Acura vs the Cadillacs. and ESM Nissans getting there ducks in a row (change all the drivers bar Derani...). The history books are going to be rewritten next year and it is going to be absolutely titanic!
Old 18 Jul 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3752526)   #524
MrBloodmuffins
Rookie

MrBloodmuffins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
This is absolutely HUGE for american sports car racing. Joest Mazda and Penske Acura vs the Cadillacs. and ESM Nissans getting there ducks in a row (change all the drivers bar Derani...). The history books are going to be rewritten next year and it is going to be absolutely titanic!
All that is 110% of what everyone was hoping for even if no more manufacturers announce participation between now and Daytona next year.
Old 18 Jul 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3752535)   #525
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, this is good news but I wish Speedsource would be able to finish the season.
It is unfortunate for those planning to attend one of the remaining three races with Prototypes in 2017 who now won't be seeing cars that had been expected to run the full season. I'd be annoyed if it happened before I saw them at Mosport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
... Also doesn't answer the claim that Atherton made that there's one more DPI manufacturer coming in. Replacing SpeedSource with Joest doesn't exactly grow the field. But then again, Atherton could've been weaving a red herring.
If there is one more mysteriously unnamed manufacturer on the way for 2018, they've done a good job of keeping it a secret so far.