Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 Jan 2006, 21:20 (Ref:1494377)   #1
Un0Turb0-WP
Rookie

Australia
Un0Turb0-WP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Realistically will we ever see Super Tourers again?

What do you guys think the chances are that we get Super Touring cars sometime in the future again??

That would be something for sure, As much as i love BTCC/WTCC now
its just not the same! Where are the cars with the huge 19" wheels tucked under the fenders!
Old 3 Jan 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1494471)   #2
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dont think we will see ST again, no. Its too expensive and already done. But I hope that we see rules similair to ST in the future, or rather, quicker than S2000
Old 4 Jan 2006, 02:51 (Ref:1494515)   #3
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Realistically.....no. Bee all and end all I'm afraid. Like JMeissner said, too expensive. Same reason we'll never see a Group C sports car again.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 07:27 (Ref:1494568)   #4
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No I don't think so either, shame really as I loved those cars. Still love the sound of them when a car races somewhere. Can't say the same about the group C, dangerous things they were.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1495899)   #5
avro
Racer

avro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can still see some Super Tourers racing in the UK in 2006, albeit not in the BTCC arena.

There are at least 6 ST cars now to compete in the 2006 LMA Euro Saloon Championships

1 x 1996B Nissan Primera
1 x 1997 Nissan Primera
1 x 1999 Nissan Primera
1 x 1996 Honda Accord
1 x 1997 Honda Accord
1 x 1995 Vauxhall Cavalier

plus the occasional races by a 2000 Ford Mondeo and a 1999 Nissan Primera.

All looking good for lovers of ST cars
Old 5 Jan 2006, 23:30 (Ref:1495904)   #6
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting why there is so many Primeras racing?? Or are there just more dedicated Nissan fans?
Old 13 Jan 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1500382)   #7
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well 911 Cup cars are only a little slower than Super Tourers and have 19" (?) wheels and sit pretty flat but they are pretty dull to watch right ?

So the outright speed itself can't be that important, so why not stick 19" wheels & louder exhausts etc. on the BTCC reg cars, that won't contribute to continual costs surely? ??

What's the other cost to fabricate the inner guards to fit bigger wheels, that's not that expensive surely?

Super Tourers were still very slow compared to F3, yet they carried such a formerly massive series right? Lots of money is spent in all cases, so why not have regs for a faster style of car... bigger capacity or silhouette or what-ever. You could still make different new regs that switch to bigger engines etc., regs that lend themselves to being fast much more cheaply... mandate a ye olde Sierra style diff in the back and go racing I think?

Allowing 3L engines, or turbos, or allowing the current cut-down 2L engines to be installed in ultra light-weight silhouette chassis with a cheap control RWD transmission but real body-panels over the top. Something like that, just anything to bring back the style of Super Touring?
Old 13 Jan 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1500632)   #8
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebberForWDC
So the outright speed itself can't be that important, so why not stick 19" wheels & louder exhausts etc. on the BTCC reg cars, that won't contribute to continual costs surely? ??
The 996 GT3 Cup cars uses 18" and the Supertourers uses 19". And I agree, the BTC-Touring and the Super2000 regs should use 19" too, or atleast 18". The S2000 uses 17" now and that looks awful, and I belive the BTC-Touring has that too. However, the more free arodynamic specifications of the BTC-Touring makes them look way better then the S2000, just compare the S2000 Alfa 156 to a BTC-Touring MG ZS. Or why not the S2000 Astra that runs in STCC compared to the Astra that ran in BTCC. And my personal opinion is that hatchbacks has nothing to do on a racetrack, I hate the looks of Civics, Focuses and Leons.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 02:42 (Ref:1500975)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Allowing 3L engines, or turbos, or allowing the current cut-down 2L engines to be installed in ultra light-weight silhouette chassis with a cheap control RWD transmission but real body-panels over the top. Something like that, just anything to bring back the style of Super Touring?
Whilst an increase in capacity can't be bad, running 'ultra-light silouette chassis' with RWD would be taking them way too far from the production cars they are based on, which would be a big mistake.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 03:42 (Ref:1500986)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Whilst an increase in capacity can't be bad, running 'ultra-light silouette chassis' with RWD would be taking them way too far from the production cars they are based on, which would be a big mistake.
It's a very delicate balance. On the one hand, you want the cars to look stock enough for people to recognize and be able to relate to. On the other hand, you want them to be racy looking and performing enough to keep people's attention.

I always think single make (or hatchbacks) are good for entry level racing. Then you progress up to touring cars (sedans). The final/highest series can then be silhouette or 2 door coupe racing. That's my personal opinion.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 12:02 (Ref:1501114)   #11
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I think it would be good if the world touring regs made for cars that looked like this (but with super tourer wheels of course)..

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/scc...sp-tc-0308.jpg

Some good sustainable regs that make for very fast good looking cars would be very nice as world touring regs, I think relaxing the link to road cars a bit wouldn't hurt. If they could make regs so these spectacular cars are cheap to build/buy, plus durable and cheap & easy to run, to encourage lots of privateers & strong uptake in national series, it would be very good.
Old 14 Jan 2006, 12:25 (Ref:1501124)   #12
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
http://www.motorsport.com/photos/scc...le-jt-0270.jpg

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/scc...lr-gn-0118.jpg

etc. Sorry about the excessive Volvo photos! The Swedish championship ones don't have flares or wings like that, is that right?
Old 14 Jan 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1501127)   #13
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The Swedish championship ones don't have flares or wings like that, is that right?
They look like this:

The Super2000 Volvo S60 driven by Robert Dahlgren in STCC 2005, looks kinda ugly IMO, and bigger rims and a little more arodynamic thingies could only make it look better.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1501489)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really see why we need big wings and huge wheels for a category of car that is promoting what we drive on the road.

If we want the cars to look 'sporty', then wouldn't 'sports' models of cars do, that come complete with a deeper front bumper, boot spoiler, flared wheelarches, bigger wheels etc....

kmchow - Doesn't your ladder system basically already exist, with the entry levels series, Touring Cars, and the silouette/2 door racing being GT racing?
Old 15 Jan 2006, 08:13 (Ref:1501503)   #15
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
I don't really see why we need big wings and huge wheels for a category of car that is promoting what we drive on the road.
If it's too stock, it's too boring. Too racy and you can't relate anymore.

Quote:
kmchow - Doesn't your ladder system basically already exist, with the entry levels series, Touring Cars, and the silouette/2 door racing being GT racing?
Nope, in my "motorsports utopian" world, we wouldn't have hatchbacks in my touring car/mid level category.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 08:15 (Ref:1501505)   #16
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
The Super2000 Volvo S60 driven by Robert Dahlgren in STCC 2005, looks kinda ugly IMO, and bigger rims and a little more arodynamic thingies could only make it look better.
In late '05, the STCC Volvo team got brand new S60s? Previously, they were running the updated '04s?
Old 15 Jan 2006, 11:56 (Ref:1501599)   #17
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
If we want the cars to look 'sporty', then wouldn't 'sports' models of cars do, that come complete with a deeper front bumper, boot spoiler, flared wheelarches, bigger wheels etc....
True. Certainly the Americans seem to have different ideas, even their Monaro/GTO from that series is a world apart from the ones in other series in terms of looks & shape right? even if I think it's actually somewhat relatively stock (??)?
Old 15 Jan 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1501802)   #18
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
How should a "perfect" touring car be? Perhaps like current S2000s but with a more powerful engine?
Old 15 Jan 2006, 21:21 (Ref:1501903)   #19
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchow
In late '05, the STCC Volvo team got brand new S60s? Previously, they were running the updated '04s?
I think you are right, as I remember it they had the prodrive built S60 cars from the begining of the S2000 rules in STCC (2002) and they upgraded them themself, but for the 05 season they built there own cars compleatly and thus was able to make bigger changes to the cars as they weren't allowed with the old cars due to the homoligation, and it might be true they ran the old 04 Prodrive cars in teh begining of the season, I'm not really sure.
Old 16 Jan 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1502469)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46
How should a "perfect" touring car be? Perhaps like current S2000s but with a more powerful engine?
Like a V8 Supercar
Old 17 Jan 2006, 07:25 (Ref:1502881)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
What, two manufacturers only and control parts everywhere?

I thought a perfect Touring Car was something like what we had in Group A, in terms of cars relating to the road going cars with some improvements for racing, and still looking like the cars we buy on the outside.

To get anything like that again you would need to look at two things though, a more realistic turbo equivalency factor, and not allowing 'sporting evolutions'........
Old 18 Jan 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1503846)   #22
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To get anything like that again you would need to look at two things though, a more realistic turbo equivalency factor, and not allowing 'sporting evolutions'........
So difficult balance during Gr.A years.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1503902)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What, two manufacturers only and control parts everywhere?
I mean the looks of the car.
Old 18 Jan 2006, 22:43 (Ref:1504075)   #24
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Does it really matter there is no Xsara AWD Turbo or V8 Vectra (one-off V8 road Astra coupe at some point was there!?)?

I don't think V8 Supercars would be ideal template, their wheels are too small and bigger bodykits would be better. They don't handle normally either, I would expect leading European touring cars regs to allow for sitting flat on the track like a Ferrari, high pitch noise, with similar smaller capacity low weight ideas like Super Touring. Not no grip, long braking distances, massive body roll, massive understeer and massive oversteer on power-down. Where's the European style if it's a car where the drivers spear off into the fence if they ease the throttle on too fast, rather it should be more in line with 550 GT1 cars just slamming the throttle on agressively and braking aggressively etc.
Old 26 Jan 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1509753)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the perfect touring car should be like the old ETCC days, Rover, Jag, BMW, biggish coupes!

They are touring cars in my eyes, not Civics and Astras!

But then you have to look at budgets and what the makers want, if they wanna sell smaller cars in a market then that is what the formula should be, like the V8 cars in Oz, the NASCAR series and ETCC, thouhg the higher levels are more about brand awareness i feel

Mid eighties for me was the peak of what touring cars should be about, but sadly I dont think we will see its ilk again. Lovely cars, more endurnace style races with two drivers and the like. Actually the late eighties BTCC was quite good with a few two driver races. Who can forget Stog Blimqvist spinning the GRavett car on the last lap at Donington. The only mistake I have ever seen Stog make!!