Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 8 Nov 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1760594)   #1
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Legendary battles

I was just reading the news on Crash.net. There was an item about Chili and Foggy that made me smile. As the 2006 season is now over I thought it might be a good idea to relive these brilliant moments again, to keep warm in these cold months (although it is 17 degrees here).

I was there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash.net
Chili had been upset after falling on the last lap of race two (middle picture) while battling his fellow factory Ducati rider for victory, Frankie feeling that Foggy had cut him up earlier in the lap. Chili had made his anger clear by confronting Foggy straight after the race, but then returned again in his dressing gown at the post race press conference! All of which is now water under the bridge...
http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Chi...~id~139955.htm

Anybody else got some good memories to remind us about?
Old 8 Nov 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1760642)   #2
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really enjoyed Sete-Rossi. It was fun whilest it lasted.

Biaggi - Waldamann - Harada - Capirossi - Jaque - Nakano.
You can't tell me that wasn't a great year for 250cc?

I really like Stoner - Pedrosa.
But most, I liked the "up and coming" school of 2004 in the 125cc

Stoner - Lorenzo - Barbera - Dovisioso etc. You knew that at the end of the race it'd be thoose guys going at it tooth and nail.
Old 8 Nov 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1760909)   #3
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rainey - schwantz obviously comes to mind. A battle that lasted for years, and of which Schwantz said: I could finish 5th with Wayne 6th and be more happy with that over finishing 2nd with Wayne winning.

For me to make a battle becom really special is for it to be run over at least a couple of years. And we just didn't have that for the last decade.

Rossi and Biaggi (they even had a fight @ spain 2001 or 2002 i think), was entertaining.. Unfortunately this battle basically was only on for a couple of races, rossi was simply to good to call it a battle even though they obviously did not like each other. The same basically applies for Rossi and Gibernau, only 1 season Gibernau was a real championship contender.

Maybe Hayden and Rossi will be fighting each other for the next couple of years, although there does not seem to be any 'hate' like with rainey and schwantz. Let's hope for it, and thrown some Pedrosa and Capirossi in!
Old 9 Nov 2006, 02:54 (Ref:1761269)   #4
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my favourites -

1990 125cc Championship.
Loris Capirossi's first year in GP's and he was an immediate hit with the fans. (remember how he used to ride with a red scarf flapping in the wind)
A season long battle between Loris, Stephan Prein (Ger) and Hans Spaan (NDR) came down to the last round at Phillip Island, where any of the 3 could win the title. Prein crashed out early, leaving it a two way battle between Caparossi and Spaan for the ultimate prize.
But as it turned out Spaan not only had to contend with Loris, but also the "Italian Mafia" (Casanova, Romboni and Gresini) who had decided that they were going to do anything they could to make sure the 17 year old Italian took the title in his first year. For the whole race the mafia were swarming around Spaan like wasps, chopping him up, taking his lines and breaking his rhythm, while Loris slowly opened a gap out in front. At one point they arrived at the bottom of Lukey Heights 4 wide, with Spaan going from 2nd to 5th after being swamped under brakes. He rode absolutely brilliantly but there was no way he could break free from the onslaught and get out after Caparossi.
Loris went on to win the race and the Championship and Spaan was absolutely furious after the race (he finished 4th).

An absolute classic race!
Old 10 Nov 2006, 03:38 (Ref:1762297)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The best actual race battles I've seen:

Bayliss and Edwards in Superbikes at Imola in 2002 - in both races.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 05:47 (Ref:1762384)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think Edwards and Nicky at Assen this year was wierd and awsome at the same time.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 02:33 (Ref:1763162)   #7
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I remember Lawson-Spencer in the year of the first title for Lawson. Spencer was the best but I was for Lawson (who certainly was not slouch) and he took the title. I regard Spencer as one of the all-time best (his career was cut short by a bad tendinitis, but who cares about statistics? ).

Another season I enjoyed was Gardner against Lawson, in the title year for Wayne. WG was very entertaining to watch as he was one of the bravest with the throttle, he never would cut even if he was out of shape in the exit of the curve.

Someone said those years from Roberts to Rainey and Schwantz were unsurpassed, I don't know because I cannot opine about the pre Roberts age, but Roberts-Spencer-Lawson-Gardner-Rainey-Schwanz were a race of demigods, with Doohan the last of them (he didn't have any rival comparable to his huge talent).

These years we have Rossi. A one-off immortal or the start of a new breed of them? Maybe Pedrosa can answer this question next season.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2155635)   #8
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
*Bump*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
Someone said those years from Roberts to Rainey and Schwantz were unsurpassed, I don't know because I cannot opine about the pre Roberts age, but Roberts-Spencer-Lawson-Gardner-Rainey-Schwanz were a race of demigods, with Doohan the last of them (he didn't have any rival comparable to his huge talent).
I came across the following 8 DVD's. It's my birthday in 6 weeks (30 years old I'll be ), can I wait that long???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy
These years we have Rossi. A one-off immortal or the start of a new breed of them? Maybe Pedrosa can answer this question next season.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 16:48 (Ref:2155740)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
probly better off trying to get them on Ebay to be honest

I have WSBK from 93 to 2001, BSB from 96 to 2003 GP from 1990 to 2002, all bought on Ebay at some stage, not one has cost me over a fiver!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2156292)   #10
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Yeah, I checked Ebay, just as expensive.

Those reviews you have, are all on VHS I suppose? I have the motogp years from 2002 until 2007 on dvd, I didn't think there were any other years on dvd until I came across those 8 discs.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 10:17 (Ref:2156356)   #11
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had to pick one of those I'd like to have the 1988 review. IMO 1988 was one of the best championships ever and included one of my favourite "Legendary Battles", the French GP at Paul Ricard. A race long battle between Gardner, Lawson, Rainey, Sarron and Schwantz with Gardner blowing an engine half a lap from the finish after finally establishing a lead. He punched the tank so hard out of frustration he left a massive dent in it.

The entire 1988 review is on YouTube but unfortunately (for me) the commentary is in Spanish (I think).

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Old 19 Mar 2008, 10:32 (Ref:2156370)   #12
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
WOW, great links Bestfit, Thanks

If I was only allowed to chose one, it would be the 1989 dvd. As that includes the re-opening of Philip Island. The best motorcycle track in the world, with my, at that time, favourite rider (Gardner) winning after a great race with Rainey, Sarron and Magee.

That period really was great!
Old 19 Mar 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2156397)   #13
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
WOW, great links Bestfit, Thanks

If I was only allowed to chose one, it would be the 1989 dvd. As that includes the re-opening of Philip Island. The best motorcycle track in the world, with my, at that time, favourite rider (Gardner) winning after a great race with Rainey, Sarron and Magee.

That period really was great!
I was at PI for both the 1989 and 1990 GP's and both were classic races. I was sitting at turn 1 in 1989 when Gardner overtook Rainey and didn't leave him a lot of room. He turned around at 200+ km/h at full lean and gave him a "sorry mate" wave. Brought the whole crowd to it's feet.

As good as the 1989 race was, I actually enjoyed the 1990 race more. It showed just what a gutsy rider Gardner was. (he was also my favourite rider at the time). It was a classic duel between Gardner, Doohan, Schwantz and Rainey and Wayne broke his fairing mounts half way through the race and had to battle with a wildly flapping fairing but still went on to win.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

1990 also had the classic 125 GP I mentioned earlier in this thread where Capirossi took his 1st world championship with help from his Italian compatriots.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2156403)   #14
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
A very short clip of some of the 125GP
Old 19 Mar 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2156422)   #15
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfit
I was at PI for both the 1989 and 1990 GP's and both were classic races.
Yes, we are jealous

I remember the 1990 125cc race. I mean, there was a Dutch man in the race for the championship (unheart of these days).

In that time the racing wasn't live on telly and we had to wait almost half a day before they showed some highlights. 'The hit' has been shown in many highlight shows over the years. Although there was a group of Italians riding in the way, we picked Gresini to be boo-ed for many years. Oh, how much we hated him... .

Those links are great! I think I'll have to take some days off, to watch all of them.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 14:24 (Ref:2156521)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really wish I knew more about all of the history. I've only been following motorcycle racing since 2005. Definitely feel like I've missed a lot. Faster is about the extent of my knowledge plus whatever I read here and various other web blurbs.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 15:16 (Ref:2156555)   #17
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Don't worry JH, we have accepted you as you are! Everybody has his/her flaws .

I find youtube to be a great encyclopedia. Usually when you find one good link in youtube, there are many great other links on the side.

Although those year reviews dvds usually aren't very good (they are just to short), I still 'collect' them because after a few years it is just such a joy to watch them again.

To help educate you (), I found some great last-lap battles you will enjoy (most of them with great commentary):

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=o62hqVhzZlE
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_bI5ePLjW94
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=sk47qg-WZwU
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=HRuZa705wdI
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_t6DKIvmdBs
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=MwUXIgUSke4
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=gOEn92bhcMg
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=_jF7uM73IN4
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWCDFRH9gs
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=rF2hz73u5Zk
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=0juEmvesKIw
Old 20 Mar 2008, 01:29 (Ref:2156863)   #18
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
I really wish I knew more about all of the history. I've only been following motorcycle racing since 2005. Definitely feel like I've missed a lot. Faster is about the extent of my knowledge plus whatever I read here and various other web blurbs.
If it's history you want, then history you shall have.
I attended my first bike meeting in 1967 and was immediately hooked.
Here are a few of the greats that have shaped the sport during "my time". Things have changed slightly during that time.

Hailwood v Agostini Isle of Man Senior TT 1967
Mike Hailwood Silverstone
Phil Read on the MV Augusta, what a great sounding bike
Jack Findlay Spa 1970, Australia's first world champion
Barry Sheene
Kenny Roberts v Barry Sheene v Will Hartog Silverstone 1979
Kevin Schwantz v Wayne Rainey (great battle)

God I feel old!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 05:51 (Ref:2156919)   #19
raisinberry777
Rookie

raisinberry777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have a very extensive video collection, but anyway....

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?us...inberry777&p=r
Old 20 Mar 2008, 06:45 (Ref:2156934)   #20
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
Thanks for sharing them raisinberry777, and welcome to 10 tenths.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2157340)   #21
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the all the nostalgia. Brilliant stuff.

And yes, welcome raisinberry777.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 00:31 (Ref:2157723)   #22
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have got to find my '89 Season review.

Fantastic stuff. My favorite moment is when they are at spa and it starts to rain, and all the yanks stand up and raise their hands and go, dude, not cool.

Christian Sarron goes, YOU A AMERICANS ARE WEAK! And blasts ahead, through Eau Rouge and then dumps it after the long straight.

In all seriousness there is some awsome racing on that. But bloody Kevin kept dumping it on the last lap and stupid **** like that. /sigh
Old 30 Mar 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2165164)   #23
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nakano vs Jaques there is absolutely no way to top it... team-mates, season-long battle, last round, whoever wins wins the title...last corner is past and there it comes the very last drag-race of the season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S2Tn0A5iG8

if you watched the whole race you could see Jaques having a go at Nakano in the last corner a number of times but Nakano could always recover better for the main straight.. Jaques didnt try the last corner move any more... he was working on a better one instead, quite possibly the move of the year
Old 30 Mar 2008, 15:09 (Ref:2165195)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont really think that was a huge battle coz they got on really well!!

Not as good as Pons/Garriga, Foggy,Russell, Kocinski,Foggy, Mick/Criville

At least they hated each other!!

There must be some more, Lorenzo/Bautista?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2165213)   #25
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yea, great post, hate is well important in sports