Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Oct 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3858375)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cheese V8 Touring Cars to become Super3?

Seems that the V8 Touring Cars (also known as the Kumho Series) is set to become the official third tier of the Supercars becoming Super3. Their is plans from next year, while keeping the original plans to go from 17in to 18in wheel rims, the Kumho tyres will be replaced by the traditional Dunlop boots.

Shall be interesting to see with this since it's a great way to learn how the Supercars work.

https://autoaction.com.au/2018/10/22...-become-super3
Old 22 Oct 2018, 09:58 (Ref:3858377)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a fair chance the operating costs will go up somewhat.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 11:16 (Ref:3858392)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And the ‘heritage’ cars will look for a new place to play..

Super4?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Oct 2018, 11:22 (Ref:3858394)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps pre-Project Blueprint cars will be added to Historic Group A?
Old 22 Oct 2018, 12:43 (Ref:3858412)   #5
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
the Kumho tyres will be replaced by the traditional Dunlop boots.
That's a shame. The tyre sized used by Supercars (previously 280/680 R17 [width/diameter in mm], now 280/680 R18?) is very common, NZV8s use a Hankook in the same size IIRC. it is a pity there isn't more diverse tyre brand usage possible.

With respect to the 18" wheels, it is a pity they all the same, and we haven't had the wonderful diversity of designs like with 17" Group 3A touring car wheels -- the transitional Team Dynamics control 17" wheel from 2010-2012 (IIRC) will remain a collectable novelty I guess, but not nearly as stylish as sleek and much loved Italian & Japanese & German & indeed Australian designs used in the free era of wheels!

To think that once upon a time some 5.0L, and Group A before them, touring car competitors even used glorious two-piece mesh wheels! Talk about style!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 22 Oct 2018 at 12:54.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 12:48 (Ref:3858413)   #6
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I just realised I made a spelling mistake in the title. Feeling a bit silly now.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3858414)   #7
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
That's a shame. The tyre sized used by Supercars (previously 280/680 R17 [width/diameter in mm], now 280/680 R18?) is very common, NZV8s use a Hankook in the same size IIRC. it is a pity there isn't more diverse tyre brand usage possible.

With respect to the 18" wheels, it is a pity they all the same, and we haven't had the wonderful diversity of designs like with 17" Group 3A touring car wheels -- the transitional Team Dynamics control 17" wheel from 2010-2012 (IIRC) will remain a collectable novelty I guess, but not nearly as stylish as sleek and much loved Italian & Japanese & indeed Australian designs!
NZV8s use the same Dunlop 18s as we do here.

Economies of scale, and so on.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3858415)   #8
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
NZV8s use the same Dunlop 18s as we do here.

Economies of scale, and so on.
Such a shame. While Dunlops are great, obviously Hankook and others are a quality tyre too.

Continental is under-represented in Australia motorsport, it would be great to see them get involved.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 22 Oct 2018 at 13:02.
Old 22 Oct 2018, 12:59 (Ref:3858417)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I just realised I made a spelling mistake in the title. Feeling a bit silly now.
I didnt notice it until you mentioned it!
Old 22 Oct 2018, 13:43 (Ref:3858422)   #10
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
Such a shame. While Dunlops are great, obviously Hankook and others are a quality tyre too.

Continental is under-represented in Australia motorsport, it would be great to see them get involved.

Plus Kumho is a pretty decent tyre. I use them on my road cars. (Especially on the work/daily driver, knocked out the under-steer alongside getting rid of the narrow 15in steel rim for a wider and taller 16in alloy rim)
Old 22 Oct 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3858423)   #11
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
I didnt notice it until you mentioned it!
And just realised I made a grammar mistake in the first post. Note to self: Pay more attention while writing up a post.

Quote:
Seems that the V8 Touring Cars (also known as the Kumho Series) is set to become the official third tier of the Supercars becoming Super3. Their is plans from next year, while keeping the original plans to go from 17in to 18in wheel rims, the Kumho tyres will be replaced by the traditional Dunlop boots.

Shall be interesting to see with this since it's a great way to learn how the Supercars work.

https://autoaction.com.au/2018/10/22...-become-super3
Old 22 Oct 2018, 22:20 (Ref:3858517)   #12
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

For interest, Wesfarmers announced in August the sale of its Kmart Tyre and Auto Service business to Continental Tyres of Germany for AUD 350 million.
This covers all 258 Australian stores.

It notes "Continental will use the KTAS name and logo for a transitional period following the sale"

So it seems Continental are gearing up for a much bigger presence in Australia.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 11:46 (Ref:3858595)   #13
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
It notes "Continental will use the KTAS name and logo for a transitional period following the sale"

So it seems Continental are gearing up for a much bigger presence in Australia.
Fantastic!
Old 25 Oct 2018, 14:37 (Ref:3859114)   #14
Razor
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Quote:

With respect to the 18" wheels, it is a pity they all the same, and we haven't had the wonderful diversity of designs like with 17" Group 3A touring car wheels -- the transitional Team Dynamics control 17" wheel from 2010-2012 (IIRC) will remain a collectable novelty I guess, but not nearly as stylish as sleek and much loved Italian & Japanese & German & indeed Australian designs used in the free era of wheels!

To think that once upon a time some 5.0L, and Group A before them, touring car competitors even used glorious two-piece mesh wheels! Talk about style!

I'm hearing you, with all respect to Dean and his company Racer Industries and Team Dynamic who supply the control rim, there's something cool to see some diversity in rims. Loved the 8 spoke A-Tek that Triple Eight ran on their Ford Falcons and the 16 spoke OZ Rim HRT/Toll HSVDT ran on the VE Commodore.