Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22 Dec 2011, 13:54 (Ref:3003201)   #1351
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's not trying to please everyone though. The BBC used to cover a broad range of sport. It's a bit of a joke now.
Old 22 Dec 2011, 14:35 (Ref:3003217)   #1352
mickey29
Racer

England
Wellingborough
mickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmickey29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sport is big business and why should a tax payer line the pockets of overpaid over hyped sportstars.

The managers and organisers are perceived as corrupt. Footballers are perceived as spoilt brats, cricketers are tarred by the Pakastani Cheating Scandal, Rugby players are perceived as drunken louts and F1 is seen to be a rich man's toy.

The BBC will be showing the greatest sporting event next year in the form of the Olympics, however it has sensible level of coverage of other sports although it is fixated on that game where 22 people kick a bladder from one end of a field to another.

Ultimately there will be no free to air sport unless there is a reset of the financial incentives for the "professional" bodies, managers and sportstars.

If the rights holders stop making obscene amounts of money and share the wealth public broadcast networks can afford the rights.

Otherwise commercial stations will be the only ones who can afford it.

The people to blame for this are the fans for not standing up to be counted.

I maybe getting Sky because I want to watch Indycar and F1, but since I can watch F1 for free (albeit in a reduced way) I may vote with my wallet.

If everyone votes with their wallets then the sport coverage will change.

Stop going to events, stop buying the shirts, the model cars, the memorabilia, magazines and the bookmakers.

Stop participating in anyway and you will cut of the money and sports coverage will get back to basics.

Is anybody prepared to do this? No.

So we have no right to moan then. The monster was created by ourselves and now we are paying the price.
Old 30 Dec 2011, 18:03 (Ref:3005609)   #1353
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Just in case you thought motor racing was the only sport affected by the BBC cutbacks, have a look at this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...C-TV-deal.html

Things must be dire at the Beeb for the national sport to suffer as well.
Old 31 Dec 2011, 10:04 (Ref:3005794)   #1354
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post

....however it has sensible level of coverage of other sports although it is fixated on that game where 22 people kick a bladder from one end of a field to another.
It's the national game, but it seems that even it is losing out to other sports. One can only wonder what level of coverage F1 will get on the BBC in 2013. I feel that it may depend quite a lot on who wins the drivers championship in 2012.
Old 31 Dec 2011, 10:37 (Ref:3005802)   #1355
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey29 View Post
Sport is big business and why should a tax payer line the pockets of overpaid over hyped sportstars.

The managers and organisers are perceived as corrupt. Footballers are perceived as spoilt brats, cricketers are tarred by the Pakastani Cheating Scandal, Rugby players are perceived as drunken louts and F1 is seen to be a rich man's toy.

The BBC will be showing the greatest sporting event next year in the form of the Olympics, however it has sensible level of coverage of other sports although it is fixated on that game where 22 people kick a bladder from one end of a field to another.

Ultimately there will be no free to air sport unless there is a reset of the financial incentives for the "professional" bodies, managers and sportstars.

If the rights holders stop making obscene amounts of money and share the wealth public broadcast networks can afford the rights.

Otherwise commercial stations will be the only ones who can afford it.

The people to blame for this are the fans for not standing up to be counted.

I maybe getting Sky because I want to watch Indycar and F1, but since I can watch F1 for free (albeit in a reduced way) I may vote with my wallet.

If everyone votes with their wallets then the sport coverage will change.

Stop going to events, stop buying the shirts, the model cars, the memorabilia, magazines and the bookmakers.

Stop participating in anyway and you will cut of the money and sports coverage will get back to basics.

Is anybody prepared to do this? No.

So we have no right to moan then. The monster was created by ourselves and now we are paying the price.
I don't entirely disagree with the points made.I would add that the sponsors have been sold a publicity package based on the numbers that view.If these numbers show a marked drop there may be ramifications when contract renewal time comes round.Similarly if fewer people are watching after the move to Sky,the market for selling related merchandise shrinks.The BBC is having to face a bit of financial restraint and there are lots of fiefdoms fighting for their continued existence.Curiously for a publicly funded body,they seem to arrive at their conclusions without too much consultation with the public that none too willingly provides the funds.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 02:17 (Ref:3006013)   #1356
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Eccelstone puts too high a price for his coverage perhaps by ten fold.There's your problem. A fair price should've been given to the BBC in light of the BBC's unsurpassed reach in audience numbers and prestige. I don't blame the BBC for this at all.

I don't like the predator Sky more generally in that they kidnap all the sports and imprison them behind - not a pay-wall - but a WHOPPER of a pay-wall.

That sort of environment is unhealthy and now it has disfigured F1.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3006048)   #1357
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If Sky think that their subscribers are all of a sudden going to skyrocket because they now have F1, they are sorely mistaken.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 14:05 (Ref:3006111)   #1358
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
If Sky think that their subscribers are all of a sudden going to skyrocket because they now have F1, they are sorely mistaken.
That would largely depend on what sort of coverage, if any, the free-to-air channel continues to provide. Emphasis being on the word, 'continues', since the BBC may have already entered into a contract or may be financially forced into a situation that limits even further it's coverage of F1 after 2012.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 14:46 (Ref:3006123)   #1359
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm not sure that that's the priority for Sky, as long as people aren't watching the BBC, even if they aren't watching Sky instead, Sky will be happy.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3006217)   #1360
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I'm not sure that that's the priority for Sky, as long as people aren't watching the BBC, even if they aren't watching Sky instead, Sky will be happy.
From Sky's own Quarterly figures for the 3 Months up to 30th September Last year, of their 10.2 million customers 3.9 million of those have the HD Package meaning that they will be able to get the F1 channel, there isn't a figure in the report but add to that the number of Sky Sports subscribers who don't have HD. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that the F1 channel would have a reach of half it's subscriber base, and that was before they really started advertising their coverage.

I think Sky will see a modest increase in New subscribers, but how much of that could be directly apportioned to the F1 channel would be difficult to judge.
I do think however that Sky may see a more significant increase in existing customers upgrading to HD but that could actually back fire as there is pretty much constant promotions for customers with older boxes to upgrade free or reduced costs, as such with little immediate profit for Sky.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 20:54 (Ref:3006241)   #1361
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post

of their 10.2 million customers 3.9 million of those have the HD Package meaning that they will be able to get the F1 channel,
I have the full Sky package so have to admit that i haven't taken much notice, but do subscribers get F1 with the HD package, or with the HD sports package??
Old 1 Jan 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3006242)   #1362
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its Either HD or Sky Sports

Sky Sports only = F1 Channel
HD Mix only = F1 Channel
Old 1 Jan 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3006245)   #1363
Mr V
Veteran

England
There has just been an advert showing whats on in 2012 and the logo said Sky Sports F1 HD. So, of your 3.9 million subscribers who have the HD package, what percentage of them have sports i wonder?
Old 1 Jan 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3006247)   #1364
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely spot on.

This is not and never has been about F1, or even sport. It's about the Murdoch's plan to destroy the BBC. That is their goal, that is the plan. Taking F1 off the BBC is just a gift to them. The BBC Director General, Mark Thompson, by not even considering negotiating with another free to air broadcaster sold F1 fans down the river to save his own skin. Shameful public sector management for which he should be sacked.

As we showed with the petition that thwarted the Murdoch's bid for 100% ownership, they can be defeated.
Old 1 Jan 2012, 23:12 (Ref:3006276)   #1365
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
There has just been an advert showing whats on in 2012 and the logo said Sky Sports F1 HD. So, of your 3.9 million subscribers who have the HD package, what percentage of them have sports i wonder?
For all the channel is Sky Sports F1 HD, like every other Sky Channel there is also an SD version as well. It would be this that Sky Sports (non HD) customers would get, and also multiroom customers who have HD in the main room, but would be able to get the SD channel on any SD multiroom boxes

I have no idea how many HD customers also have Sky Sports, likewise I don't know how many non HD customers have Sky Sports, but like I said earlier, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to suggest a possible viewership reach of half the customer base. There will be updated figures released at the end of January according to the dates of the document I linked to earlier. The numbers could look different then, but not significantly I wouldn't have thought.
Old 2 Jan 2012, 00:35 (Ref:3006295)   #1366
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
For all the controversy this has aroused I doubt too many people will notice the change and won't think twice for highlights. From those who do notice even the bulk of hardcore fans will sadly come to terms with highlights when faced with the cold hard reality of everyday bills and a frowning motorphobic missus.

A bit like F1 Digital a few years ago this whole adventure may very well be a grave miscalculation from Sky's POV.
Old 2 Jan 2012, 03:42 (Ref:3006318)   #1367
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
For all the controversy this has aroused I doubt too many people will notice the change and won't think twice for highlights. From those who do notice even the bulk of hardcore fans will sadly come to terms with highlights when faced with the cold hard reality of everyday bills and a frowning motorphobic missus.

A bit like F1 Digital a few years ago this whole adventure may very well be a grave miscalculation from Sky's POV.
And possibly Bernie's.
Old 2 Jan 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3006347)   #1368
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
For all the channel is Sky Sports F1 HD, like every other Sky Channel there is also an SD version as well. It would be this that Sky Sports (non HD) customers would get, and also multiroom customers who have HD in the main room, but would be able to get the SD channel on any SD multiroom boxes
Of course, forgot about that.

I have to say, when Sky show adverts of what they, personally will be showing sports wise over the next year, F1, The Masters, The Ryder Cup, Champions League (final), not to mention Premier League and Championship it makes it money well spent imo.
Old 2 Jan 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3006361)   #1369
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wife got a slight payrise just before christmas and she said (whilst drunk) that she would look into getting Sky for me in the New Year as she knows how much I love F1. I was pretty chuffed and we discussed that if we could get a good broadband deal along with the HD package we would do it. With their basic broadband package it would be around £42 p/m which would be do-able but that only has a 2GB download limit apparently and last month on Talk Talk we used 16GB!!

We spoke to Sky and the cheapest deal for the internet we want and Sky HD was £58 p/m!! Thats just a ridiculous amount of money and just not affordable by most during tough times IMO. Sky weren't willing to budge one inch to tempt us in either. For me it really would mean getting Sky just for the F1 and I just can't justify that amount of money as it doesn't offer valuable for money whatsoever. A brief moment of hope dispelled by an extremely high price.
Old 2 Jan 2012, 14:00 (Ref:3006404)   #1370
Mr V
Veteran

England
Can't you get the HD package, but not bother with Sky's internet then?
Old 2 Jan 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3006408)   #1371
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Can't you get the HD package, but not bother with Sky's internet then?
Not really as I would still be paying close to £50 p/m if I kept my present supplier and thats still too expensive. The internet deal I have at present is a good deal and Sky can't compete. My wife said she would consider it if we could get a combined package to save a little money, but like their TV packages, the broadband deals are amongst the most expensive you can get. I still have my fathers Sky Go login for next season so at least I can watch the races, but Sky lose out ultimately as they don't get an extra subscription. Having Sky myself would be nice but unless they offer realistic deals, I just won't be a customer anytime soon.
Old 2 Jan 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3006489)   #1372
Mr V
Veteran

England
Just worked out that my Sky, o2 broadband and BT line rental costs £92 p/m
Old 2 Jan 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3006535)   #1373
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Just worked out that my Sky, o2 broadband and BT line rental costs £92 p/m
You can obviously afford it if you have only just noticed. You can probably understand now why such a package is unreachable for people who have to watch the pennies and account for everything they spend down to the pound.

I could think of much better things to spend £92 p/m on than a TV package I would only use for an hour or two a day on average. Hardy value for money unless I became a couch potato.
Old 2 Jan 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3006561)   #1374
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Hardy value for money unless I became a couch potato.
I can assure you that i'm no couch potato!
Old 3 Jan 2012, 23:18 (Ref:3006948)   #1375
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Just saw this Tweet from Sky Sports F1: "If you have the Sports Pack and/OR the HD Pack you will receive the F1 channel at no extra cost. Still not known if on Virgin or BT."

Suits me, I thought it was going to be £10 pm extra.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky