Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jun 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2904877)   #26
Crazy_Pigal
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Crazy_Pigal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well this is a breath of fresh air, a compromise that is better than either of the alternatives, roll on 2014.
Like many of you I'd like to see the variety of I4 v's V6 (maybe even V's V8) but it's the cost that's stopped that.
My guess at what the final regs will look like:
  1. Fixed bore size
  2. Fixed Vee angle
  3. Fixed Bore Spacing
  4. Fixed C of G
  5. Single turbo (or maybe two) but fixed either way
  6. Direct injection (upto 500 bar)
  7. 4 valves per cylinder
  8. Fuel flow limit (to be reduced each year as development increases power)
  9. limit on exotic materials
  10. Turbo compounding (electric) to follow in future
  11. 120 kW KERS (hopefully usable for much more than 7 seconds perlap)
There'll probably be a limit of 12,000rpm but I can't see the point if there's a fuel flow limit as you won't be able to use the extra revs anyway, the power will just drop as friction increases, you'll get more power at lower speeds & high boost.
I'd expect the engines to run very lean, even stratified charge, so no spitting flames like in the 80's, shame that!
The good news is we'll no longer have an engine freeze, I hated the idea of the pinnacle of motorsport having engines that couldn't be refined or developed, bring it on.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2904896)   #27
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Hopefully it'll bring back other manufacturers, Toyota, Honda, BMW; I'm looking at you.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2904946)   #28
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
My understanding is that modern turbos have all but eliminated turbo lag due to the use of things like variable vane and twin scroll technology. If it hasn't been completely eliminated, then it's up to the clever people at the engine factories to find solutions to that problem.

Whether or not they have one, two or whatever number of turbos, I'm sure that they will seek to make them as efficient as possible anyways. Having the need for fewer turbos would be a step in that direction.

Pleased to see that V6 engine is being looked at (less room for turbos though).
sorry Marbot , I'm trying to be as gentle as possible but your understanding is completley incorrrect, the auto industry as a whole currently has massive problems with excessive turbo lag, I mean like 5 seconds worth and un-drivable, this is with particular reference to turbocharged extreeme downsozed engines for passenger car use, like only 150bhp from a 1.2 Litre I4......this is actually the specific line of business that I currently work in (electronic boost assist) so I feel well positioned to make such a statement........VGT and twin scroll only partially fill the gap, they are nothing special despite all the hype.

I was lucky enough to get a draft copy of the finalised 2013 engine regs (I4) and believe me when I say the FIA had nailed everything down, even the bell-housing bolt pattern was layed out in X, Y and Z!.......I completley agree with Crazy_Pigal.......the FIA will nail everything down.......forget about having multiple engine choice configurations, this will just burn development costs in the finding of which route is best.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 21:47 (Ref:2904959)   #29
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
oh say it aint so...
Old 23 Jun 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2904961)   #30
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I think that having an open engine configuration is crazy because of development costs, I do think that this was an oportunity where they could have had a 4 or 6 depending on what the team wanted. There could be a weight penalty for the extra cylinders (as was the case in MotoGP when there were 5,4 and tripples).

This would allow manufacturers like Renault to have more of a link with their road cars while Ferrari can make high revving sixes. I don't think this would lead to a huge cost or performance disparity.

I don't understand how people can complain about the idea of turbo v6s. The older generation talk about much better formula 1 was when they were younger and the teams were running 1.5l turbo 4s and 6s. So is that everyone now saying that really we have the best format for F1 right now? I think the old cars also sounded amazing too. If the FIA could just stop pandering to the top teams and cut back on the above body aero (rather than banning exhaust blown diffusers that I can't see harms overtaking as much) then nobody could complain at all.

Last edited by browney; 23 Jun 2011 at 21:55.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 22:40 (Ref:2904978)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Browney, the racing that F1 has delivered this year has been as good if not better (I'd go with better) than anything that we have ever had in the past. You are looking at Monza (1 GP) in the late 60s and early 70s for a comparison.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 04:56 (Ref:2905045)   #32
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Wonder if Honda will be allowed to use the same motor they did in '88? :P
Old 24 Jun 2011, 10:08 (Ref:2905163)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
So being so close to the new IndyCar specs will the engines on IndyCar side match displacement? If so what then?
The new IndyCar engine for 2012 will be a 2.2L V6 twin turbo. There's quite a bit of info on it here.

http://www.racer.com/chevrolet-relea...rticle/203869/
Old 24 Jun 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2905194)   #34
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
oh say it aint so...
It's so. And it's probably a good job really, because someone really clever might think that even four cylinders are far too many.

The new engines will probably be just as restricted in their architecture as the current V8s are. Only remains to be seen what exactly it is that the exhaust gases are allowed to power, and how that power can be used.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2905196)   #35
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just the other day I caught myself thinking "F1 should adopt 2.0L twin turbo V6's for their new gen cars."
Old 24 Jun 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2905209)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Just the other day I caught myself thinking "F1 should adopt 2.0L twin turbo V6's for their new gen cars."
With IndyCar using a 2.2L V6 twin turbo and F1 going down a very similar route, that sort of knocks on the head the 1.6L turbo Global Racing Engine proposed by the FIA.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2905210)   #37
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
With IndyCar using a 2.2L V6 twin turbo and F1 going down a very similar route, that sort of knocks on the head the 1.6L turbo Global Racing Engine proposed by the FIA.
The FIA doesn't govern Indy racing.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 11:43 (Ref:2905212)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The FIA doesn't govern Indy racing.
I know that. ACCUS are the FIA member organization, responsible for IndyCar.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2905239)   #39
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't indy using 2.5 liter v6. If so how will bernie or whoever is in charge feel if the Indy cars are just flat out faster? Of course the knuckle heads in charge try to limit power and speed there more than anything. I could get into F1 v6tt. That's solid. Afterall how awesome has LeMans been with the turbo monster V6 lmp cars been?
What will PURE and Pollack do now, scrap all there work or have they been vaporware any how.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2905372)   #40
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst maybe it wouldnt fit in with the cost reduction strategy i would like to see a very simple engine rule structure: - specify a (quite stringent) maximum fuel usage limit and then leave the teams to it.
Being an engineer by trade I dont like to see layout, size, rev limit etc specified as it stifles creativity and innovation. An open configuration would attract more manufacturers i feel and perhaps attract some leading edge technology. It would tick the green box too and could feed into real world product development at a time that efficiency and economy are key drivers.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2905377)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney View Post
While I think that having an open engine configuration is crazy because of development costs, I do think that this was an oportunity where they could have had a 4 or 6 depending on what the team wanted. There could be a weight penalty for the extra cylinders (as was the case in MotoGP when there were 5,4 and tripples).

This would allow manufacturers like Renault to have more of a link with their road cars while Ferrari can make high revving sixes. I don't think this would lead to a huge cost or performance disparity.

I don't understand how people can complain about the idea of turbo v6s. The older generation talk about much better formula 1 was when they were younger and the teams were running 1.5l turbo 4s and 6s. So is that everyone now saying that really we have the best format for F1 right now? I think the old cars also sounded amazing too. If the FIA could just stop pandering to the top teams and cut back on the above body aero (rather than banning exhaust blown diffusers that I can't see harms overtaking as much) then nobody could complain at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Browney, the racing that F1 has delivered this year has been as good if not better (I'd go with better) than anything that we have ever had in the past. You are looking at Monza (1 GP) in the late 60s and early 70s for a comparison.
Sorry, I'm a little lost here?
Old 25 Jun 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2905549)   #42
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry Adam43 I agree it was a bit obscure:

Browney said in post #30 "So is that everyone now saying that really we have the best format for F1 right now?"

I responded that yes I thought the format was as good as anything we have ever had from a racing point of view. The only one I care about!
Old 25 Jun 2011, 01:23 (Ref:2905550)   #43
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The new IndyCar engine for 2012 will be a 2.2L V6 twin turbo. There's quite a bit of info on it here.

http://www.racer.com/chevrolet-relea...rticle/203869/

Be a damn good idea if F1 adopted exactly the same engine regs, for IndyCar and F1!

However Knighty gave us a glimpse

"I was lucky enough to get a draft copy of the finalised 2013 engine regs (I4) and believe me when I say the FIA had nailed everything down, even the bell-housing bolt pattern was layed out in X, Y and Z!.......I completley agree with Crazy_Pigal.......the FIA will nail everything down.......forget about having multiple engine choice configurations, this will just burn development costs in the finding of which route is best."

Closed shop??
Old 25 Jun 2011, 08:19 (Ref:2905616)   #44
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Sorry Adam43 I agree it was a bit obscure:

Browney said in post #30 "So is that everyone now saying that really we have the best format for F1 right now?"

I responded that yes I thought the format was as good as anything we have ever had from a racing point of view. The only one I care about!
Thanks, Adam.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2906438)   #45
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Apparently, some circuits will switch to Indy cars if F1 introduces its 'green' engines.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...-hits-F1-races
Old 26 Jun 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2906440)   #46
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Apparently, some circuits will switch to Indy cars if F1 introduces its 'green' engines.

Those circuits are very brave to be handing out an ultimatum like that, Indycar's following outside of the USA is miniscule compared to F1.

Good luck to them if they went down that route!
Old 26 Jun 2011, 17:25 (Ref:2906442)   #47
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

pointless chest beating imho!
Old 26 Jun 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2906445)   #48
devil_angel
Rookie

devil_angel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I used to dream of seeing F1 cars roar with V12s when I was growing up :/
Old 26 Jun 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2906451)   #49
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_angel View Post
And I used to dream of seeing F1 cars roar with V12s when I was growing up :/
Those were the days.

Maybe F1 should ask Superleague* if it can use their engines instead?

*4.2 litre, V12, 750 BHP.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 17:41 (Ref:2906452)   #50
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Those circuits are very brave to be handing out an ultimatum like that, Indycar's following outside of the USA is miniscule compared to F1.

Good luck to them if they went down that route!
IndyCar's following in the US is miniscule compared to what it was when CART ran the show. As for China hosting an IndyCar race next year, with the new chassis/engine combo, IndyCar commercial boss Terry Angstadt thinks it's a possibility; read the last paragraph.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110621/IRL/110629972