Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Apr 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2170112)   #1
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
richie17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lakeside Race Meeting Tomorrow 6 April!!!!

I have just found this out!!!! link (pdf)

Quote:
Welcome to the opportunity to race in the first Race meeting to be held at Lakeside since the venue was closed in 2002. It may also be the last one on the old circuit depending on a court decision in late April. Due to weather and the legal holdups it has been decided to run events between now and the end of September if we can. We then expect to close the gates again for about 5 months whilst we get the major civil works done, which includes the alterations to the track layout to make it safer.
Old 5 Apr 2008, 13:39 (Ref:2170320)   #2
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We are not inviting spectators to this meeting as we do not have any facilities for them
Old 6 Apr 2008, 17:20 (Ref:2171484)   #3
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Any news on who went, or how the meeting went?

Mick
Old 6 Apr 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2171777)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There seemed to be a fair few spectators turn up, and they didn't mind paying $10 to hang around in some at time crappy weather...

There were only 50 entries, but to see them flogging around there again was awesome!

This year I've been to Bathurst, Phillip Island, Albert Park, Adelaide, Queensland Raceway, Morgan Park and Mount Cotton, but seeing cars on the limit and sideways and lifting wheels around Lakeside was better than all of the other stuff combined!

The track itself is a little dodgey in some places, but it is obvious that there has already been a fair earthworks done and a lot of the trees that have been growing over the past 8 years have been taken down.

There was a lot of noise testing going on, with many competitors fixing their cars on the run... Also present were the local councilors and the mayor keeping an eye on things.

Hopefully the pending court cases work out fine and we can keep it going up there...
Old 7 Apr 2008, 00:09 (Ref:2171800)   #5
ttclubby
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
ttclubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys...

first post thou been lurking for ages.
I actually ran a private track day at lakeside on Saturday.

The track is in not bad condition considering the neglect it has suffered over the years.
The plans are to straighten the Kink out and push some walls back to make it safer, Its also planned to completely resurface the track.

There is heavy noise restraints to run on the circuit...basically you need to be under 92.2 db @ 5000rpm sustained for 5 seconds and under 100db on track.

It was certainly great to see a track that is as much fun as Lakeside back operating again and I cant wait for the improvments to happen.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 03:10 (Ref:2171847)   #6
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttclubby
The plans are to straighten the Kink out
Why
Old 7 Apr 2008, 03:16 (Ref:2171848)   #7
Cal Ballinger
Rookie

Cal Ballinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttclubby
The track is in not bad condition considering the neglect it has suffered over the years.
The plans are to straighten the Kink out and push some walls back to make it safer, Its also planned to completely resurface the track.

There is heavy noise restraints to run on the circuit...basically you need to be under 92.2 db @ 5000rpm sustained for 5 seconds and under 100db on track.
The plan is to widen the entire straight also. Plus a tunnel under Eastern Loop to access the infield.

The 92.2db reading is taken at 8m.

It was great to be out there again. I'd only done sprints before, so racing there was awesome. For anyone who cares, I was in a light metallic blue MX5 #44.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 07:22 (Ref:2171940)   #8
saliv8
Rookie

saliv8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was hard to wipe the smile off my face this morning as i drove down to the entrance to Lakeside Raceway. After many years of political bull****, the picturesque little track hosted a small club day. It was like stepping back 10-15 years, not much had changed. The paint still chipped, cracked and peeling on the bent and twisted armco fencing. The patched up and somewhat bumpy track surface is still what i remember the last time they race here (2001 i think). This place has character. As soon as i browsed the small pit area and the first laps in anger were being run, i headed to the famous kink in the main straight. The bumps are still there, with quite a few cars dancing through there on the limit of adhesion. As the fist bunch of cars raced past, i was engulfed with the smell of racing, and i loved it. It was a very relaxed and well organised day, i could walk the entire pit paddock and outer spectating area without any hassles. Below are a few shots of the meeting today, these are to show what the track has come up like and the mixed bag of cars that made the meeting.

a keen eye might just spot a certain high profile engineer

thanks to all those people behind the scenes fighting for this circuit over the last 5 or so years
cheers
Brett
Old 7 Apr 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2172004)   #9
CooperS79
Racer

Australia
Wollongong
CooperS79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great pics, man you forget how close those walls are!!
Old 7 Apr 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2172766)   #10
ttclubby
Rookie

Australia
Gold Coast
ttclubby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Ballinger
The plan is to widen the entire straight also. Plus a tunnel under Eastern Loop to access the infield.

The 92.2db reading is taken at 8m.

It was great to be out there again. I'd only done sprints before, so racing there was awesome. For anyone who cares, I was in a light metallic blue MX5 #44.
I was told on Saturday that the tunnel is only a maybe at this stage... you are saying its now a goer?
Old 8 Apr 2008, 02:13 (Ref:2172837)   #11
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome, this is what grass roots motorsport is all about !

Not for the money or exposure but for the pure fun of it!
Old 8 Apr 2008, 03:26 (Ref:2172847)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had an awesome day and must state how incredibly stoked i was to be part of the first meeting back at Lakeside. I ran at the last meeting and at the time, no one knew it was to be the last meeting.

I couldn't sleep the night before the meeting, i woke up at 1:30 ready to go! I tossed and turned for a while and then got up and put on some old ATCC videos and watched all the Lakeside rounds. I was almost sick with butterflies when i arrived on Sunday morning. I haven't felt like this before a race meeting for years.

The first practice session was for MX5s and watching them go round was just such a thrill, to see cars on the track again.

JT and so many supporters have worked so hard to make this happen, it was just wonderful to see it all go off so well. I don't think anyone went home without a grin from ear to ear.

I hope the vocal minority get shut down in the courts and council allows JT & his crew to keep giving so many people just what they want.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 03:27 (Ref:2172848)   #13
Flagger
Racer

Flagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be a silly question but why is there plans to take the kink out of the straight, leave the place as it is from my point of view.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 03:36 (Ref:2172849)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The kink won't be taken out, but they will add some bitumen to the inside of the corner to make it straighter, more of a shallow angle. This is purely for safety reasons.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 05:11 (Ref:2172866)   #15
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like David, I found myself wide awake at some ungodley hour, with adrenalin already pumping & butterflies in my stomach - exactly like I did 11 years ago for my first ever race meeting which coincidentally was held at Lakeside.

And after all these years, after warming the tyres on the out lap, I, like all the nuts that raced there last time, was 'on' it from the start, all the humps, rises, camber & off camber parts just as we left it. The right apexes into Carusel, knowing how well you've nailed Hungry corner by how much parts of your anatomy pucker up - although the trusty little blue MX5, as nimble as it is, has alot more body roll than a F Vee!!

Ironically, the worst parts of the circuit were actually the patches that were resurfaced just befor the track closed!

A lucky few of us have somehow manged to race at Bathurst & back to back it with Lakeside - now how do we get the cars to the Nurburgring...

Last edited by Sultan; 8 Apr 2008 at 05:14.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 07:02 (Ref:2172889)   #16
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
Like David, I found myself wide awake at some ungodley hour, with adrenalin already pumping & butterflies in my stomach - exactly like I did 11 years ago for my first ever race meeting which coincidentally was held at Lakeside.

And after all these years, after warming the tyres on the out lap, I, like all the nuts that raced there last time, was 'on' it from the start, all the humps, rises, camber & off camber parts just as we left it. The right apexes into Carusel, knowing how well you've nailed Hungry corner by how much parts of your anatomy pucker up - although the trusty little blue MX5, as nimble as it is, has alot more body roll than a F Vee!!

Ironically, the worst parts of the circuit were actually the patches that were resurfaced just befor the track closed!

A lucky few of us have somehow manged to race at Bathurst & back to back it with Lakeside - now how do we get the cars to the Nurburgring...

Regarding the 'Ring'..$1500 to get in there in a container and back to my knowledge. You can also hire race cars at the track from $500- $ 1000 for the day which includes a full spec race car set up for 'the ring', orientation, 250km,a pint of beer and a sausage sandwich!
the link is http://www.rent-racecar.de/gb/preise2007.html

check it out.

If your serious Im looking at heading over in July.
Be good to head over with an Aussie crew for some laps at the ring

cheers
Old 10 Apr 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2174356)   #17
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn I wish I knew earlier, only last week I booked my ticket to go O/S, unfortunately I'll be in the USofA in July...
Old 10 Apr 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2174406)   #18
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand that there is a "Court Case" or "Hearing" on April 18 that may or may not determine the future of Lakeside.

Anyone know about this?