Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 24 Oct 2000, 09:15 (Ref:44453)   #26
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll redeem myself by posting a timetable, shall I?

Qualifying

09.00 – 09.15 Pickup Trucks
09.25 – 09.40 Karts
09.50 – 10.05 British Truck Racing Association
10.15 – 10.30 Ginettas
10.40 – 10.55 2CV

Race

11.10 Race 1 Pickup Truck Championship – Race 1 10 Laps
11.50 Race 2 MSA 250cc Gearbox Kart Championship – Race 1 10 Laps

12.20 – 12.50 LUNCHBREAK

13.00 Race 3 British Truck Racing Association – Race 1 8 Laps
13.40 Race 4 Pentel Ginetta Championship 10 Laps
14.20 Race 5 Andyspares 2CV Championship 8 Laps
15.00 Race 6 Pickup Truck Championship – Race 2 10 Laps
15.40 Race 7 MSA 250cc Gearbox Kart Championship – Race 2 10 Laps
16.20 Race 8 British Truck Racing Association – Race 2 8 laps

Firework display following on from the completion of racing
Old 25 Oct 2000, 16:53 (Ref:44753)   #27
Danielsun
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Danielsun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds kool. So who's going, from where, staying where, how much and when? I think I've covered all of it...
Old 26 Oct 2000, 16:28 (Ref:45001)   #28
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry folks I'm not going.
Old 26 Oct 2000, 16:35 (Ref:45003)   #29
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Arse You should be ashamed of yourself, Miss H

Dan, sorry bloke, but i'm gonna be staying with a friend in the midlands on the Saturday now, so i'll be unable to give you a lift, i'm afraid. I'm sure we'll see you there anyway though. If you cannot get a lift, i'd imagine that National Express would run a service from Victoria Coach Station to East Midlands Airport, and you could get a cab from there.

Looking forward to it now
Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:32 (Ref:45241)   #30
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for posting the timetable Maisie, you just beat me to it (and full marks to Donington for e-mailing the timetable)
Craig, you mean to say that some poor unsuspecting soul in the Midlands has to put up with you - I wish them luck Just to clarify, what exactly is your definition of the Midlands - just north of Southampton? After all, we are talking here of the man who calls Nottingham 'oop north'
Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:36 (Ref:45243)   #31
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Yes Carrie, surprising as it may seem, someone has kindly agreed to put me up for the evening. Jolly good of them it is too, as I was considering splashing out on a Travel Lodge again...

As for your slur on my knowledge of the geography of Britain, I suggest you take that up with my boss as he is the oaf responsible for me being combined to base nowadays
Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:40 (Ref:45246)   #32
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess the next question is are people aiming on getting there for qualifying or being lazy and just going for the racing?
...and everyone at the Travelodge breathes a sigh of relief...
Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:43 (Ref:45247)   #33
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Pass. I'd not mind doing the whole day as it's gonna be the last meeting of the year for most of us but, hey, it is November, and some of the group constantly moan about the cold on a good day...

And besides, I guess it depends on how drunk I get the night before!
Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:45 (Ref:45248)   #34
Carrie
Veteran

COLD - I'll have you know winter officially started at the BTCC night racing (at Snetterton)
Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:51 (Ref:45250)   #35
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Best bring your hot water bottle then Cazzer!
Old 27 Oct 2000, 20:59 (Ref:45252)   #36
Carrie
Veteran

Be warned, if we start off the day in Redgate Lodge I ain't got a hope of seeing any racing, I'll have too many layers on to stand any chance of being able to walk anywhere!!!
Maybe I'll have so many layers on that I'll look like the Michelin Man - or maybe I should be realistic and put as many layers on as is physically possible and see if I can manage to look like I'm really a size 8
And I was going to tell you that Travelodge have the same offer on that they had for Silverstone - I'll not bother now!
Old 27 Oct 2000, 21:03 (Ref:45253)   #37
Carrie
Veteran

Wonder if the Starkeys entrance will be open, best place to park if it is (only worry would be getting off there if it's muddy)
Old 27 Oct 2000, 21:50 (Ref:45261)   #38
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Have they really ? Oh well, not to worry - it's free where i'm going... Thanks anyway
Old 29 Oct 2000, 22:41 (Ref:45728)   #39
Carrie
Veteran

Just found this race preview on the Donington website
Quote:

The meeting promises something for everyone – superquick Kart races, Pickup Trucks and Citroen 2CV racing together with a fireworks spectacular to round off the action.

The final races in the British Truck Racing Association Championship bring a special blend of high-speed heavy metal onto the Leicestershire circuit with Stuart Oliver the man in the driving seat to take the major title as he powers his mighty MAN 19-414 into the two eight lappers against Kenworths and Volvo Whites.

The scrap for class honours is intense. Sheffield’s John Newell, driving a Ford Cargo, is just four points ahead of Volvo driver Malcolm Davison, while two local drivers will be making a determinedd push for honours – Swadlincote’s Paul McCumisky is well poised to title success if he can hit double-top in his Ford Cargo while Burton driver Matthew Summerfield is a strong outsider in a Seddon Atkinson.

Providing the "little ‘n large" contrast, the superquick 250cc Karts take to the circuit in the double round finale to the national championship, while a mass grid of Citroen 2CVs provides an unlikely, but entertaining race. More one-make car action is comes in the shape of the Pentel Ginetta Championship with Chris Ryan looking to continue his domination amid a line-up that includes Shane Lynch of Boyzone, ITV’s Formula One pundit Tony Jardine and Vicki Butler-Henderson of BBC Television’s Top Gear.

Fast fun packed action is also assured in the final two races of the Pickup Truck Championship – purpose built and powered by two litre engines this new series has provided great sporting fireworks throughout the season, with fast and furious dicing for supremacy.

All sounds fun to me - not too sure about the idea of Shane Lynch and Tony Jardine though
Old 29 Oct 2000, 22:49 (Ref:45737)   #40
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Shane Lynch ? Oh dear - I remember him from Thruxton last year! Less said about that, the better!
Old 29 Oct 2000, 22:58 (Ref:45745)   #41
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Ginettas were at Snett on the 14th/15th. Pretty good racing, and I got chatting to Chris Fellows (no.6). Bloody nice bloke, with plenty of tales to tell.
I must seek him out and thank him for the tour of his outfit.

Trucks are excellent, and they certainly know how to chuck 'em into the bends. With the tyres howling, and the
steam coming off the water-cooled brakes, it looks a bit disconcerting at first. But great fun.

Oh dear.. Tony Jardine? Sounds like a celebrity banger race in glassfibre cars... Ouch!
Old 29 Oct 2000, 23:08 (Ref:45754)   #42
Carrie
Veteran

I can't wait to see the trucks coming down the Craner Curves
Old 29 Oct 2000, 23:35 (Ref:45771)   #43
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never watched truck racing before so a new experience for me.
Old 1 Nov 2000, 23:53 (Ref:46262)   #44
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just a quick word to the wise.

I heard a snippet on the radio this evening that the River Trent is on flood alert between Burton on Trent and Castle Donington. And there's more rain forecast. While there is no way this is going to impinge on a day's racing, it might be as well to make sure that all routes to the circuit are clear, and adjust journey times accordingly.

Have a great day. I'll be thinking of you while I'm seeing off the London-Brighton veterans.
Old 2 Nov 2000, 01:01 (Ref:46278)   #45
Sparky
Veteran

It's OK, Tim.

As long as my lil' ol' '2in ground clearance' Minivan doesn't encounter any more than 2 inches of water, I'll be alright.

Any more than that however...

...and I'll be thankful for those new door seals.

Seriously, thanks for the update.
Old 2 Nov 2000, 21:37 (Ref:46437)   #46
Lorna
Veteran

I'll hire a 4x4!
Old 6 Nov 2000, 18:52 (Ref:47018)   #47
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Thankfully it wasn't needed, Lorny, but i'm only just drying out after the rain!!

What can I say ? What a great day! To those who didn't make it to the circuit, shame on you!! Prepare for those who did to keep telling you how much fun it was to see these guys gunning a tractor unit sideways through Redgate and intot he Craners...! And a big hello to the nutter who was parping his airhorns at the fans - during the race...!!
Old 7 Nov 2000, 02:31 (Ref:47102)   #48
Lorna
Veteran

Awesome racing. Truly entertaining. I also worship gravel traps. The way those trucks were using them to get round Redgate was total and utter madness. Yes, lots of rain but the new jacket stood the test of time. It's time to hang up the big bird jacket and don the new black one with lots and lots and lots of pockets, and yes, Craig, the cone head style hood as well.

Great day but can someone remind me what the hell I am doing going to a race circuit in November in Britain? And foreigners say "Mad dogs and English men go out in the midday sun?" Hehe, they forgot about the other extremity.
Old 7 Nov 2000, 12:06 (Ref:47147)   #49
Sparky
Veteran

It was indeed a great weekend. Never mind the weather (I can say that now - I'm dry again!), Never mind that poor Lorny's Surprise Sparklers didn't (sparkle) - ever tried lighting a trembling sparkler on a hill top inside a brolly with wet hands and soggy matches in a force 7 gale? What a larf!!

And gravel traps - don't you just love 'em?!

That driver that Craig was referring to had a little... excursion into the loose stuff later in the day. Not content with oversteering and double-declutching like a mad man, he was on the airhorn too!

"Pa-tisshhh!.. pa-tisshhh!.. vroom... grind... pa-tisshhh!.. grind... *steer*... PARP! PARP! pa-tisshhh!.. grind... vroom" and he was away! Hurrah!!

Unforgettable!

Oh, and Mr Organiser, no rain next year please.
Old 8 Nov 2000, 00:21 (Ref:47277)   #50
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Fantastic day!! I remember watching the trucks on the telly when I was younger (on Grandstand), but they're so much more exciting in 'the flesh'.

What amazed me was that some of the drivers were parping whilst in full opposite-lock, and waving to their supporters too

10/10 for entertainment.
14/10 for the company on the day.
-10,000/10 for the weather..

..but my fleece is now dry, and the hypothermia isn't as bad as the doctors said it would be