Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2004, 07:53 (Ref:1025487)   #1
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David Coulthard

There is a common sentiment in the formula one fan base that DC is not worthy of his top drive, and - some go as far as saying he never has been. Ignoring this line of thinking my question is simple:

IF DC is able to make a very strong finish to the season- possibly two wins, and a few podiums; is it possible that he will be one of the "must have guys" for 05?

Leave the DC bashing at the door, only contructive debate please.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 08:19 (Ref:1025495)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must start off by stating that DC is a good driver, definitely worthy of a drive in F1, and also deserve to have a stint and a chance to fight for WDC in a top team.

Unfortunately, there are currently many guys who can, if they haven't already, do a job as good as DC if not better.

DC's strength seems to lie in developing, but the struggles of Mclaren showed perhaps his influence is diminished.

And he's been in a top team for a very long time, and had enough opportunities (which is rare in F1) to prove himself as a serious challenger. Unfortunately, again, it didn't work out...though to be fair, a few times his chances are being compromised.

Unless DC performs very well in the final half of the season, and comprehensively trash his teammate (big IFs), it's hard for anybody to justify him a top line seat next season. However, i reckon it'd be a waste if he ends up in a small privateer team. I believe DC would be very useful [with good (if not blistering) speed, good race craft and experience] to manufacturer backed but struggling teams such as Jaguar (fill the void left by Webber) or Toyota (replace Panis).

It would give him a good chance to show his worth to critics, even if he manage to drag teams like Toyota/Jaguar to the top 4 teams would be a good boost to his achievement.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1025540)   #3
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While i don't think DC will get a top drive for next year i think that he'd make a good replacement for Webber at Jaguar.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1025553)   #4
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: David Coulthard

Quote:
Originally posted by SetikX
IF DC is able to make a very strong finish to the season- possibly two wins, and a few podiums; is it possible that he will be one of the "must have guys" for 05?
Not DC bashing, but that statement could apply to any driver on the grid. In fact, if that were to be the scenario, it would say more about the new Mac than any new found ability on the part of Coulthard. DC has shown his hand in F1, he's a known quantity, he's had front of the grid cars for a long time in his F1 career, but has never quite put it together consistantly. A few wins in a new car aren't going to change that very much and certainly not to the extent that any team manager is going to look at Coulthard as a 'must have'. Thats not to say he couldn't do a good job for somebody lower down.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1025564)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC is rated higher by people in F1 than by most of the fans who bash him on here, I believe.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1025573)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely. David is an excellent driver. The simple fact that he kept his seat in a top team like Mclaren for so many years and this should be enough. But, obviously, the armchair racers always know better.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1025574)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few good races at the end of a year doesn't make up for a decade of mediacrity.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 10:54 (Ref:1025575)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then again, other than Mika, noone was really shining above mediocrity, am I right?
Old 4 Jul 2004, 11:01 (Ref:1025584)   #9
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC has done alright, he had a good start with williams and could have won the title had he stayed with them through 96/97, instead went to Mclaren when they weren't that good, did good in 97 - 2 wins and some more podiums in a car that wasn't the best. Then came 98 onwards and he was in a situation where Mclaren favoured Mika more than him, thus he had to compete externally against everyone else as well as internally.

However he did carry the team in 2001 when Mika seemed to lose interest and wasn't 2nd to a certain german, the last couple of year have been harder as Ferrari have taken control.

I think it would be good for DC to go to Williams as he might thrive in that situation rather than at Mclaren, and a pairing with Mark Webber would be a really good team, certainly better than moan-moan Ralf Schumacher. He might be revitalised and have a run at the championship.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 13:40 (Ref:1025743)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Solid drive from DC today.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1025750)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've never been a big fan of DC's and always maintain that he has been pretty poor in terms of success considering his cars. But I'd like to see him get a reasonable seat next year.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1025796)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The fact taht DC is higher upt he grid and on a slightly better pace this weekend is clearly down to the car. He did bet Kimi, whcih was seemingly as much down to his not getting the job done properly. If that continues to have, it'll reflect well on DC, but I'm not convinced he got 100% out of the car today.

Considering his experience he would be a good team leader for Jaguar, of that I'm in no doubt. Even before Indy, I saw him as a better Toyota choice than Ralf.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 14:08 (Ref:1025798)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

I think DC did get 100% out of the car today - they were mostly on the Renault/BAR pace.

If it hadn't been for the poor start, 3rd or 4th was on the cards.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1025937)   #14
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that DC's day has been and gone. There are so many great young drivers knocking around without an F1 drive that I would much prefer a new face to DC's. Does anyone seriously think that even if he was 2nd Ferrari that he would be competing with Schumaker this season ?
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:14 (Ref:1025953)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC's worth of it yet. But I wouldn't say he's better than some examples that are not even on the grid this year.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1025960)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC is certainly rated highly by some if he has managed to keep a seat at an organisation like McLaren for just under a decade (1996-2004). He's always been a solid driver, as some have said.

He'll be a worthy addition to a team like Jaguar or Toyota, particularly in terms of helping develop the car.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1026084)   #17
Tamás
Rookie

Tamás should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC seems to be a superb tester but I think he isn't too motivated to fight for some points at a weaker team. He should drive for Toyota or stay at McLaren as test-driver.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1026089)   #18
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a test-driver at McLaren wouldn't interest him at all, I think. His best bet is Toyota or Jaguar, I think he's too good for retirement, and he still has the desire, unlike some others...
Old 4 Jul 2004, 21:54 (Ref:1026161)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Hmm..He was 35.2 seconds down on TGF after 70 laps, an average of .502 seconds a lap in a car which is nothing like as good as Mikey's.
He was third on the grid in a car which is still not as good as the Renault, the Ferrari and the BAR, (and maybe even the Williams) beating all but the lead Ferrari and Renault.
His start wasn't great being beaten by the superfast starting Renault behind him and the 4th fastest qualifier to his left.
He did however out qualify his highly lauded team mate and came home in front of him, meanwhile closing on the battling Renault, BAR and Ferrari in the minor placings.

Yet he is supposed to be washed up, below potential (or of no potential) and past it or a has been, a disppointment to the F1 world.
The biggest hindrance to DC's career is probably the negative sniping comments of those who refuse to give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by Teretonga; 4 Jul 2004 at 21:55.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1026194)   #20
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remove this weekend from your thinking and all the comments are totally fair. One quite good weekend - woohoo - it doesn't make up for his consistent underperforming for the best part of 10 years.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1026197)   #21
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As DC said today he is "out there for wins not just to keep up"

IMO if he does not get a race seat with a front-running team next year,i can't see him staying in F1.

Also why would he test and develop a car (as a test driver)just for someone else to take the race wins??

But only he knows if his desire to race is enough motivation to go make him go to a mid-field team if that is the only seat available.

I also think he would be a worthy addition (in a race seat)for ANY team.

Last edited by Fantasy GP610; 4 Jul 2004 at 22:43.
Old 4 Jul 2004, 22:55 (Ref:1026204)   #22
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: David Coulthard

Quote:
Originally posted by SetikX
Leave the DC bashing at the door, only contructive debate please.
Doesn't leave much to say then does it?
Old 4 Jul 2004, 23:27 (Ref:1026219)   #23
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Re: David Coulthard

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf
Doesn't leave much to say then does it?
LOL

Funny and with a pinch of truth
Old 5 Jul 2004, 00:15 (Ref:1026244)   #24
SCOTSBHOY
Rookie

SCOTSBHOY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF HE HAD A DECENT CAR, THEN WE COULD QUESTION HIS DRIVING SKILLS "FULL STOP"
Old 5 Jul 2004, 03:23 (Ref:1026315)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
No need to shout

DC has had a decent car for a fair percentage of his F1 career though!