Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2004, 14:44 (Ref:1034259)   #76
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thankfully i'm bored whilst at work otherwise i'd sue the majority of you blokes for wasting five minutes of my life reading this ****...

How does anyone figure Mark Webber has a huge ego and sets out to crush his team-mates ?? Give me a break. I've only met the guy once (very briefly admittedly) but he came across as very genuine, and far from big headed. It seems to me like all the keyboard warriors don't like the thought of an Aussie upstart going to a decent team and perhaps showing up their favourite F1 star...

Give him a drive in a car with some reasonable pace, make it capable of finishing races, then let's see what he's got. Right now he's showing plenty of promise, but as he has shown with his efforts at Jaguar you can't polish a turd. Bring on a decent drive for 2005....

Cheers,
Paul...

Last edited by FatBoy; 12 Jul 2004 at 14:45.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1034274)   #77
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The best gauge of Mark Webber's supposed ego and lack of team play is what the staff at Jaguar Racing think of him.

I did a tour of the Jaguar Racing facility a couple of months ago. They all absolutely love him. He's about as far from aloof as you can get, he plays five-aside football with the lads in the factory every week he can, he gets involved in the design and build process, takes an interest in everyone, and in their eyes can do no wrong. I think they'll even forgive him if(when) he moves.

If he carries that kind of approach to one of the top teams, then you can be sure that everyone involved in that team will go the extra mile to help him win a WDC.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1034827)   #78
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a very "safe" driver, I can only really think of one time that he plain wrecked the car and that was in Brazil in the rain,but hey list those that did crash and it appears that anyone that could drive well enough to be pushing the limit ,over stepped it.Tubs, front wings and suspension components all add up when you are replacing them often.It also takes away from the finite number of hours that the team has to work through the schedule and make the most informed choice for tyres and fuel managment.

He has got there on virtually no money. A few backers have helped him along the way ,but he was equally shrewd enough not to jump at any chance and sign up at Arrows when a test was offered in return for a signature on a managment contract.How chuffed would he be to be back in Australia racing V8's on a TWR contract.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 13 Jul 2004, 13:41 (Ref:1035379)   #79
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by FatBoy
[B]

How does anyone figure Mark Webber has a huge ego and sets out to crush his team-mates ?? Give me a break. I've only met the guy once (very briefly admittedly) but he came across as very genuine, and far from big headed.]
Totally agree with you - he seems to be one of the most down to earth, self effacing people I have seen in F1 - there is no ego, no look at me how wonderful am I, he seems to have his feet firmly on the ground.
Yes I think he has built Jaguar around himself because he is so genuine, loyal and a great team player who makes everyone in the team no matter what they do seem important and recognises their contribution.
You only have to look at Silverstone and the remeberance Minardi did for their Sporting Director John Walton - wh else was there - Mark Webber - he took the time to be with his previous team and to remember someone who was obviously important and I thought this was very nice and considerate of him to show his support.
He crushes his team mates because he works harder, drives faster and is a top bloke - simple.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 21:24 (Ref:1035858)   #80
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jones...

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
agreed , and I refuse to comment about Alan Jones because I dont like having my posts editted by Wrex

I think webber is well ahead of recieving support from former drivers by now though
That is funny marcus because I was going to collectively ask you Aussies how you guys/gals viewed Alan Jones?

Tye
Old 13 Jul 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1035912)   #81
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
anyone that can survive not 1 but 2 huge shunts on the mulsanne straight, get out unscathed and still have what it takes, gets the vote in my books....seriously though, i'd take webber because he does have the speed, does have the capability to build a team around him which many drivers for whatever reason do NOT, and given the right equipment is more than capable of wringing the daylights out of said equipment to garner podiums and race wins....i'm a fan of his...that's for sure.......
Old 14 Jul 2004, 01:18 (Ref:1035985)   #82
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Jones? imho, great driver, bad personality.

Last edited by HDTVKSS; 14 Jul 2004 at 01:19.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 05:40 (Ref:1036051)   #83
markysjag
Rookie

Australia
hobart australia
markysjag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there was a manual on how to get to the top in F1 it would look very much like Mark Webbers career so far,start at the bottom and beat team mates about the only thing a driver can do in a minadi,next mid field team Jag finnish in the points and some good fast laps next step Williams and then podiums and then championship!!!!!!!He is doing everything right!
Old 14 Jul 2004, 06:24 (Ref:1036063)   #84
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVKSS
will agree with that from several personal experiences.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 07:08 (Ref:1036086)   #85
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVKSS
Really GREAT driver...really SHOCKING personality (fans, sponsors, other drivers, organisers simply DO NOT COUNT for AJ).
Old 14 Jul 2004, 08:54 (Ref:1036146)   #86
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams loved him.
Old 14 Jul 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1036219)   #87
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Frank Williams isn't generally seen as being a very nice guy either though.