Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 10 Jul 2004, 10:02 (Ref:1032067)   #26
CVT
Rookie

CVT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didnt Williams have a championship winning car last year?
Old 10 Jul 2004, 10:19 (Ref:1032084)   #27
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
On the otherhand, is the competition really weak or did MS make them look weak?
i like this one .. could be

Ciao Marco
Old 10 Jul 2004, 10:41 (Ref:1032105)   #28
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm... "If we had the car he had".... That does not bode well at all... WHY, Juan, why don't you have the car they have, mind if I ask? The winning cars don't grow in trees for anyone ro reap.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 11:03 (Ref:1032117)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Reading a different forum to me then.

Never had a good team mate, only coz Senna died etc etc etc.

What I meant was, apart from those who're blinkered against him, no-one would say the titles are devalued.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 14:53 (Ref:1032455)   #30
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
but the problem lies with many "blinkered" critics don't think they are A few of them even claim to be the only ones sensible enough to know F1..
Old 10 Jul 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1032460)   #31
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But back to topic, i think it's more suitable if this session is used to evaluate JPM instead, whom i actually find is a very interesting case.

And honestly, i'm pretty disappointed to see how his career has stalled at this point... although i don't buy all the hype, i actually thought he does have a huge potential to actually make a huge impact to F1 and bring about a level of competitiveness.

And with a good team like Williams, i really can't see how he and Williams team had managed to squander such a good opportunity to challenge MS/Ferrari, esp last season.

Hopefully, next season lives up to our expectations... i never enjoy watching talents going to waste.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 16:17 (Ref:1032502)   #32
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the point that should be made is:

consider tgf's successin the years that he had the inferior car.

96 3 wins
97 5 wins
98 6 wins

(not to mention numerous podiums)

this is the point that juan misses. many excellent results are possible even with an inferior car. even with an inferior car tgf's greatness shone.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 16:49 (Ref:1032519)   #33
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MS always makes the most of what he has. Even during the years where he did not have the best car he maximised his points. JPM and Williams in general seem to be in a habit of minimising their points. Crashes, failures, bad pit stops and disqualifications occur too often. They even left Ralf on his jacks at Spa.
I think they have taken 1 point from the last 6 races. Simply not good enough form the whole team.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1032574)   #34
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank_White
the point that should be made is:

consider tgf's successin the years that he had the inferior car.

96 3 wins
97 5 wins
98 6 wins

(not to mention numerous podiums)
I don't think one can say, that '97 and '98 Ferraris were 'inferior', at least not the way the 2004 Williams is.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 10 Jul 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1032584)   #35
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is no denying that despite any shenaningans in earlier years he is in 2004 absolutely at the top of his game...probably because he is so relaxed as he really has nothing left to prove
Old 11 Jul 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1032975)   #36
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Kicking-back [/i

No-one says Schumacher's titles are devalued because Prost or Lauda aren't racing against him [/B]
Or Senna?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 11 Jul 2004, 15:18 (Ref:1033122)   #37
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:

96 3 wins
97 5 wins
98 6 wins
I agree that the Ferrari was not the best car in the field in these particular years.

Not as good as the Williams in 1996 or 1997, or as the McLaren in 1998.

But I think the word "inferior" is stretching it a bit too far.

Quote:

this is the point that juan misses. many excellent results are possible even with an inferior car. even with an inferior car tgf's greatness shone.
Of course you have to take into account the differences to the other teams as well.
While Schumacher may not have got the BEST car in 1996, 1997 or 1998, it probably was not just a mid-pack car either.

This years' Williams seems to be just that. A mid-pack car.
I'd rather blame the team than the drivers for that. If not, one driver would consistently outperform the other and I didn't see that happen.

The relative differences between Ralf and JPM are comparable to those of the last 3 years IMO.

What can you do as a driver if the car (or the package?) just isn't okay?
Old 11 Jul 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1033359)   #38
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by tally-bally-ho
If Juan stopped acting like a 12 year old school bully and started acting like the best professional racing driver in the world, it would be easier to show sympathy with his position.
This guy doesn´t need more sympathy, this guy needs a better car.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:48 (Ref:1033389)   #39
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
Or Senna?
I deliberately left him out, as he hadn't retired. I was just naming a couple of drivers who fought it out in 84 - ie ten years before Schumacher's first title.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 00:44 (Ref:1033597)   #40
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Had a good car last year.
Couldn't win.
Sook up.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 01:30 (Ref:1033608)   #41
Arai GP5
Racer

Arai GP5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On his day, yes, JPM would would win if he had the ferrari. Only thing is, Schumi has about 1 off day a year (Suzuka 03), where as JPM is wasting his brilliance by getting ****ed off at the drop of a hat, and having many an off day.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 09:42 (Ref:1033873)   #42
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apart from the car performances, the driver has someone to give, as Fisi is showing.

About that, we have to say that, after catching his 6th title, MS is currently flawless, if he had a slower car he would probably have won less, or even nothing, but in any case his driving style would still be absolutely perfect.

Can we say the same about JPM?
Old 12 Jul 2004, 10:34 (Ref:1033938)   #43
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya is at the top of his game this year, shame he doesn't have a car to prove it. I find it strange that there is no mention of Kimi in all of this who has been no where all season until he's finally got a car to do his talent justice. It's difficult to appreciate just how good Schumacher's Ferrari is at the moment, it simply runs on rails while everyone else bounces and scrabbles around for grip. It's impossible to compare and contrast when the playing field is so far from being equal.

Bringing up stats from the early '90's doesn't really hold either. Schu's first ever win only really happened because a quickly closing Mansell developed a misfire. Realiabilty is so good now that it's far more difficult to pick up the odd podium or even then odd win when your car simply isn't up to the job.

I'm glad to see that McLaren seem to have finally found some form again and hope they can carry it through to next year and we can see Juan and Kimi really taking the fight to Schumacher.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 10:40 (Ref:1033945)   #44
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I'm sure JPM is starting to feel better now.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1033984)   #45
ttc
Racer

ttc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Montoya is at the top of his game this year, shame he doesn't have a car to prove it. I find it strange that there is no mention of Kimi in all of this who has been no where all season until he's finally got a car to do his talent justice. It's difficult to appreciate just how good Schumacher's Ferrari is at the moment, it simply runs on rails while everyone else bounces and scrabbles around for grip. It's impossible to compare and contrast when the playing field is so far from being equal.

Bringing up stats from the early '90's doesn't really hold either. Schu's first ever win only really happened because a quickly closing Mansell developed a misfire. Realiabilty is so good now that it's far more difficult to pick up the odd podium or even then odd win when your car simply isn't up to the job.

I'm glad to see that McLaren seem to have finally found some form again and hope they can carry it through to next year and we can see Juan and Kimi really taking the fight to Schumacher.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:27 (Ref:1034009)   #46
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good post ttc. I've got this feeling of de ja vu ------------ again. ;_
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:43 (Ref:1034032)   #47
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
What game was he talking about - tennis?

He sure ain't driving very well...
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1034036)   #48
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have I told you my deja vu joke? ... :confused:

Er, anyway. I can understand JPM saying what he did, especially (I'm sure) in answer to some very pointed questions. After all, it'd be just wrong if Juan said "Oh yes, Michael is a God and we all worship him!" wouldn't it...

But in truth, it is the whole Ferrari package that is winning races. Yes, they have the best strategic minds to come up with something different to win a race (4 stops in France, now 2 stops at Silverstone, both in races that were "3 stop no-brainers" to nearly everyone else). But they're able to do that because a) they're out in front and can take a risk with little or no pain, b) they've got the best pit crew in the business, c) the Bridgestones might start slow but can then outperform the Michelins for lap after lap, and finally d) they have possibly the only driver out there who can consistently deliver the screaming laps required, when required, to make the strategy work. (A bit of good fortune with traffic helps too...)

Take just one element out of that and they become beatable.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:00 (Ref:1034049)   #49
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually WATCH the races deeks, just because he's not on the telly doesn't mean he's not driving well.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:11 (Ref:1034065)   #50
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree that this year he is driving to a higher level than before. The griping still dissapoints and is unnecessary.

However the car just isn't competitive.