Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1033140)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
honestly, i really wonder why some of you even bother to turn on the tele to watch.....has it become a form of self-flagellation to complain about another "snooze fest"?.......no overtaking, races won on strategy alone, no excitement, i'd have been better off doing something else, blah blah blah, ad nauseum.......if it is so dull for some of you, why DO you bother to even watch?......there has to be better ways to fill in 2 hours on a sunday.......why put yourselves through such boredom?....

Well, to be honest, I haven't bothered recently. But I thought to myself, come on, its the British Grand Prix - it wasn't bad last year and you never know your luck...... The astonishing thing is that I didn't fall asleep this time.

Where's the next yawnfest then guys?, I'll set the VCR now - I'd hate to miss it.....
Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:08 (Ref:1033186)   #27
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It may seem a bit much to see the greatest racer of all time do his thing again....but it was a good race behind him. Passing, wrecks etc and the return of one of the big guns, nice race kimi! Are you all keeping copies of the races for posterity, for we are in the ms era and his dominance will not be matched in my lifetime.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1033187)   #28
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't taped a GP since Monaco 1994. My favoured F1 era finished the race before....
Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1033189)   #29
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hard not to disagree with you aysedasi, the cars even looked better then. Drivers were less polite and were more exotic somehow. Could be I was just younger?
Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1033197)   #30
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by crazystu
sorry Peter, didn't realise that you missed some excellent adverts/commercials.
you must mean the vodafone/schumacher advert...not only a great driver, but a not bad comedy actor!
Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1033208)   #31
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what would life be without a little moaning and groaning?

hehehe, comes with the age i suppose. you know there is something so predictable about old men, especially when they start with the classic; "back in my day....."

fog_shadow
Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:27 (Ref:1033209)   #32
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That was an advert.....?

Sodding hell, I thought that was Schuey on his retirement preparation course........

Wishful thinking again.......
Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:35 (Ref:1033223)   #33
fog_shadow
Racer

fog_shadow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gosh!! make that "back in my century......."

Old 11 Jul 2004, 16:41 (Ref:1033235)   #34
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ysofast
It may seem a bit much to see the greatest racer of all time do his thing again....

The greatest racing driver of all time died in 1968

The guy you saw today was the strategy king, nothing else, he won the race by going fast on a clear track in the best car while his rivals were stuck in traffic.

Robert
Old 11 Jul 2004, 17:33 (Ref:1033302)   #35
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the F1 establishment, and F1 fans think Schumachers dominance is the only thing wrong with the sport then they are very much mistaken.

The cars, despite being awesomely fast are boring in the extreme to watch, look terrible, and activelly encourage teams to avoid close racing due to their aerodynamics.

F1 has always had domination, but the other areas of F1 have been upto scratch.

There is not one area of F1 at the moment that is an improvement on even 10 years ago.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1033322)   #36
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
There is not one area of F1 at the moment that is an improvement on even 10 years ago.
In one sentance you sum up what I have spent the afternoon trying to put into words!
Old 11 Jul 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1033331)   #37
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by fog_shadow
gosh!! make that "back in my century......."

Don't worry squire, you'll be old(er) too one day and I'll lay odds-on you'll use the same phrase plenty often enough.......
Old 11 Jul 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1033347)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I should make a point here. I know it isn't Ferrari and Mickey-the-Shoe's fault. I know the other teams need to shape up. And I acknowledge that MS is a star.

But, that doesn't mean I should support a bore fest that relies on pitstop timing for its result does it?
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:02 (Ref:1033363)   #39
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was clear to see the diff. between Bridgestone and Mich today...frustrating though to those KR fans watching the guy come so close to MS just to fade back after a few hot laps...

Anyway, the Reds made it again and it is nice to see the Mc back on form...impressive stuff.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1033370)   #40
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
If the F1 establishment, and F1 fans think Schumachers dominance is the only thing wrong with the sport then they are very much mistaken.

The cars, despite being awesomely fast are boring in the extreme to watch, look terrible, and activelly encourage teams to avoid close racing due to their aerodynamics.

F1 has always had domination, but the other areas of F1 have been upto scratch.

Safety is probably the only improvement, and end then a few unneccessary short-cuts are being taken at times.

As a whole you're right. The cars need to be designed to take away the aeodynamic effects, and rules chanhed to remve the refuelling and minimise tyre stops.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:43 (Ref:1033384)   #41
Mouser
Rookie

United States
Pomeroy,Ohio,USA
Mouser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's to Kimi and David in the points! Nice to see
McClaren mounting some pressure on the red team.
I enjoyed the race! I thought there were some excellent
battles back in the field.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 21:08 (Ref:1033441)   #42
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Bites lip*
Old 11 Jul 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1033504)   #43
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enjoyed the race today and enjoy/appreciate the strategy involved, pity more teams don't have more brains!

Great to see Kimi back on form.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 02:33 (Ref:1033628)   #44
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert
[
The guy you saw today was the strategy king, nothing else, he won the race by going fast on a clear track in the best car while his rivals were stuck in traffic.

No offense, but if you have the best strategy, the fastest car and the fastest driver, isn't this what you are supposed to do?

Not sure I would be putting Clark ahead of Fangio, but he is right there with him!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 03:36 (Ref:1033646)   #45
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If we had exactly the same race, but MS retires, then there would have been screams of how great this race was

Fristly, MS is just but 1 out of 20 drivers on the grid. So i don't think he can have an influence on the battles that take place from 3rd place back.

If the quote from Robert is to be taken seriously, then i'm very sorry to say that drivers like kimi/button/rb would be "nothing"... But the fact is, they are all great guys yesterday.

There are quite some interesting battles, the cars were very quick, we had one spectacular accident, we have a safety car which almost threw MS's strategy out of the window...and some clean moves...

i can't see why people complains about it, then still tune to watch..and then complains again...and let the cycle repeat...haha..it's like taking a knife and stabbing yourself repeatedly.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:54 (Ref:1034045)   #46
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
i can't see why people complains about it, then still tune to watch..and then complains again...and let the cycle repeat...haha..it's like taking a knife and stabbing yourself repeatedly.
1. People watch it are FANS of the sport, "fan" is derived from the word "fanatical"

2. Fans are completely entitled to criticise the outcome of a race. Difference of opinion is one of the important aspects of human nature. If everyone was the same I think mankind would struggle to progress a bit!

3. Not everyone is pleased to see the No.1 car win all the time. Nor in the fashion in which its done.

But hey, thats life!
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:18 (Ref:1034079)   #47
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
If we had exactly the same race, but MS retires, then there would have been screams of how great this race was

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wouldn't have been screaming in those terms. I'd have been delighted, of course, just for the sake of seeing something different, but I'm not daft enough to regard one Schuey retirement as the end of F1 life as we have come to know it......
Old 12 Jul 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1034272)   #48
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just saying if the results in Silverstone was a Kimi win, and MS retired with problems, the reaction to the race would be =very different.

Just look at Monaco...
Old 12 Jul 2004, 15:12 (Ref:1034289)   #49
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm sure there are a few... (ok, several )... who would celebrate any race that doesn't see a Schumacher victory, but that over-simplifies matters.

I didn't think this race was that bad, but the apparent ease with which Schumacher made his strategy work would inevitably have frustrated alot of people who thought that maybe Silverstone was one of the best chances of an upset.

For many of us, even some Ferrari/Schumacher fans, a little genuine competition would be nice. At the same time, I do appreciate the historic significance of what we're witnessing... for me, Michael became the greatest ever F1 driver this season.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 15:36 (Ref:1034325)   #50
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
just saying if the results in Silverstone was a Kimi win, and MS retired with problems, the reaction to the race would be =very different.
Yes, highly likely. And it wouldn't be a bad thing either!
It would inrease the interest in the sport.
It's the predictability of the result that is so frustrating, that is why people are fed up.
Take the film Sixth Sense for example! The first time you watch it, it is utterly intriguing and exciting, because you don't know how it's going to end. To watch it again, with the knowledge that Bruce Willis is not exactly who he thinks he is, dramatically reduces the impact of the climax.

Probably not a very good analogy but it's the best I can think of!