Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Jul 2004, 18:08 (Ref:1033329)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM vs Ralf: Who will have the last laugh?

JPM goes to Mclaren : A proven winner. The MP419 B seems promising.

Ralf goes to Toyota : With a big budget, and a chance to do like his old brother i.e build a team around him.

Whose decision is better??
Old 11 Jul 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1033333)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Montoya is going to be a far bigger success in my mind. Partly due to the choice he has made and partly as he is a far better driver.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:06 (Ref:1033365)   #3
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Webber...
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1033372)   #4
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely Montoya.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1033373)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya. Toyota will not be a race winner for a while yet.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1033377)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1033378)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota won't become regular challengers for a couple of years yet, although I can see them getting podiums next year.

The MP4-19B looks promising, and I can see them building on it with a good 2005 development. If he can gain status in the team alongside Kimi, I think JPM is well set up for the future.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 19:45 (Ref:1033386)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And Ron will let JPM and Kimi race each other
Old 11 Jul 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1033503)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Montoya, (but then, i would say that ) looking at the way McLaren seemed to have turned around their season, i bet he can't wait for 2005.

As for Rafe, i don't think that Toyota will get theirselves sorted in the time he will be there, and the fact that he is there may also hinder them. He's quick when he's got a good car underneath him, but slow when he hasn't, plus he seems to let his moral drop when it's not going for him.

Last edited by Mr V; 11 Jul 2004 at 22:16.
Old 11 Jul 2004, 22:26 (Ref:1033514)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Thing is, you always know McLaren will come back from a bad patch and usually stronger than before.

Signing for them isn't really a risk.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 00:09 (Ref:1033581)   #11
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No contest. Montoya easily!
McLaren are always there abouts.
Depending on how good the car is, could have between 0-20 race wins.

Toyota won't win a race in Ralf's time there.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 00:20 (Ref:1033586)   #12
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: JPM vs Ralf: Who will have the last laugh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
[B
Whose decision is better?? [/B]
ralf's......he now has the chance to build a team around him and i think he can do it provided there is long term commitment by both he and toyota.....montoya is going to find that having had ralf as a teammate will be nothing compared to having kimi as one....the "iceman" will come out on top.....
Old 12 Jul 2004, 00:20 (Ref:1033587)   #13
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
By the time Toyota build a real winner (and they will!), it may be too late for Ralf. Is he good enough anyway? At US$20m a year, he thinks he's a winner.

As for Montoya, it will probably be the same as at Williams ... good car, win a race or 2 when it should win a lot more. I suspect Raikkonnen will be a better bet over race distances.

Will Juan ever learn that natural driving talent alone will not win you a WDC or regular races these days? His obnoxious attitude to teamwork and getting fit will forever hinder his efforts, I think.

So the big winner is ...

Mark Webber - gets a Williams, wins races and maybe ...
Old 12 Jul 2004, 01:15 (Ref:1033605)   #14
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: JPM vs Ralf: Who will have the last laugh?

Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1

Ralf goes to Toyota : With a big budget, and a chance to do like his old brother i.e build a team around him.

Ralf has been to 2 teams and both have not only not gelled around him but have let him trundle off elsewhere,His brother on the other hand has delivered a couple of championships to every team that he has done a full season with. He has been able to convince key technical staff to follow him from one team to another,has comprehensively beaten every team mate that he has had and avoided crashing into his team mate year in year out.

Montoya will have done better out of this but Webber will also be in a handy position as the team will lap him up after the year that they are having with driver disharmony.

Ron is probally more qualified to handle a couple hard nosed frivers ,ala Senna/Prost

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 12 Jul 2004, 02:11 (Ref:1033614)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think that JPM will do better, absolutely. Kimi would be (imho) the perfect team mate - he just shows up and works hard - no posturing or pretending to be Michael.

Schumi Lite on the other hand (and as has been correctly pointed out) has not done anything in his career to indicate that he can do anything other than to build bad feelings.

Going to Toyota is going to take the team to "the next level" for sure - if you define the "next level" as sulking, pranging your team mate on a regular basis and generally failing to live up to your potential.

If I were CDM or Panis I would be wondering if I would want Schumi Lite as my "team mate."

By inference here if indeed Webber goes to Williams he could well end up doing better than Schumi Lite, at least in the short term. Williams still has more on the ball than whatever it is they are doing at Toyota, Gascoyne's presence notwithstanding.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 02:30 (Ref:1033626)   #16
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM's move will be the better of the two as he is going to an organised team where Ralf is going to a team that doesn't appear as though they are going to be a force for quite some time.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:01 (Ref:1034050)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
even if ralf build the team around him- he doesn't have the same work ethic and charisma his brother has to organize the team as a leader, he seems to be more of "things should be good for me if not its your fault" pout kind of guy. it won't bode well and he may sign the deal an d do well the car has power, he will bring good set ups, but it is toyota and i bet Toyota is itching for a "takuma sato" to be their golden boy anyway
Montoya's disecion was fast and emotional as he is, and the team has now matched its pace of before, so he will slot into it quite well, although he isn't the media cutie that DC is and mercedes may have to clip hi a bit.
and Kimi- well fire and ice won't do too well together but i bet they will race realy fast and stay out of each other way, as far as Mr. dennis is concerned, race each other until... (don't tell me this hasnt happened at maclaren)
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1034091)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as they don't drive eachother off the track as has happened in the past then they will most probably, if not surely be the best driver combo on the grid next year.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 13:03 (Ref:1034131)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's hard to tell whether Montoya or Raikkonen is the better driver - I think both have different strengths and weaknesses, so providing they get on okay and both like the same type of car, it could be a very promising combination.

Not sure why Ralf would do any better gelling a team than he has in the past. He will know that it's his last chance, and he can't really afford to do much wrong to maximise the team's results, which is good motivation, but a lot depends on the choice of team-mate, as Ralf has failed to click with several in the past.

Webber at Williams could be a very good fit.

Tags
jpm