Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2004, 10:22 (Ref:1033921)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reaffirming the faith

It’s been a couple of years since I've had the chance to watch a Grand Prix from trackside and even longer since I've viewed a Grand Prix car at a point of the circuit that demonstrates just what they are capable of (I was in the trees at the bus stop at Spa two years ago).

I'll admit that in recent months, while my love for F1 has remained as high as ever, the passion I once felt has waned slightly. Sitting a Bridge for the qualy and race and on the exit of Stowe during practice this weekend I can say that that passion has well and truly returned. Watching these cars hammer under Bridge virtually flat before slamming on the brakes for Vail and decelerating by nearly 100mph in a heartbeat is something to behold. The forces that you can see visibly shaking the car over the bumps is phenomenal and the level of respect I have these guys is heightened all the more.

F1 really is still the pinnacle of motorsport. People whine about the lack of overtaking and incident, but the only reason for this is that the teams and drivers that compete in F1 are so damn good. Compared to the Grand Prix everything else just looked boring. There was plenty of incident and lots of overtaking, particularly in the Maserati race, but these came about through moments of stupidity from a driver, rather than moments of genius.

F1 drivers are the best of the best and I'm privileged to be able to watch and appreciate what they are doing. I was frustrated somewhat by Schumacher's apparent dislike of overtaking as, for the second week running, the Ferrari tacticians decided to remove the inconvenience of overtaking another car by going with a different strategy. However, Schumacher on a clear road is majestic. I don't know at this point when I'll be able to afford to make it to a Grand Prix again but I sure hope it’s soon.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 10:27 (Ref:1033932)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:01 (Ref:1033975)   #3
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nathan, I'm jealous u got to go fella!!
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:04 (Ref:1033976)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

I must also admit that my interest has been slipping, but watching the London event on TV blew me away. I missed the race on Sunday sadly as I was at a freinds house, but I'll be watching the next one no doubt.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:25 (Ref:1034004)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree with everything you say Damon.

But try explaining it to someone who's idea of a sporting day is sitting in front of the TV watching a bunch of nonces punt a spherical plastic coated bladder around for 90 mins.

And that's the problem.

Unless you have an idea about the stresses and strains, the degree of control required and the sheer scariness of pushing these cars to the limit it is (to quote one of my colleagues) as interesting as watching paint dry.

So until they change the regs to promote overtaking its never going to appeal to anyone but the die-hards.

As I said elsewhere I saw MW/FA and Fisi. I saw Button trying to put one on Rubens. And I understood what the drivers were doing. But to the non enthusiast it was just dancing aroiund in expensive advertising hoardings.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1034017)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
The fans of plastic coated bladder won't actually like F1 anyway, if they're not die hard F1 followers already. Or have potential. The only way to appeal them is to start the TV show with like 1 hour earlier, and have full coverage of pitbabes.

Last edited by Red; 12 Jul 2004 at 11:32.
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:14 (Ref:1034071)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or full "uncoverage" of the pit babes?
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:28 (Ref:1034095)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Or full "uncoverage" of the pit babes?
That's the "ideal" kind of coverage !
Old 12 Jul 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1034114)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Peter, have you ever considered a career change, and approach the fascinating TV-production world?
Old 12 Jul 2004, 14:08 (Ref:1034206)   #10
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree Also Damon.

Managed to get in the circuit for free on Friday, and sat and watched the cars come through bridge and around the complex. Supremely impressed with the speed they carried, and watching slightly further down, come into and out of woodcote, mightly impressed. All we need now is to get two running closer together....

Managed to get on Sundya too, and watched from the inside of Copse, pretty special. Something I did notice was how te crowd all picked up arfter the safety car, when Kimi was right on Schui's tail , everyone around us was on their feet, just absolutley riveted.

And just ot make everyone extremely jealous, I'd just like to say that i never paid a single penny to get in, I didn't even have a ticket... Just helped that I was fully decked out in Jordan kit, from having been working over in the Jordan Village

Good times

Ed
Old 12 Jul 2004, 23:59 (Ref:1034831)   #11
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for me attending a race is like drinking from the fountain of youth....it does rather rejuvenate the passion......glad you had a good time damon.....
Old 13 Jul 2004, 00:54 (Ref:1034870)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed Damon (good to finally meet you aswell )

There is nothing like going to a GP (this is my 6th on the trot) and seeing the cars and hearing the noise.

On the friday we sat at Copse B grandstand, and one of the guys in our party was blown away by the speeds the cars went through the corner, neither could he believe how loud they were.

Can't wait till next year now!

Last edited by Mr V; 13 Jul 2004 at 00:54.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 11:34 (Ref:1035186)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Inspirational words, Damon!

Y'know, there's an awful lot of armchair fans out there who've never been to a circuit to watch a day's live motorsport, who still feel able to criticise the sport and offer their advice as to where it's all going wrong and what we should change. Just count up the 'state of F1' threads we have at the moment.

STOP! Thankyou. Before you hit submit, please read on... this is not meant as a criticism!. I didn't start going to circuits until I was in my mid-twenties, and have still only been to two F1 Grand Prix. And I know there are many people who either can't go, or are unfortunate enough to be stranded in some motorsport backwater (like the US for example... ).

All I will say is this. If you haven't been to a major motorsport event, and especially if you're an F1 fan who hasn't yet been to an F1 race, promise yourself that you will just as soon as circumstances allow. No-one can truly understand or appreciate the unique atmosphere generated at F1 races, at Le Mans, at the best historic venues, until you experience them for yourself. I feel so incredibly lucky that I can now spend the time and money to visit circuits around Europe (and soon the world - one or two a year is the plan!) to watch top level motorsport. I enjoy many things in life, but to be at (or even better, part of) any live motorsport, from Oulton clubbies through rallies and GTs to Le Mans and F1, is what I love most (maybe alongside the drive there ).

Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
for me attending a race is like drinking from the fountain of youth...
I couldn't put it better. Watching on tv might give me more info as to what's going on, but it's just the poor substitute to make do with until my next trip.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 12:32 (Ref:1035269)   #14
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
All I will say is this. If you haven't been to a major motorsport event, and especially if you're an F1 fan who hasn't yet been to an F1 race, promise yourself that you will just as soon as circumstances allow. No-one can truly understand or appreciate the unique atmosphere generated at F1 races, at Le Mans, at the best historic venues, until you experience them for yourself.
Have to agree with that. Silverstone was my second GP. The atmosphere was just fantastic. The reception for Button was incredible. When he came out last for qually 2, the place just erupted with roars and air horns. The cheers that went up when MS spun twice in Saturday practice. But saying that on the slowing down lap everyone got to their feet and applauded the win, including myself.

You have to experience the speed, the sound, the smell, the crowd cheering and ooing and ahhing as one.

If, fingers crossed, there is a GP at Silverstone next year we're planning to make the trip again already.
Old 13 Jul 2004, 12:35 (Ref:1035274)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
You've all forgotten the beer, the pig roast, the donuts, the breakfasts, the impromptu firework displays to keep you awake all noght, the flags, the bar b cues, the breakfasts, the support packages, did I mention the pig roast and the beer?
Old 13 Jul 2004, 13:09 (Ref:1035332)   #16
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Inspirational words, Damon!

Y'know, there's an awful lot of armchair fans out there who've never been to a circuit to watch a day's live motorsport, who still feel able to criticise the sport and offer their advice as to where it's all going wrong and what we should change. Just count up the 'state of F1' threads we have at the moment.
Hallelujah!
Old 13 Jul 2004, 15:53 (Ref:1035532)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Agreed Damon (good to finally meet you aswell )
Too right matey! My mate Carl said how great it was to actually speak with someone else who knew what they were talking about! Top weekend!
Old 13 Jul 2004, 16:04 (Ref:1035547)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I guess watching an event live just reminds you of why you love the sport.

F1 as a televisual spectacle has waned dramatically this year, but forget the television.......the sport is still the best out there by miles as I was reminded when I went to Silverstone at the weekend. Now I will never ever let the downsides of the TV coverage blur my view of F1.

For the most part I was sat at Abbey (not the greatest corner to say the least, but still entertaining) and stood at the entry to Bridge (spectacular!).....I was most gutted when I had to go home!