Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jul 2011, 23:33 (Ref:2927257)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Wow... it seems I was wrong here. I'm quite shocked.
Ugly, distressing, and apparently totally accurate obsevation!
Old 16 Jul 2011, 01:16 (Ref:2927285)   #17
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Just unearthed this recent video of the FIA conducting crash tests on two different strength canopies.

Not quite sure what to think! All the drivers know that when they step into the car there is a chance they might not be stepping out alive, is this just a belated knee-jerk reaction to the accidents of Henry Surtees and Felipe Massa? I'd be interested in seeing what sort of damage a suspension spring could do to one of those canopies...

Fantastic idea, let's do it..
Old 16 Jul 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2927293)   #18
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, do they then require aircon in the cockpit or would that be covered by some sort of g-suit implementation in a package deal?

But then if one was going to all that trouble why not go the whole way and take the driver out of the car altogether? Let's face it right now they are little more than the top of decorated helmets as far as the spectators are concerned so why not just paint the helmet onto the car and let the drivers control it rom somewhere safe?

Or just run the things controlled by some sort of FIA approved Simulated Driver software. Maybe even crowd source the inputs from the trackside to give spectators a sense of real involvement.

Last edited by grantp; 16 Jul 2011 at 02:15.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2927358)   #19
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But hang on a sec, F1 have been seriously thinking about using closed canopies for decades. This isn't really a brand new issue.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2927368)   #20
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure there was a car in the 60's with a perspex canopy and a wooden chassis?

I think its great that the FIA are testing these kinds of things, and they probably test a lot of other things too that we don't really see.

I wouldn't mind the canopy. The WSC cars (near the time of the WSC's death) had canopies that could be flipped open and had lots of F1 tech involved.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2927430)   #21
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think the idea is a good one, however getting the driver out of the car in case of an emergency would prove to be very time consuming, the canopy would have to be lifted somehow? Then you have the problem with the release mechanism..

So I am not sure it is a very practical solution at the end of the day..
Old 16 Jul 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2927444)   #22
dsg
Subscriber
Veteran

Thailand
อ่างทŪ
dsg should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Do Moto GP forums have these types of discussions or do they just get on with it?
Do any of them have enough fingers remaining or unbroken to type?
Old 16 Jul 2011, 16:38 (Ref:2927446)   #23
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The big problem is getting at a driver in the car when it's upside down. Either the car will need a door or every marshals post will need cutting gear and I can't see the teams being too keen on getting the cars back in small bits.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2927484)   #24
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant imagine its hard to make a quick release canopy. Hell if a jet fighter can do it at 700 knots (mph?) im sure with the seemingly unlimited resources of F1 they can come up with something.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 20:16 (Ref:2927495)   #25
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
I cant imagine its hard to make a quick release canopy. Hell if a jet fighter can do it at 700 knots (mph?) im sure with the seemingly unlimited resources of F1 they can come up with something.
Making a quick release canopy isn't the problem.....of course the teams can do it....but there are other issues, as being raised here.

I'm sure the FIA would want a universal quick release method so that rescue personnel do not need to learn the intricacies of each teams system....

A fighter pilot will (generally) be right way up, with a clear path ahead to eject into, not upside down wedged against a barrier...

Only a handful of aircrew have ejected at speeds of 700kts or higher - usually ejection takes place at much lower speeds when the crew have determined that the aircraft is unlikely to be recoverable from it's abnormal or unplanned flight path/trim, and impact with the ground or other object is inevitable...
Old 16 Jul 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2927503)   #26
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In the good 'ol days there was virtually no difference between F1 & sportscars (in fact it was quite common for a few changes to be done on a car between races on the same bill to allow it to run both).

The indycar reject Deltawing will run Le Mans next year & now this - are we coming full circle?
Old 17 Jul 2011, 02:18 (Ref:2927566)   #27
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!wnut has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
In the good 'ol days there was virtually no difference between F1 & sportscars (in fact it was quite common for a few changes to be done on a car between races on the same bill to allow it to run both).

The indycar reject Deltawing will run Le Mans next year & now this - are we coming full circle?

F1 and Sports Cars same program and not Formula Libre!

When? 1956?

"The indycar reject Deltawing will run Le Mans next year"

That thing is just complete rubbish and surrounded by so much spin and BS - believe that when you see it actually turn a lap, and then make the grid.

Personally I would love to take a bet against it racing there or anywhere else, although any right thinking bookie would give you the same odds of winning the lottery!
Old 17 Jul 2011, 03:39 (Ref:2927571)   #28
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surprised that it has happened sooner really. My thinking is, that it would help the 'aero' out and make F1 cars quicker. Not having a driver in the way, but a smooth surface.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 04:51 (Ref:2927576)   #29
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
I'm pretty sure there was a car in the 60's with a perspex canopy and a wooden chassis?
Yes, a Frank Costin design, I think? I have been trying to remember the name of it.

Not a full canopy, more like a half with a horizontal slit at eye level.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 05:50 (Ref:2927578)   #30
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am okay with this idea- if prototypes can run with out fear of trapping a driver when it flips. however this will change the formula a lot, and how far doe it go to Formula ford, or Karts? F1 and GP2 or build a cage of sorts around the driver-
i can't think of many World of Outlaw or Midget/ sprint USAC silver crown head accidents from debris, and someone goes end over end in every race.