Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jul 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3750215)   #991
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
People tend to get hung up on trying to engineering solutions that will solve ALL known and unknown problems current and future. Plus trying to solve using a single solution. For example a common one is... When car is in X position, how will the driver extract himself? That line of thinking has no reasonable path forward if the solution to all problems is always "self extraction".

I am sure we can generate conditions using both the current open and potentially future closed cockpits in which self extraction is impossible. Or rather... would be difficult to do without external help, or requires significant engineering burdens upon the design within the car. The Alonso example is a good one and I think the very recent Pascal Wehrlein Monaco example is good as well. Maybe self extraction in those and other cases may not be the answer?

Combat fighters at 10's of thousands of feet have no "help" when things go wrong. So that is why complex ejections systems exist (explosive canopy release, rocket extraction from the aircraft, automatic parachute deployment, etc.). These cars are designed to race in a relatively controlled environment in which the overall safety goes beyond just the driver and the survival cell. Outside help does exist.

So, design the solution so that the driver can self extricate in the vast majority of common scenarios (including some upside down scenarios). For the exceptional situations in which that may not be easily achieved (car is upside down, large fuel fire and another car or debris is piled on top. Or the car is deeply buried in a tire wall or some other structure. Or even straight up equipment failure of the egress system which prevents the canopy from opening) You should then rely upon alternative safety measures. That may include designs to enable a "shelter in place" strategy until on track help arrives. Frankly I see no other way around that. It is unlikely that any solution will solve all problem. As much as I dislike the non-canopy solutions, they clearly are taking this approach. They are trying to solve for a number of scenarios (generally intrusion from the front) that is less than all of the potential scenarios (intrusion from the top). My beef is that they are not solving for enough scenarios.

And as always... it's good to point out again and again... All of this has generally been solved in other series. F1 loves to pretend they are so unique that their solution has to be unique as well. Just look to other series as to what has worked and what type of extraction scenarios have occurred.

Richard
Old 10 Jul 2017, 18:27 (Ref:3750221)   #992
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently Indycar have caught onto the idea and might be testing the shield soon
Old 10 Jul 2017, 19:28 (Ref:3750231)   #993
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Worth having a look. I'll wait for real photos of it.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 10:00 (Ref:3750875)   #994
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Worth having a look. I'll wait for real photos of it.
Would a video clip do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfv6AvnD15A
Old 13 Jul 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3750904)   #995
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
If that is the real deal, from an esthetics perspective it's not bad. Clearly that is a computer generated image. Is it speculation/artist rendering from Motorsports.com (which would be meaningless for the purpose of this discussion) or something more official from Ferrari and/or FIA which may be an accurate representation?

Richard
Old 13 Jul 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3750906)   #996
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!
I mean, if you have that whole apparatus on the front of the car, surely you don't need to have bodywork under it, right? Would make it easier to get out of there was an open hole under the screen.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 16:55 (Ref:3750943)   #997
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I mean, if you have that whole apparatus on the front of the car, surely you don't need to have bodywork under it, right? Would make it easier to get out of there was an open hole under the screen.
I suspect they feel they are solving two different problems. For example I suspect they don't expect the screen to do everything the existing safety cell already does. It is just additive and clearly focused nearly 100% on deflection of objects that come directly from the front and not from the top. And even then the drivers will still be still be required to wear a full face helmet (additional intrusion protection). It is rightly using the "defense in depth" strategy with multiple layers of protection.

There is also the practical nature in that it provides structure for attachment of steering wheel, etc. and having the a smaller hole in the structure helps it maintain its overall physical integrity. And lastly... it allows teams to not have to redesign the safety cell ($$$) if new features are additive. Clearly ANY solution will impact aero design.

Richard
Old 13 Jul 2017, 18:25 (Ref:3750966)   #998
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-to-try-shield

Autosport with a photo. Still has plastic wrap on it.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3750968)   #999
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!Matt has a real shot at the championship!

I'm all about this.
Old 13 Jul 2017, 19:42 (Ref:3750983)   #1000
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
I'll still up for wait for seeing it real, but I hadn't seen that thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEoNQxHW0AESEnR.jpg

]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEoTQaEW0AMGN_a.jpg

I'm all about this.
It's not a bad effort. A bit more tweaking and it could be alright. Again I would still like to see it in context on track, but I recon that could be the sort of thing that is introduced and two races latter it has become normal.

(After loads of whinging or course )

Thanks
Old 13 Jul 2017, 20:11 (Ref:3750987)   #1001
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
Whilst still advocating a cockpit canopy, I'll admit on first sight that doesn't look too bad.

I could even foresee a tear off over frontal section that a driver could reach... wouldn't want to pick up someone else's in a brake duct or side pod though.

It's hard to see how quickly it drops from the front highpoint down to the headrest height. It could offer some protection from horizontal debris coming from off centre too.

I do still have reservations however regarding anything that is coming from above the horizontal, it would only been to be a few degrees above to miss the screen and hit the helmet.

As an aside to safety, it'll be interesting to see how long the team can run it on the car, it looks like it cold push air over the airbox and so seriously hamper cooling.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3751128)   #1002
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like an alien from the outside, sort of looks like a sprint car from the onboards
Old 14 Jul 2017, 12:28 (Ref:3751140)   #1003
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I suspect they feel they are solving two different problems. For example I suspect they don't expect the screen to do everything the existing safety cell already does. It is just additive and clearly focused nearly 100% on deflection of objects that come directly from the front and not from the top. And even then the drivers will still be still be required to wear a full face helmet (additional intrusion protection). It is rightly using the "defense in depth" strategy with multiple layers of protection.

There is also the practical nature in that it provides structure for attachment of steering wheel, etc. and having the a smaller hole in the structure helps it maintain its overall physical integrity. And lastly... it allows teams to not have to redesign the safety cell ($$$) if new features are additive. Clearly ANY solution will impact aero design.

Richard
Sensible comments Richard (as always). One point I would make is that surely, the biggest risk to driver injury is from objects that come directly from the front purely because an F! spends a lot of time moving forwards at a high velocity. At 200 odd MPH something coming from directly above would have (literally) a small window of opportunity to hit the driver.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3752860)   #1004
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the championship!
BBC reporting that it will be the Halo that will be on all cars for the 2018 season.

BBC Sport webite
Old 19 Jul 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3752862)   #1005
Matt
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Sources say nine out of 10 teams voted against the Halo, but the FIA said it would become part of the regulations for 2018 on safety grounds, albeit with "certain features of its design" being "further enhanced".
How typically F1.