Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Mar 2013, 01:58 (Ref:3215358)   #16
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We've had DBW on nearly all of the Ferrari's we've raced for over a decade as well as a couple of Lamborghini's we've built for track and targa over the last 6 years.

The SLS GT3 also has DBW but that car isn't limited to the "spec" ecu of V8SC.
Old 9 Mar 2013, 10:14 (Ref:3216338)   #17
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
I have to agree with most of the sentiments already posted. It's too soon to say they will struggle for the entire year IMO. Both the Nissan and Erebus teams have admitted they are still chasing more power from their engines, so their competitiveness depends on how quickly they can chase those power gains.

Don't forget too that the Mercs have a fly-by-wire throttle, and that seemed to be causing them a fair few problems, which you can safely say is a teething issue. How many race cars these days use a fly-by-wire throttle system? Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members among us may be able to fill answer that one for me.
As effy said, DBW has been around a while.

Ferrari 360C had them since 1999, and all Ferrari since.

All Gallardo too.

I can't see how they'll ever get decent torque at such lazy rpm.

They need to use nearer 9000rpm to make the potential power. And the flat plane crank just can't turn torque like a 90.

Ask Audi.. they learned all the lessons in DTM in the early 90s
Old 9 Mar 2013, 17:03 (Ref:3216430)   #18
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post

I can't see how they'll ever get decent torque at such lazy rpm.

They need to use nearer 9000rpm to make the potential power. And the flat plane crank just can't turn torque like a 90.

Ask Audi.. they learned all the lessons in DTM in the early 90s
So three, six or twelve months to sort the engine?
Old 9 Mar 2013, 18:39 (Ref:3216467)   #19
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Don't forget too that the Mercs have a fly-by-wire throttle, and that seemed to be causing them a fair few problems, which you can safely say is a teething issue. How many race cars these days use a fly-by-wire throttle system? Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members among us may be able to fill answer that one for me.
I reckon the root cause of all these problems is a cooling one, the pedal was getting way to hot number one, also I noticed that on every pitstop they had a guy blowing air into the radiator for as long as possible after changing the tyre (and didn't look like he was trying to clear out the ducts) and also noticed on the main straight the merc ducting out to clean air more than once.. If the pedal was getting to 90*+ I hate to know what under bonnet temps ended up at and how reliable some electronic sensors are at those temps vs a cable

Also I have no doubt the Mercs and Nissans are down on power vs the old dinosaur 2vers..
Old 10 Mar 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3216810)   #20
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't forget that the engine is now a lot closer to the firewall, and some of the old tricks to help alleviate help dispersion may not necessarily have to be used to date... Also, some race boots are better than others...
Old 10 Mar 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3216816)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Water cooled firewalls coming up??
Old 11 Mar 2013, 00:16 (Ref:3216848)   #22
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jack Perkins tweeted during Clipsal that some teams should go back to using LPs wooden gas pedal!
Old 11 Mar 2013, 08:40 (Ref:3216943)   #23
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
some highlights from Bettys live chat on the v8 site

Erebus - meaning the darkness, in that there was nothing there and then along came me!!!!!!!

SVG - i do have a comment, but it will just have to stay tucked away for a while,

Merc up to speed - me , personally , think that about mid season , you will start seeing something

Why SBR - when i met ross and then jimmy , it was like to older brothers, they make me feel very safe in what they handed to me, i was one lucky girl , to meet them

Parity - comes in the rules, we all need to be with in the guilde lines, hopefully we get it right , he he

Most importantly - today i put a BIG bit of purple across the fringe, and the hot pink, trying to be good for my hairdresser

well that's my hope
Old 14 Mar 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3218483)   #24
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great effort in Q1 by Slade... Here's hoping it's a sign of results to come in the near future.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3218512)   #25
JAFA851
Racer

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
some highlights from Bettys live chat on the v8 site

Erebus - meaning the darkness, in that there was nothing there and then along came me!!!!!!!
Is she for real??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Most importantly - today i put a BIG bit of purple across the fringe, and the hot pink, trying to be good for my hairdresser
Well if this is the "most important" thing on her agenda, then that pretty much confirms my thoughts about the whole Erebus situation, and probably SVG's too. I don't see them as anything more than grid fillers for the rest of the year and into next year, and then Erebus dissapperaring shortly after.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 20:37 (Ref:3218543)   #26
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Water cooled firewalls coming up??
Or water cooled boots

Good segment with Betty on V8 Insiders
Old 14 Mar 2013, 21:34 (Ref:3218583)   #27
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Software update for the FBW setup this weekend apparently... didnt help Mr Engel's pace...

Makes sense for AMG to have sent them a 'cooking' engine spec.. with developments to come... no issue of being smashed with the Parity hammer until the rest of the package is sorted...

Lets see what happens next
Old 14 Mar 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3218601)   #28
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!
I always thought Erebus was an unfortunate choice of name from a Kiwi perspective.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 23:17 (Ref:3218625)   #29
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Software update for the FBW setup this weekend apparently... didnt help Mr Engel's pace...

Makes sense for AMG to have sent them a 'cooking' engine spec.. with developments to come... no issue of being smashed with the Parity hammer until the rest of the package is sorted...

Lets see what happens next
From the looks Slade threw down a demon lap (over half a second quicker than anything else he'd done).... To be fair, aside from Slade's lap, the rest of the results have been rubbish and suggest that the cars have gone backwards (slowest three cars from combined practice).

Either way you look at it, in three short months the new management have turned one of the quickest teams to one of (if not the) slowest teams in the field....

And I'm not sure I'm with you on the notion that there's tactics at play here.... I've got the feeling that what they've got, is all they've got at this stage.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3218628)   #30
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
From the looks Slade threw down a demon lap (over half a second quicker than anything else he'd done).... To be fair, aside from Slade's lap, the rest of the results have been rubbish and suggest that the cars have gone backwards (slowest three cars from combined practice).

Either way you look at it, in three short months the new management have turned one of the quickest teams to one of (if not the) slowest teams in the field....

And I'm not sure I'm with you on the notion that there's tactics at play here.... I've got the feeling that what they've got, is all they've got at this stage.
If you read the stories about Erebus at the moment, they are currently limited to remapping engines to improve performance..

There are said to be 4 homologation windows where updates to the engine package can be submitted to V8SA for approval this season.

Each of these should see an improvement in engine output by way of changes to the hardware, not the software, or the trackside tuning.

Nismo is waiting for the next one to get some more power onboard as well.

Engine shops at the F1 level, and that is what the AMG program pretty much is, have a set of upgrades that happen through a season, where hardware is changed.. its scheduled, its planned, its properly resourced, its properly funded...

Quite how they know there will be 4 thinking changes leading to better performance is something hard to fathom...