Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Apr 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3729035)   #16
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
.......I wouldn't mind seeing an emerging brand like Federal or Nankang as the Supercars tyre supplier (or even more established Korean brands like Kumho, Nexen etc... DTM use Hankook as their tyre supplier)......
Had Kumho's come on my Kia, horrible tyres. The Bridgestones I fitted are much better, although the wear rate is concerning (could be my driving style though )
Old 26 Apr 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3729277)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The great tyre debate

well that's my hope
Old 26 Apr 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3729381)   #18
Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Good analysis (as you'd expect).

So definitely not a "blame Dunlop" situation - more involved than that. As usual, the full story takes a little time to emerge.

I thought the point about Mr Tander and Mr Crusty at the end was significant - almost a new version of "to finish first, first you need to finish".
Old 27 Apr 2017, 03:27 (Ref:3729397)   #19
Alan52
Veteran

Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's also remember Moto GP at Phillip Island in 2013.Bridgestone's tyres couldn't survive for more than 10 laps so there was a mandatory bike change half way through a 19 lap race.In Moto2 where Dunlop was the tyre supplier the race distance was halved because competitors don't have second bikes.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 06:46 (Ref:3729424)   #20
RedZedMikey
Racer

Australia
Victoria, Australia
RedZedMikey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Let's also remember Moto GP at Phillip Island in 2013.Bridgestone's tyres couldn't survive for more than 10 laps so there was a mandatory bike change half way through a 19 lap race.In Moto2 where Dunlop was the tyre supplier the race distance was halved because competitors don't have second bikes.
And after that, V8SC arranged a tyre test pretty quickly ... who would have thought? Wasn't a team car though, it was the COTF prototype.
http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/11/07/...ent-tyre-test/
Old 30 Apr 2017, 23:13 (Ref:3730205)   #21
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Worrisome that something like this could ruin your championship charge though.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 23:33 (Ref:3730211)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Worrisome that something like this could ruin your championship charge though.
Every team had the same tyre. If it was ruined it was because the boundry was pushed too far by the teams. not because of an issue with the tyre

well that's my hope
Old 30 Apr 2017, 23:35 (Ref:3730213)   #23
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Every team had the same tyre. If it was ruined it was because the boundry was pushed too far by the teams. not because of an issue with the tyre
So every flaw is absolutely identical is it, with no variance.... Dumb statement.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 30 Apr 2017, 23:52 (Ref:3730216)   #24
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
So every flaw is absolutely identical is it, with no variance.... Dumb statement.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
We have no reason to believe there was a flaw. No evidence to date of that, so no not a dumb statement

There appears to be a weakness in the tyre based that didnt cope with what the teams were trying to achieve which was consistent across all tyres. Some team got a handle on it on friday, others didnt.

well that's my hope
Old 3 May 2017, 02:17 (Ref:3730657)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Dunlop To Test Supercar Control Tyres... At Bathurst!!!

Let the tyres pop at 300 km/h instead on 280 km/h.

Smart

Cars can still crash and hurt stuff on test days..
Old 3 May 2017, 02:39 (Ref:3730659)   #26
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Smart

Mr Phelps' use of Tautograms is a little cringe worthy... what am I saying most of his stuff is already cringe worthy...
Old 3 May 2017, 02:42 (Ref:3730660)   #27
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Mr Phelps' use of Tautograms is a little cringe worthy... what am I saying most of his stuff is already cringe worthy...
there is thread for discussion on James, go and give your opinion there.

Any on topic comment?

well that's my hope
Old 3 May 2017, 03:03 (Ref:3730661)   #28
Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Smart

Would you rather that they rock up there for the race and just hope for the best?

After PI it seems critical to me to do some testing at Bathurst. The teams normally stand their wheels up much more at Bathurst to make life easier for the tyres but to have a better understanding of limits will be important.

Good move to do the test - neither easy nor cheap at Bathurst with all the gates to close etc but as Dunlop and the teams work through the issues, seems logical and needed to do this test.
Old 3 May 2017, 05:23 (Ref:3730666)   #29
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Would you rather that they rock up there for the race and just hope for the best?

After PI it seems critical to me to do some testing at Bathurst. The teams normally stand their wheels up much more at Bathurst to make life easier for the tyres but to have a better understanding of limits will be important.

Good move to do the test - neither easy nor cheap at Bathurst with all the gates to close etc but as Dunlop and the teams work through the issues, seems logical and needed to do this test.
Not doubting any of that.. but Phillip Island is easier to access in the first instance. And the source of 20-odd failures!

Would consider getting a tyre to work at PI to be more than a great start on a Bathurst tyre.

Can the tyre company get access to test at Bathurst anyway?

Doesnt seem to be another event running already before the B1000 they can just add a day to, like the BMW crowd did..

It requires government gazetting doesnt it, for a separate event. And approval from state & local government. And filling the support crew roster for officials & medical.

Or are we going to see this on Wednesday of Bathurst week

Why is it that Michelin or Pirelli can just pop up with their world GT tyre & just br on it, with no failures of note?
Old 3 May 2017, 05:37 (Ref:3730668)   #30
Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Why is it that Michelin or Pirelli can just pop up with their world GT tyre & just br on it, with no failures of note?
Seem to recall that one of the GT tyre suppliers had some issues at PI recently but can't remember which race meeting or which manufacturer.

To answer your question though would need a complex answer as tyres ain't simple. For example, GT tyres are wider, may not run anything like the same camber, are set up on the cars to get longer life (to keep pit stops short from a strategy standpoint) so less stress on the tyre, the cars are lighter and operate very differently in terms of roll stiffness, downforce etc. Plus on top of all that the tyre suppliers to GT3 have hundreds of cars running in various series and heaps of tracks all round the world so lots and lots of data to work with.

Dunlops for Supercar need to operate across a range of temperatures and a wide range of tracks and with the new construction the data is being collected from 28 or so cars. The testing of the tyres was reduced somewhat last year (in regards to PI) and so the development is still ongoing, made more intriguing by the teams ramping up the stress on the tyres this year with much higher camber angles.

Doing the test makes sense but it won't be easy as I mentioned as there'll be quite a few hoops to jump through.