Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5 Jun 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3738736)   #1
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 4,936
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Great (?) BTCC Streaming v TV Debate 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
I don't disagree that live motorsport on YouTube is ace, I watch a lot of it there. But live streaming on YouTube is not the way forward for the BTCC. Not yet. Typically, the events you list, get online live views in the low tens of thousands, TV still gets millions.

I watch the BTCC and free via the ITV website, or the ITV Hub app, so quite literally no idea what your point is.

Onwards.
Oh of course, BTCC should not be on Youtube, it should be on BTCC. My point is there are plenty of things to watch without pay TV. I don't have pay tv at all.

I disagree with the comment of "that's why these series have such small fan bases". Actually, the reason is because they have different business models. BTCC requires spectators (and a lot of them) because it's funded by sponsors, and sponsors need spectators. Sportscar racing, especially LMP2 and GTE-Am is funded by wealthy drivers. There is absolutely no need for sponsors in those series, so they don't need to go for TV time and what not. This works out well because most people don't want to watch 4-6 hour races, but amateur drivers DO want to drive those races, and they'll pay for it.

It's a completely different business model and is funded differently. Same as creventic - they have even said they'll drop the Pro teams to keep the Ams if needed.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 5 Jun 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3738758)   #2
AdrianM
Racer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 115
AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Typically, the events you list, get online live views in the low tens of thousands, TV still gets millions.
BTCC hasn't generated a TV audience in the millions for decades. These days they average about 150k for the length of the broadcast with peaks of 300k.

Online is the future and where all niche sport will be eventually. TV is dead. I don't know anyone under 25 who watches TV in the traditional sense anymore.
AdrianM is offline  
Quote
Old 5 Jun 2017, 14:25 (Ref:3738765)   #3
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 4,936
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
BTCC hasn't generated a TV audience in the millions for decades. These days they average about 150k for the length of the broadcast with peaks of 300k.

Online is the future and where all niche sport will be eventually. TV is dead. I don't know anyone under 25 who watches TV in the traditional sense anymore.
I've been beating that drum for years mate. The end of TV as we know it is coming. It'll adapt to on demand and streaming. You only need to look at gaming streams getting numbers of 50,000+ to see that. That's how the younger generation are consuming media now.

Granted for the older generations, it isn't as obvious to search for it on YouTube as it is to load up the TV planner and see what's on. That's going against an entire life time of habit. But to the younger generation, that's the natural way of finding content. An event is on? Get on YouTube and Google, see where they can watch it.

My kids literally never watch TV programs from a TV Channel. But they'll get on YouTube and watch live streams of gaming, cartoons (for the younger one), and sport. That's the future, whether we like it or not.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 07:11 (Ref:3738938)   #4
thlbtcc
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 970
thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
BTCC hasn't generated a TV audience in the millions for decades. These days they average about 150k for the length of the broadcast with peaks of 300k.

Online is the future and where all niche sport will be eventually. TV is dead. I don't know anyone under 25 who watches TV in the traditional sense anymore.
The BTCC is watchable online and I said that's where I watch it. I also didn't say the BTCC gets watch by millions. That's still more on TV in the UK than other series streaming for free globally.
thlbtcc is offline  
Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 07:14 (Ref:3738939)   #5
thlbtcc
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 970
thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
That's the future, whether we like it or not.
Yes, we get online is the future it. Don't think anyone was denying that. We keep banging the drum that you can watch the BTCC online.
thlbtcc is offline  
Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 07:41 (Ref:3738945)   #6
AdrianM
Racer
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 115
AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
The BTCC is watchable online and I said that's where I watch it. I also didn't say the BTCC gets watch by millions. That's still more on TV in the UK than other series streaming for free globally.
Well you said that TV audiences are in the millions and we are talking about BTCC. Sky doesn't even get millions for F1 although C4 does. It's not about whether a TV company puts it's normal output directly onto a stream. It's a different way of doing things.

I watch many motorsport streams online some free to users and some I subscribe to. None of them have adverts. One of the reasons I don't have Sky or Virgin. I refuse to pay for a service 99% of which I don't want and then have to watch or avoid adverts on top of that. The little TV I do watch is on time delay so I can skip all the adverts. That's not a good business model.

The point is that it's changing like many other things. Cheque books, high street banking, letters are all things that only exist because of the older generation. TV has to change or die.

Reading the BTCC rules and the enormous number of things the teams and drivers can't do on social media because of ITV is like reading something penned by Ecclestone and way behind the times.
AdrianM is offline  
Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 07:48 (Ref:3738946)   #7
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 4,936
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Yes, we get online is the future it. Don't think anyone was denying that. We keep banging the drum that you can watch the BTCC online.
Nobody said you couldn't watch BTCC online, just that BTCC makes very very good use of traditional TV and it shouldn't drop that. BTCC needs TV and high viewing figures to work because of sponsorship, which ELMS, Creventic etc don't as the business model uses drivers as customers, rather than fans.

You've continually fought against me and even said "I have no idea what your point is!". Well you clearly aren't actually reading what I'm saying, or what I was replying to. S griffin made the excellent point that BTCC is still on free to air TV and doesn't require a ridiculous TV subscription. But he also assumed that only BTCC and F1 are the ones he can watch FTA. All I did was post a bunch of series that he can watch completely for free online, and various ways to access that through a TV (since sitting at a desk or with a laptop isn't to everyones taste). You're the one who keeps coming back for an argument that doesn't exist, asking what my point is, and telling me how poor ELMS viewing figures are. I never said everyone should be using internet right now and that BTCC should drop TV. I was simply posting other series someone could watch as he clearly didn't know he could, and pointing out the obvious - that online viewing is growing exponentially due to younger generations and we should get used to it.

BTCC doesn't really embrace online viewing right now, but it doesn't need to because the channel does it for them right now and it's doing just fine on TV. But you can tell from the TV broadcasts that BTCC is far more in touch with fans that say, F1, or IndyCar, or even NASCAR, and will have no problem switching broadcasting models to streaming and internet based when the time is right. BTCC is probably one of the most adaptable series in the world with how quick it is to get things done and I've no doubt that when the internet becomes the better way to do things for larger shows and sports, BTCC will be the first to make the switch. It's the older generation of fans that need to be on the ball and not ignore online streaming (which a LOT of people on this forum, not necessarily in this thread however, do.)

In summary: BTCC is doing just fine on TV, and ITV lets you watch it online too. There are lots of other series you can watch completely for free too, which is awesome for all motorosport fans. Online viewing will become the norm in our lifetimes, and BTCC will probably be one of the first to adapt because it's shown flexibility in the past.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3738952)   #8
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran
 
VIVA GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
England
Leicestershire
Posts: 3,060
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Just to add a comment to the BTCC on-line trail.
For the past few meetings I've enjoyed watching the BTCC Qualifying on Saturday which as far as I'm aware is only available on-line via the ITVplayer ap, I don't think ITV4 show this on 'actual' TV?
VIVA GT is offline  
__________________
Incognito: An Italian phrase meaning Nice Gearchange!
Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 08:33 (Ref:3738958)   #9
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 4,936
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Just to add a comment to the BTCC on-line trail.
For the past few meetings I've enjoyed watching the BTCC Qualifying on Saturday which as far as I'm aware is only available on-line via the ITVplayer ap, I don't think ITV4 show this on 'actual' TV?
I think you're right. Again, that's ITV doing that which is excellent for the series.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 6 Jun 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3738984)   #10
thlbtcc
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 970
thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Nobody said you couldn't watch BTCC online, just that BTCC makes very very good use of traditional TV and it shouldn't drop that. BTCC needs TV and high viewing figures to work because of sponsorship, which ELMS, Creventic etc don't as the business model uses drivers as customers, rather than fans.

You've continually fought against me and even said "I have no idea what your point is!". Well you clearly aren't actually reading what I'm saying, or what I was replying to. S griffin made the excellent point that BTCC is still on free to air TV and doesn't require a ridiculous TV subscription. But he also assumed that only BTCC and F1 are the ones he can watch FTA. All I did was post a bunch of series that he can watch completely for free online, and various ways to access that through a TV (since sitting at a desk or with a laptop isn't to everyones taste). You're the one who keeps coming back for an argument that doesn't exist, asking what my point is, and telling me how poor ELMS viewing figures are. I never said everyone should be using internet right now and that BTCC should drop TV. I was simply posting other series someone could watch as he clearly didn't know he could, and pointing out the obvious - that online viewing is growing exponentially due to younger generations and we should get used to it.

BTCC doesn't really embrace online viewing right now, but it doesn't need to because the channel does it for them right now and it's doing just fine on TV. But you can tell from the TV broadcasts that BTCC is far more in touch with fans that say, F1, or IndyCar, or even NASCAR, and will have no problem switching broadcasting models to streaming and internet based when the time is right. BTCC is probably one of the most adaptable series in the world with how quick it is to get things done and I've no doubt that when the internet becomes the better way to do things for larger shows and sports, BTCC will be the first to make the switch. It's the older generation of fans that need to be on the ball and not ignore online streaming (which a LOT of people on this forum, not necessarily in this thread however, do.)

In summary: BTCC is doing just fine on TV, and ITV lets you watch it online too. There are lots of other series you can watch completely for free too, which is awesome for all motorosport fans. Online viewing will become the norm in our lifetimes, and BTCC will probably be one of the first to adapt because it's shown flexibility in the past.
Sigh.
thlbtcc is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 00:20 (Ref:3740360)   #11
sceptic
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,791
sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
BTCC doesn't really embrace online viewing right now, but it doesn't need to because the channel does it for them right now and it's doing just fine on TV.
I don't understand how you can say the BTCC doesn't embrace online viewing.

Every race is available to watch live online.
Every race is available to watch on demand online.
Every qualifying session is available to watch live online.
Additional content is shown exclusively online

How is that not embracing online viewing?
sceptic is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 10:59 (Ref:3740454)   #12
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 4,936
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The majority of that is just ITV. I can also watch Celebrity Love Island (I feel dirty typing that) online via ITV4, but I don't think they've fully embraced online viewing. Its just streaming TV for the majority of it, and whilst that's excellent for where BTCC is sitting, that's not going to be enough for the future. That's why MotoGP, WEC, WRC are moving to dedicated online system - because that's how younger generations see accessing content now.

Don't get me wrong, what BTCC is doing through ITV is great for the series. But let's not pretend it's pioneering online viewing. Its just some ITV live with some on demand and alternative channels - which is what sky was doing a decade ago. BTCC is doing great but it's not on the level of other online systems, as it's just an adapted TV service.

I'd like to see the series streamed on the BTCC website, with the entire show watchable on demand. I'd like to see live timing introduced. I'd like to see selectable camera angles (onboard are the usual choice for this). I'd like to see them move away from the dying flash platform, as it'd improve device compatibility. I'd like to see a BTCC app (phones and consoles) which allows streaming and timing to be viewed.

BTCC current coverage is great (usually, it's been a bit rough this year, don't know why), but it currently is an adapted TV setup rather than fully embracing an online system like others do. I understand some will prefer the current setup, and that's just fine, but it isn't as flexible as other series, and technology wise it's limiting itself with ITV video format choice. Feel free to disagree, but simple streaming of ITV 4 is not fully embracing the potential of online viewing IMO.

Edit: their policing of YouTube clips is also quite out dated and something even F1 is now going back on with its new owners. Duke video seem to be heavily involved in the removal of BTCC content from the Internet. This was how most series went about things in the 90s and 00s. BTCC is still catching up in that regard.

Last edited by Akrapovic; 12 Jun 2017 at 11:05.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3740458)   #13
touring fan01
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 954
touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

I'd like to see the series streamed on the BTCC website, with the entire show watchable on demand. I'd like to see live timing introduced.
live timing and live streaming and live circuit commentary etc all available on btcc website; http://www.btcc.net/live/
touring fan01 is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3740463)   #14
850Estate
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Sweden
GBR/SWE
Posts: 626
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone else notice that Qualifying was streamable on mobile on Saturday? That's the sort of step-forward we've been asking for, for years.

Credit to ITV for that. Most welcome.
850Estate is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3740471)   #15
Akrapovic
Veteran
 
Akrapovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Scotland
Posts: 4,936
Akrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameAkrapovic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
live timing and live streaming and live circuit commentary etc all available on btcc website; http://www.btcc.net/live/
Sorry poorly worded by me. I mean introduced on the streaming page. Last time I used it you couldn't bring up streaming on the same page as timing. It was one or the other.

The video format is also going to become a problem in the next couple of years. They only just moved away from Silverlight, a format that was dead before it even began, and moved to Flash, a format which was announced to be being phased out. ITV and btcc should be moving to HTML5 and supporting more devices. A lot of modern streaming boxes simply don't work with the ITV player.

BTCC is online. It just isn't as good as it could be and relies too much on ITV to get it there.
Akrapovic is offline  
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Great Debate - Is Drifting motorsport? gttouring Drifting 260 28 Jan 2013 11:34
Tyres - The Great Debate! skentellytubby Historic Racing Today 86 10 Nov 2010 13:01
The great tyre debate..... Walshy Club Level Single Seaters 27 4 Aug 2007 10:30


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 22:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.