Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 12 Jun 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3740491)   #16
Matt K
Rookie

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When it comes to live streaming on the Net I would love to see free BTCC streams abroad. Because living outside the UK it's hard to watch BTCC live
Old 12 Jun 2017, 23:34 (Ref:3740705)   #17
pimmy
Racer

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Sorry poorly worded by me. I mean introduced on the streaming page. Last time I used it you couldn't bring up streaming on the same page as timing. It was one or the other.
The funny thing is, the ITV streaming page did actually have the timing on it a few years ago. No idea why they stopped doing that.

The BTCC viewing experience is generally poor online and on TV. Look at Supercars down under for example. All of the support races are shown, as are some of their qualifying sessions, and the Supercar practice sessions are broadcast as well. F1 & NASCAR broadcast all of their practice and qualifying sessions, as does TCR International. Even looking at smaller national championships, it's possible to watch all Saturday and Sunday races of the ADAC Motorsport package in Germany and the Thai Super Series, and I'm sure there are many others.

ITV have the capability to show the entire event but they refuse to do so. They have all the cameras ready and set up to show BTCC qualifying on Saturdays (and even then it's not in HD) but we only see the support races if there's the possibility of a title being decided at the final meeting. Even on Sundays, the coverage starts and ends with BTCC. Any support races before the BTCC are either not shown or are shown in the form of hacked up, almost incoherent highlights, and supports after the third BTCC race are treated as if they're not even happening. And before anyone says "But you can watch those on Motorsport UK", those programmes are weeks and sometimes months behind.

The coverage is really poor by modern standards but that's ITV for you. All they care about are adverts and sob stories.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 05:43 (Ref:3740748)   #18
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrmalcolm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
When it comes to live streaming on the Net I would love to see free BTCC streams abroad. Because living outside the UK it's hard to watch BTCC live
We are currently living outside of the UK, and watching the live streaming is our only option. I am glad that the BTCC is one of those sports that has embraced online presence and is available to stream. It's easy to find, and watch.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 06:55 (Ref:3740762)   #19
AdrianM
Rookie

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a massive difference between putting the tv feed online (it's not legal to watch from abroad live is it?) and embracing the opportunities available online though.

Take the Le Mans 24 this weekend. ITV4 will be showing four hours in the morning with the usual directors choice of shots. I will be watching online with multiple onboards available, multiple pit cameras, different sound options etc etc all when I want them so I don't have to suffer the director with yet more lingering shots of wives and girlfriends at the back of the garage.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 06:56 (Ref:3740763)   #20
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
The BTCC viewing experience is generally poor online and on TV. Look at Supercars down under for example. All of the support races are shown, as are some of their qualifying sessions, and the Supercar practice sessions are broadcast as well.
seriously?! in australia more than half the supercars events are not on free to air and their viewing figures dropped through the floor because free to air viewers can only watch short highlights. supercars fans in australia have been up in arms about the lack of free to air broadcasting as they have to pay heavily to watch the coverage you outlined. even the team owners are saying how the coverage has badly affected the series! the team owners took the money from selling the broadcast deal and now regret it. give me free to view itv any day!

http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/t...TOPIC_ID=41391

Last edited by touring fan01; 13 Jun 2017 at 07:02.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 07:26 (Ref:3740772)   #21
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
I think we all must remember that everyone has different objectives here.
We enthusiasts want to watch the racing, as much of the racing and in as high quality as possible and would prefer to do this where we are most comfortable with the smallest cost & inconvenience to ourselves.
The TV companies broadcast the racing to make money (over and above what it costs them to do so), and ITV do this by selling advertising to be shown within the coverage and therefore hopefully seen by the people watching.
The teams are mainly in it for the sport, but competing also costs (a hell of a lot of) money which they get from sponsorship generated a lot by the fact that the racing is shown on free to air, National TV, meaning that the sponsors should get good exposure/value for money (sponsors are there for only one reason).
If super-duper coverage is streamed live on the internet, who is going to pay for it? (If it goes behind a pay wall, the numbers watching will decrease meaning less exposure for the sponsors). If it is available on-demand over the internet and there are no adverts, where does the revenue come from to pay for the coverage?
I know that 'things are different nowadays', but when my interest in motorsport began I had to be content with sparse TV coverage of certain Grand Prix, and later as far as the BTCC was concerned, recorded highlights shown on Grandstand a few weeks after the event and often not at the time advertised meaning that if I did try to record it, I'd end up with hours of horse racing instead of Touring Car Racing!
Old 13 Jun 2017, 08:21 (Ref:3740790)   #22
AdrianM
Rookie

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many levels to it. Blancpain and others stream live with no adverts or pay wall but there is extensive branding all over the circuit which a lot of people are seeing and there is more money coming in from the manufacturers than in BTCC I would say as well.

With the WEC it's behind a pay wall but a very reasonably priced one. If I was a sponsor it wouldn't bother me as I know the audience would be a very targeted one.

Lets not forget that marketing wise they know far more about the online viewer than they do about someone watching on TV.

The actual production costs probably aren't that great as even most club series are recorded these days. It's not like the old days where camera equipment was 6 figures.
Old 13 Jun 2017, 13:00 (Ref:3740861)   #23
Matt K
Rookie

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
We are currently living outside of the UK, and watching the live streaming is our only option. I am glad that the BTCC is one of those sports that has embraced online presence and is available to stream. It's easy to find, and watch.
Honestly I haven't found any reasonable streams for those living outside the UK...
Old 13 Jun 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3740865)   #24
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!
Where does the official ITV 4 stream work then? Does Ireland get it? Does anywhere else get it?
Old 14 Jun 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3741143)   #25
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My original post was just a comment on how the coverage of the BTCC has never been better, especially when you look back to the coverage we had in the 90s.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3741146)   #26
pagey318
Rookie

pagey318 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are trying to watch BTCC outside of the UK...

Download an app called Tunnel Bear...

You can watch ITV player completely not illegally, you could say its an accident really...
Old 14 Jun 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3741193)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Moved from Oulton Park thread.
Old 14 Jun 2017, 13:55 (Ref:3741197)   #28
Greem
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Loughborough
Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!Greem is going for a new world record!
Ta muchly, Peter
Old 14 Jun 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3741226)   #29
pimmy
Racer

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
seriously?! in australia more than half the supercars events are not on free to air and their viewing figures dropped through the floor because free to air viewers can only watch short highlights. supercars fans in australia have been up in arms about the lack of free to air broadcasting as they have to pay heavily to watch the coverage you outlined. even the team owners are saying how the coverage has badly affected the series! the team owners took the money from selling the broadcast deal and now regret it. give me free to view itv any day!

http://www.v8central.com/snitz3403/t...TOPIC_ID=41391
It's still available to watch, regardless of whether it's on pay TV or not. The coverage was similar before the current TV deal wasn't it?
Old 14 Jun 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3741256)   #30
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimmy View Post
It's still available to watch, regardless of whether it's on pay TV or not. The coverage was similar before the current TV deal wasn't it?
no it wasnt. before the current deal all races were same day live on free to view. now the free to view non-live broadcasts are just highlights, sometimes later that night and sometimes the next day depending on the region. but being on pay tv has hugely reduced the number of people watching their races which is very bad for the sport. thats why the team owners want it back on free tv.