Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9 Jun 2017, 01:44 (Ref:3739581)   #16
T-star
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 339
T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridT-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But an abrupt failure can't take 9 years

The topic was the series...not an individual race
T-star is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 02:00 (Ref:3739583)   #17
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
South Kingsville, VIC
Posts: 3,977
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
But an abrupt failure can't take 9 years
To be fair the last few years it was really a one horse racing limping along a while after somebody should have shot it.
Mixer is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 06:57 (Ref:3739615)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran
 
D.R.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location:
Sydeny
Posts: 8,550
D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
To be fair the last few years it was really a one horse racing limping along a while after somebody should have shot it.
Its still going https://www.stracingaustralia.com.au/events
D.R.T. is offline  
__________________
Upon entry into the Bathurst 1000, it should be mandatory to view the compelling "Moffat - Man and the Mountain" film
Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 07:18 (Ref:3739618)   #19
Mixer
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
South Kingsville, VIC
Posts: 3,977
Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Its still going
Quote:
This will be an exciting event 1. Not only will it be the first organised and scheduled Super Tourer race for 16 years but the event will be spectacular.
More alternative facts

Mixer is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3739623)   #20
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,526
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They ran with Power Tour in 2002, and then with the Touring Car Challange for a few seasons a couple of years later.

I think there's only like 4 cars capable of turning a wheel at the moment. What else is still in the country have been mothballed for a long time.
Umai Naa is offline  
Quote
Old 9 Jun 2017, 10:31 (Ref:3739655)   #21
racer69
Veteran
 
racer69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Australia
Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,942
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Then super tourers killed the bathurst 1000 in just two years. that's a pretty massive failure I would think, with the short time frame i would even call that an abrupt failure
Would they have killed it in two years if the other V8 1000 wasn't started and they were the only 1000 at the track in 1997 and 1998?

Do you blame Super Touring for killing Amaroo Park then as well? They raced there in 1996 and 1997, and the track closed in 1998....

Super Touring ran in Australia for 9 years, longer than the same regs lasted in Germany, Italy, Japan, South Africa, Spain etc... only the BTCC lasted longer. A pretty good effort by the Australian Super Touring fraternity I would think.

It wasn't as big and didn't overthrow the ATCC or the V8 formula, but that doesn't make it a failure, it just ran it's course, like the formula everywhere else in the world.

It was good to have more National level race meetings to go to though. In the mid-90s you could attend the ATCC/V8 meetings, Super Touring Championship meetings, SuperTruck Nationals, NASCAR/AUSCAR meetings, even the likes of Sports Sedans occasionally headlined their own championship events. Nowadays our choices are just Supercars events or the Shannons Nationals.
racer69 is offline  
__________________
"The Great Race"
22 November 1960 - 21 July 1999
Quote
Old 10 Jun 2017, 05:04 (Ref:3739858)   #22
one five five
Veteran
 
one five five's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,107
one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
We tried the abovementioned Super Touring here, and it didn't work. Even the 3 factory teams were scraping through, recycling parts, stretching the life out of everything. Not to mention that at the time, the new car market was dominated by Commodore and Falcon. The only people that followed it were those who were BTCC fans, and disillusioned Group A followers.
Here's an interesting story on the lie of the land with regards to V8s vs 2-Litres heading in to 1993

Tim Schenken's views are very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EXCqi28fMU
one five five is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 03:44 (Ref:3740397)   #23
peckstar
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Cayman Islands
Posts: 14,525
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
Would they have killed it in two years if the other V8 1000 wasn't started and they were the only 1000 at the track in 1997 and 1998?
In the context of the base assumption (does not recognise that the supercars bathurst 1000 as a continuation of the traditional (ST 1000)Bathurst 1000)

Then the line of thinking you mentioned is irrelevant

ST1000 had the tradition , the weekend, the media , the sponsor, the drivers, the promoter. they were against a start up event. sSpertourers killed it in 2 years (well technically 364 days). Abrupt failure. there is no other description with that base assumption.

Of course if you change the base assumption then its not true
peckstar is offline  
__________________
Scott and Chaz 1-2 in 2017

well that's my hope
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 05:13 (Ref:3740404)   #24
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,526
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Here's an interesting story on the lie of the land with regards to V8s vs 2-Litres heading in to 1993

Tim Schenken's views are very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EXCqi28fMU
How wrong he was.
Umai Naa is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 06:06 (Ref:3740412)   #25
velly4
Racer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Australia
Posts: 271
velly4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
In the context of the base assumption (does not recognise that the supercars bathurst 1000 as a continuation of the traditional (ST 1000)Bathurst 1000)

Then the line of thinking you mentioned is irrelevant

ST1000 had the tradition , the weekend, the media , the sponsor, the drivers, the promoter. they were against a start up event. sSpertourers killed it in 2 years (well technically 364 days). Abrupt failure. there is no other description with that base assumption.

Of course if you change the base assumption then its not true
Way to distort the facts to suit your argument....
velly4 is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 06:43 (Ref:3740415)   #26
Umai Naa
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,526
Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yawn...

The facts are that ST was gifted the race, and since interest in ST was already waning globally, it was never going to last. ST itself, didn't kill the race.

ARDC/Ch7 couldn't meet in the middle with AVESCO, so handballed the whole show over to a catagory that was already struggling to keep it's head above water. TOCA both here, and in the UK should be commended for putting on the show that they did on those two weekends, given the many elements working against them.
Umai Naa is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 08:27 (Ref:3740430)   #27
peckstar
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Cayman Islands
Posts: 14,525
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by velly4 View Post
Way to distort the facts to suit your argument....
which fact was wrong or distorted? maybe the drivers, i can accept i took some licence there. Still Brock was at both and a number of other drivers.

But the rest are not distortions. they are truths they are constantly put on here by those that do not recognise that the Supercars Bathurst 1000 as a continuation of the traditional Bathurst 1000

2 years, just one year shorter that the abrupt ending to the super touring world cup
peckstar is offline  
__________________
Scott and Chaz 1-2 in 2017

well that's my hope
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3740437)   #28
peckstar
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Cayman Islands
Posts: 14,525
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Yawn...

The facts are that ST was gifted the race, and since interest in ST was already waning globally, it was never going to last. ST itself, didn't kill the race.

ARDC/Ch7 couldn't meet in the middle with AVESCO, so handballed the whole show over to a catagory that was already struggling to keep it's head above water. TOCA both here, and in the UK should be commended for putting on the show that they did on those two weekends, given the many elements working against them.
so you are saying super touring was waning globally in 1998 but you also said in a earlier post that it continued in australia for 5 more years. Sorry im confused, you use 2002 to show it was not an abrupt failure, but then you tell us it was waning in 1998 (and considering it started in 1995) then it was probably an abrupt failure, just flogged to absolute death in australia.

Im thinking you started with a yawn because even you dont believe what you are saying
peckstar is offline  
__________________
Scott and Chaz 1-2 in 2017

well that's my hope
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 09:37 (Ref:3740451)   #29
T-star
Racer
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 339
T-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridT-star should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just because a series lasted a few years longer than the last Bathurst event doesn't mean it wasn't waning before that.
You know that. You aren't stupid.

A series can't be an abrupt failure if it lasted many seasons. If so then call F4 an abrupt failure now. Do it for Superutes because they've been delayed etc.

I'm positive you aren't stupid but you keep repeating things that would make someone believe otherwise.

You just want to argue for the sake of arguing.

This is the reason the Conrod forum died. There was a poster on there that argued stupid things until everyone left. Same thing happening here.

I'll pray for you and the forum but I don't like your posts because I feel all you are trying to achieve is an argument.
T-star is offline  
Quote
Old 12 Jun 2017, 09:55 (Ref:3740453)   #30
peckstar
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2004
Cayman Islands
Posts: 14,525
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
Just because a series lasted a few years longer than the last Bathurst event doesn't mean it wasn't waning before that.
You know that. You aren't stupid.


Im agreeing with you there, But a poster made one comment as showing 2002 as evidence of strength and then come back a few posters latter and used its waning 5 years earlier as an excuse. that contradicts. All i did was point that out.
peckstar is offline  
__________________
Scott and Chaz 1-2 in 2017

well that's my hope
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gt3 Rs & Gt3 R Omega-Red Sportscar & GT Racing 18 27 Nov 2003 17:55
SuperTouring Vs New BTCC ADnet WTCC & European Touring Car Series 13 5 Jun 2003 08:14
SuperTouring web site supertouring Cool Sites 10 15 May 2003 15:42
BMW 3 series (Supertouring) alesi95 Motorsport History 1 27 Jun 2002 12:24


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 18:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.