Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jul 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3751256)   #91
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
But that's the whole point, Silverstone fills the grandstands for the GP but the BRDC is still losing money.
The problem is the sanction fee. That's why there is no German GP and there hasn't been a French GP since 2008. Monza nearly lost the GP for the same reason. Now with Bernie gone, hopefully Liberty will see some sense. After all they have said they want the traditional European GPs to be at the heart of F1.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 21:20 (Ref:3751286)   #92
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBSchneiderFan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed, but greater promotion of the event is not what's lacking, though obviously it doesn't hurt.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 02:54 (Ref:3751327)   #93
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!Armco Bender is going for a new lap record!
Ee bah gum...tis a longer running saga than Coronation St.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 06:11 (Ref:3751354)   #94
Alan52
Veteran

Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone is I think the only race that doesn't get subsidised by some level of government.Without such a subsidy it is not possible to make a F1 race viable under current arrangements.It was this that caused the demise of Indianapolis.If Liberty make special arrangements for Silverstone 21 race organisers will come knocking at their door probably all together.
I hope Silverstone stays but it is not an easy problem.On Sky coverage on Friday someone said Liberty would take over the race but they needed the venue for 3 weeks for free for set up and pull down.BRDC said no so there goes one option.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3751370)   #95
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well we've got the French and German GPs returning next season, so there's no doubt we're getting a shift back to the old countries that have been around a long time, so I think the British GP will be here to stay
Old 15 Jul 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3751393)   #96
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
liberty were right to point out how obvious it was of silverstone to activate the bail clause in the week before the gp, but did it really create a tide of sensationalist panic? or was it reported in such a way that everyone sees that it's tactical?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Ee bah gum...tis a longer running saga than Coronation St.
ot, but ee bah gum is the wrong side of the penines for coronation street. bloody aussies
Old 15 Jul 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3751399)   #97
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
ot, but ee bah gum is the wrong side of the penines for coronation street. bloody aussies
And sheep botherers are on the other side of the ditch.

Either us or the Kiwis have to do something about that flag, confuses people!
Old 15 Jul 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3751403)   #98
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yes, that was kind of the point
Old 15 Jul 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3751433)   #99
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLancsbreaker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Silverstone is I think the only race that doesn't get subsidised by some level of government.Without such a subsidy it is not possible to make a F1 race viable under current arrangements.It was this that caused the demise of Indianapolis.If Liberty make special arrangements for Silverstone 21 race organisers will come knocking at their door probably all together.
I hope Silverstone stays but it is not an easy problem.On Sky coverage on Friday someone said Liberty would take over the race but they needed the venue for 3 weeks for free for set up and pull down.BRDC said no so there goes one option.
Re the section I've stressed - doesn't Monaco have a "no-sanction fee" deal?

I think it would be politically very difficult for a UK Government to introduce a subsidy which would effectively be paying Liberty an unjustified chunk of money.......
Old 15 Jul 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3751447)   #100
F1Guy
Racer

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Guy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Re the section I've stressed - doesn't Monaco have a "no-sanction fee" deal?
That's not true. Monaco GP does pay a race hosting fee. That fee however.. is very low. The lowest fee paid by any of the host GP's.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 14:32 (Ref:3751458)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liberty said during the London event that there will be a British GP on the calendar after 2019, so there's no doubt they have their best interests lie, we'll just see if it's at Silverstone or London
Old 15 Jul 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3751515)   #102
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the podium!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the podium!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the podium!ScotsBrutesFan has a real shot at the podium!
The thing to remember is that is that it's not a renegotiation. THe old contract will end after the 2019 event.

The BRDC can now take a clean sheet approach to what they need to to do, and can offer in terms of negotiations for a new contract.

There was a comment about letting the dust settle and not even starting the process of negotiations until next year. I hope there is something innovative that can be brought to the table that can result in a contract that's workable for both parties.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 (Ref:3752708)   #103
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The thing to remember is that is that it's not a renegotiation. THe old contract will end after the 2019 event.

The BRDC can now take a clean sheet approach to what they need to to do, and can offer in terms of negotiations for a new contract.

There was a comment about letting the dust settle and not even starting the process of negotiations until next year. I hope there is something innovative that can be brought to the table that can result in a contract that's workable for both parties.
Silverstone puts Liberty in a bit of a dilemma, for what I think are the following reasons...

It is clearly the only circuit capable of hosting an F1 GP in the UK, there is no appetite from MSV or Donington to do this.

By triggering the break clause to stimulate a re-negotiation, this will have pricked up the ears of every other circuit on the calendar that believes it is paying too much or hosting the race is unsustainable.

Silverstone can point to the fact that even with a sell out event and with ticket prices on the limit of what spectators will pay, the race is still costing them around 5m in losses - and growing with the escalator.

So, you are Liberty - what do you do?

Cut the hosting fee and set a dangerous precedent for others?

Keep the fee the same and give back some of the rights at the GP for Silverstone to sell and keep the income - this is risky as it assumes that Silverstone has the capability or can hire in the capability to sell around 6m of rights per annum (including costs of delivery/fees, etc) and increasing this each year to keep in line with the race fee escalator.

Call their bluff and decide on a clean break with the BRDC and Silverstone and go for London - maybe the Docklands idea - which will arguably get a much better reception post Brexit when the UK wants to show the world it is open for business. This also meets Liberty's own brief of focusing on destination cities where they can engage the whole city in events around the GP, get fans to and from the event with integrated public transport and host the event where the people already are.

As for Silverstone, assuming the GP moves to London, they lose the gloss of the GP but also the burden of it and can just revert to being a circuit owner/operator and they should develop other events owned and created by Silverstone, no doubt falling back on their heritage via the new heritage centre they are developing.
Old Yesterday, 11:13 (Ref:3752761)   #104
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike Harte should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This week from Carey, who appears, certainly from these comments, to have the same blinkers on, possibly borrowed from Mr E:

Quote:
Indeed, talking to The Times, Carey admits that he is puzzled by the organisers claims of financial hardship under the current deal.

"I don't understand some of their claims about their economics," he said, "particularly when I look at our business in other places. The people who run a good race seem to have a different picture than they are painting.

"But I don't have visibility to how they account, how they assign costs," he admitted. "I know we are not treating them unfairly. We are treating them consistently with others. We value Silverstone and we have three years to reach an agreement.

"Our preference is for Silverstone but the British Grand Prix certainly does not have to be here," he warned. "We have had expressions of interest from other places in the UK, but I'm not trying to play one against the other."

From: https://www.pitpass.com/59693/BRDC-r...Media-proposal

Not trying to play one place against another? Certainly sounds like it.

The only countries that seem content to carry on with their GPs seem to be those run by despots who have no compunction about wasting their country's wealth on vanity projects - Monaco excepted. The UK is almost alone in having no state assistance, and I cannot see that changing in the foreseeable future, either. And certainly not whilst public sector employees pay is being severely curtailed.

And as an American, maybe he should look to his own country. COA has it's own financial problems, and is only kept afloat, or so I believe, by receiving State assistance. And why is there no New Jersey race? Because they couldn't get State aid to build the circuit, and/or a State financial guarantee to underwrite the contract.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 (Ref:3752767)   #105
old man
Subscriber
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with everything you say Moneyseeker, an F1 race meeting has to be a greater event than just the race if it is to attract enough spectators. In this day and age one sees more of the race on TV than at the circuit where only a few hundred yards are ever in view. For me F! Is interesting rather than exciting, I only attend the British and even then watch mainly on a TV screen.
As a circuit Silverstone is fantastic, fast, complex, a real test of car and driver but for viewing not a patch on Brands Indie!
So I fear we shall lose the spectacle of those fast sweeps taken by an F1 car, lose the essence of F1 that is really pricing itself out of market.. A race round the docklands can never be the same but would probably win on accessibility