Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jun 2007, 12:36 (Ref:1946275)   #31
Al Weyman
Veteran
 
Al Weyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
England
South of Watford (just)
Posts: 14,698
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
The 'earlier car' you refer to was an ex-MHDT 1984 VK Group C that Cleland ran in ThunderSaloons. That car is now back in Australia.
Are you sure that was the same car? What Cleland ran was a later model and it had a SB Chevy fitted, I thought it was a special sancioned and paid for by Vauxhall. The one Peter Barnes had was the same shape as that Rallycross car in the picture.
Al Weyman is offline  
__________________
You can't polish a turd but you sure can sprinkle it with glitter!
Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1946277)   #32
Al Weyman
Veteran
 
Al Weyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
England
South of Watford (just)
Posts: 14,698
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
The Commodore is longer and wider than the Omega it was based on, and the floorpan was recycled from the earlier generation (78-87).
Drat! Another good idea down the pan. An Omega over here is as cheap as chips, you could buy a sound one for a couple of hundred quid, now if all you had to do was drop a nice SB Chevy motor in..........
Al Weyman is offline  
__________________
You can't polish a turd but you sure can sprinkle it with glitter!
Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:30 (Ref:1946643)   #33
Eddy V
Veteran
 
Eddy V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Belgium
Belgium & UK
Posts: 2,617
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
ALL the Holdens came from Down Under.... originally... *
Doh!
Eddy V is offline  
__________________
The older I get, the better I used to be !
Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1946644)   #34
KA
Veteran
 
KA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,274
KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Are you sure that was the same car? What Cleland ran was a later model and it had a SB Chevy fitted, I thought it was a special sancioned and paid for by Vauxhall. The one Peter Barnes had was the same shape as that Rallycross car in the picture.
Think we might be getting at crossed purposes here- Cleland drove two cars in Thundersaloons.

If I've not got my wires crossed, Camaroz is talking about the Senator, which was an ex-Brock HDT Group C VK Commodore brought over to the UK around 1985 (as I remember, when the Thundersaloon programme was announced in the press, it was still in Marlboro HDT colours) .

After GM Dealersport sold this on in 1987 or so (think to Peter Stevens?), it was replaced by the Carlton, which was the car built by Dave Cook's outfit.

Just a thought, if Peter Barnes' car was the same shape as the Rallycross VL in the pics on the last page, by any chance could the Barnes car be the ex-Mike O'Brien BTCC Commodore...?
KA is offline  
Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:34 (Ref:1946649)   #35
KA
Veteran
 
KA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,274
KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V
Serge Power did not build a Holden or any other car for that matter, bar the very very odd one, as he was an engine builder. And a very good one for that matter.

The Holdens were race ready when they bought them. None of the Holdens came from down under.
Interesting- so if they weren't built by Serge Power themselves, or imported by them from Australia, we're talking about cars which were already in Europe by late 86/early 87.

We know the Grice car went to Mike O'Brien, so we're maybe looking at either two of the cars built for the aborted TWR WTCC programme, or possibly the cars HDT used in their 1986 ETCC programme, updated to VL-spec. Does anyone know if these stayed in Europe, or whether they went back to Australia?
KA is offline  
Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1946657)   #36
Al Weyman
Veteran
 
Al Weyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
England
South of Watford (just)
Posts: 14,698
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
He told me it was an ex-Brock car. I do remember the other Holden beore the Vauxhall now you mention it. I had a good look at Peter's car, it was nothing too outragous, Muncie 4 speed I think. I do remember it had a very thick fabricated adjustable front anti-roll bar and aluminium front uprights or hubs both of which contravene the regs but we let it run for better or worse after a consultation with the other guys. Oh it was fitted with 16inch rims, I know that because I bought the Falken tyres off of it for my IROC. It was fitted with the Holden motor not a chevy
Al Weyman is offline  
__________________
You can't polish a turd but you sure can sprinkle it with glitter!
Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1946664)   #37
KA
Veteran
 
KA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,274
KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
He told me it was an ex-Brock car. I do remember the other Holden beore the Vauxhall now you mention it. I had a good look at Peter's car, it was nothing too outragous, Muncie 4 speed I think. I do remember it had a very thick fabricated adjustable front anti-roll bar and aluminium front uprights or hubs both of which contravene the regs but we let it run for better or worse after a consultation with the other guys. Oh it was fitted with 16inch rims, I know that because I bought the Falken tyres off of it for my IROC. It was fitted with the Holden motor not a chevy
Interesting.... so apart from the 'Senator' Thundersaloon, we could have a second ex-Brock Commodore raced in the UK at some point-again does this lead us back to one of the 86 ETCC cars....?

I'd love to see a pic of the Peter Barnes car if anyone could find one....
KA is offline  
Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 20:00 (Ref:1946672)   #38
KA
Veteran
 
KA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 5,274
KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
In the early part of 1987 Channel 7 in Australia ran a few stories detailing what was happening in the lead up to the opening WTCC round (the first two ATCC rounds occurred before the WTCC started, and this was when all the controversy over Bernie was erupting).

Included in a story shown during the first ATCC round at Calder (March 1), Richard Hay (who was down here to commentate on the first two ATCC rounds for Channel 7) did a story on what was happening, amongst others who were entering, and it includes an interview with Win Percy, saying that TWR hadn't told him the plans yet, but Hay says that a pair of TWR Commodore's were planned for Walkinshaw/Percy & Jeff Allam/Denny Hulme. Included in this part of the story is a brief piece of footage of the TWR workshop, with a bunch of Commodore's (both VKs & VLs, 4 or 5 in total) visible, thats where i got the 'brace' from.
That's really interesting, as I don't think I remember there eing much coverage of Walkinshaw's Holden WTCC plans over here- the only picture I think I ever saw was a blurry testing shot of a plain white VK (I think...) with a couple of TWR stickers.

What puzzles me though is the mention of VKs- if they were building new cars from Holden Motorsport shells in the winter of 86/7, then why bother to build VKs and not go straight to VLs....

The only thing I can think of is that a couple of VKs were bought in from outside TWR for initial testing and assessment prior to building the actual race cars, or for some reason when the first test car was built it was easier to build it as a VK- maybe in late 86, before the VL was homologated?
KA is offline  
Quote
Old 25 Jun 2007, 21:47 (Ref:1946792)   #39
Camaroz
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location:
Under the bonnet Son!
Posts: 915
Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
ALL the Holdens came from Down Under.... originally... *
The VK (AVK005309A) that ran in the French Touring Car Championships driven by Guy Frequelin in 1986 was built in France. The components came from Australia, most from the HDT. This car is now in Australia!
Camaroz is offline  
__________________
Opinion is 'dime-a-dozen'. Guidance is 'priceless'.
Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 00:17 (Ref:1946867)   #40
racerVK
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Australia
gold coast Qld
Posts: 21
racerVK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
The VK (AVK005309A) that ran in the French Touring Car Championships driven by Guy Frequelin in 1986 was built in France. The components came from Australia, most from the HDT. This car is now in Australia!
Who owns this car now . Where does it reside . What other history do you know on it
racerVK is offline  
Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 02:13 (Ref:1946891)   #41
Camaroz
Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location:
Under the bonnet Son!
Posts: 915
Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerVK
Who owns this car now . Where does it reside . What other history do you know on it
Don't know.
Victoria
That's it!
Camaroz is offline  
__________________
Opinion is 'dime-a-dozen'. Guidance is 'priceless'.
Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 02:52 (Ref:1946901)   #42
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club
 
GTRMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Australia
Sell me this pen....
Posts: 42,281
GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!GTRMagic is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
What puzzles me though is the mention of VKs- if they were building new cars from Holden Motorsport shells in the winter of 86/7, then why bother to build VKs and not go straight to VLs....

The only thing I can think of is that a couple of VKs were bought in from outside TWR for initial testing and assessment prior to building the actual race cars, or for some reason when the first test car was built it was easier to build it as a VK- maybe in late 86, before the VL was homologated?
TWR allegedly tested a Brock/Carurettor/VL and found that its aerokit generated lift instead of downforce, and was wonky to drive because of that...

If there were VK's in the TWR garage, they would likely have come from Roadways, Mr Small's equipe. I will ask next time I see him...
GTRMagic is offline  
__________________
C.D. Bales (Roxanne): "Are we having fun yet?"
Harvey Specter: Anyone can do my job, but no one can be me.
Anyone can be a lost Picasso....
Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 02:57 (Ref:1946902)   #43
Adrian B
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 46
Adrian B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
Don't know.
Victoria
That's it!
The French VK is now in NSW. It ran badged as a Opel Senator in the French series in 86.
Adrian B is offline  
Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:12 (Ref:1947017)   #44
racer69
Veteran
 
racer69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Australia
Sydney, Australia
Posts: 9,956
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Interesting- so if they weren't built by Serge Power themselves, or imported by them from Australia, we're talking about cars which were already in Europe by late 86/early 87.

We know the Grice car went to Mike O'Brien, so we're maybe looking at either two of the cars built for the aborted TWR WTCC programme, or possibly the cars HDT used in their 1986 ETCC programme, updated to VL-spec. Does anyone know if these stayed in Europe, or whether they went back to Australia?
The Serge Power cars might have come from TWR, but how early in the season did they get their cars, and at what point did TWR decide to not bother any further with the WTCC (remembering they rocked up at round 4 at the Nurburgring).

Did TWR keep any cars for testing and development for the '88 spec car? (It's been mentioned before that Roadways supplied a car for this as well to TWR)
racer69 is offline  
__________________
"The Great Race"
22 November 1960 - 21 July 1999
Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1947021)   #45
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran
 
chunterer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location:
Down the end of my road
Posts: 12,987
chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
Just a thought, if Peter Barnes' car was the same shape as the Rallycross VL in the pics on the last page, by any chance could the Barnes car be the ex-Mike O'Brien BTCC Commodore...?
Don't think it was the ex Grice Docking-O Brien car but i'm sure the Barnes car is in the background of a shot that sarnie posted about Modprods at Mallory in a Capri thread some time in last couple of years?
chunterer is offline  
__________________
'Rait then Bill, back to the big bad world of bent bog rolls.'
Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Tags
alan docking racing, btcc, etcc, group a, holden commodore, mike o brien



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VZ Commodores for 2007 B!tchie Renault Australasian Touring Cars. 32 12 Feb 2007 03:13
AU Falcons and VX Commodores in the Fujitsu Series Razor Australasian Touring Cars. 6 19 Dec 2006 21:37
What is you favourite Group 4 (pre Group B) 1970's Rallycar and why? Robin Plummer Rallying & Rallycross 13 17 Feb 2003 20:37
Banned from driving VY Commodores Amaroo Park Road Car Forum 20 7 Nov 2002 08:26


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 13:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Original Website Copyright © 1998-2003 Craig Antil. All Rights Reserved.
Ten-Tenths Motorsport Forums Copyright © 2004-2016 Royalridge Computing. All Rights Reserved.