Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 27 Oct 1999, 04:34 (Ref:10352)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today Linda and I got to race in Grand Prix cars.

We went to a place called "Speed Zone" which is in City of Industry, California, where they have 4 tracks and advertise "the closest thing to professional racing ever offered to the public - four classes of high powered racing." This includes drag racing, Formula One racing, Slick-tired racers and Ferrari F-50s. We raced in the Grand Prix cars, which handle like Minardis on really a really bad day - you could not slide these cars if you wanted to, and the steering wheels were not exactly sensitive! But the course was challenging and had various sorts of corners, and the cars went round well. I did four laps and averaged about 73 seconds, which was midpack and my lap times had dropped significantly by the time I ran out of laps. Linda lapped about the same average over 2 laps. I was in a Prost and she was in a Ferrari. And a good time was had by all.
Old 27 Oct 1999, 08:34 (Ref:10353)   #2
Arrowax6
Rookie

Arrowax6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sounds heaps of fun. Wish I lived in the USA to give it a try. I was just wondering how much did this cost?
Old 27 Oct 1999, 14:26 (Ref:10354)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First lap is $3.50 and each subsequent lap is $1.50 plus $1 for license registration. You need to have a valid drivers license to drive. Must be over 18 yrs old.
Old 27 Oct 1999, 15:22 (Ref:10355)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
welcome to the racers forum Liz

sounds like you had a heap of fun.

cheap to by the sounds of it but what kind of speeds are involved?
Old 27 Oct 1999, 16:55 (Ref:10356)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Liz,

How come they believed your age?
Old 27 Oct 1999, 17:41 (Ref:10357)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Peter Mallett you are a disrespectful brat.

Of course they believe everything I say, just like the rest of you.
Old 27 Oct 1999, 19:00 (Ref:10358)   #7
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, that sounds really cheap.
I wish we had something like that over here.
I could spend 100 dollars and do about 64 laps in a Formula One car.
He, that's more laps than Jacques did this season, I think.

Gerard.
Old 27 Oct 1999, 20:19 (Ref:10359)   #8
Ken
Rookie

Ken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad you are having a good time while away .
Old 1 Nov 1999, 16:21 (Ref:10360)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Ken, I'd be emailing you but apparently I wrote your address down wrong! Check your hotmail. I think I remembered that one.

Apparently a lot of guys come over on their lunch hours to that track and pound out laps. The others that were there were much more experienced than we were. It is a scary experience for the first lap because I kept thinking I was going to go into the dirt; there is a visible drop of about an inch between the piste and the grass. But when I started breathing I could do better.
Old 2 Nov 1999, 02:44 (Ref:10361)   #10
Ken
Rookie

Ken should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz, you can reach me at my regular Email when you get home. I will give you my new Email then

[This message has been edited by Ken (edited 02 November 1999).]
Old 6 Jan 2000, 01:16 (Ref:10362)   #11
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How dare you say a Minardi handles badly....

I'll try to forget that comment and keep telling myself you meant to say 'an Arrows'.....

Old 16 Jan 2000, 19:56 (Ref:10363)   #12
Liz
Veteran

My dad has since pointed out to me that I could hardly expect power steering on a Grand Prix car ... so I am sure it handled as well as, well, a Prost ... and I never hit Jean Alesi even once.
Old 16 Jan 2000, 20:15 (Ref:10364)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Errrr Liz,

All GP cars have power steering. They just don't have a great big lump hanging over the front wheels!!!
Old 20 Jan 2000, 02:25 (Ref:10365)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Well Fangio didn't have power steering. And if it's good enough for Fangio, it's good enough for me.
Old 21 Jan 2000, 17:03 (Ref:10366)   #15
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Liz, I've been there before, it's pretty cool. Right off the 60. It's on the way back from a Kart track I go. I got down to high 38s. It was the fastest of the day so they gave me a $10 pass. The record is something like 34 second...Honestly, I don't think I'd get to 37s. Maybe some cars are much faster then others, but taking off 4 seconds off my time would take a lot time & money...I guess some people go everyday. The cars have way too much grip, they hop if you try to slide them, I figure its the safest way, so people don't spin or hit walls. They got mad at me because I used all the apex curbings.
There was this other place called slick track that was fun. You raced these little winston cup cars around an oval with 15-20 other guys. They always ended up throwing me & my friend out for crashing into each other to much. 1 time I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes & could hardly see. It's great to be young & stupid!