Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 4 Jun 2003, 19:38 (Ref:620994)   #26
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racingdick
didn't alonso get credited with 3rd when he crashed at brazil and partly cause a red flag...
I think this was discussed at the time and IIRC the F1 reg's differ in this respect and allowed Alonso to retain the result.

DSM - I see what you're saying and follow the logic but that isn't was the Blue Book says and unless individual championships have their own regulation that applies to the situation then the Blue Book will apply and it's only requirement is that the car is under it's own power at the time of the red (IIRC F3 has a different regulation for this?)
Old 4 Jun 2003, 19:38 (Ref:620995)   #27
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he certainly did. In fact he got away with ignoring the yellow flags too. Then again, the Brazilian Grand Prix - they didn't even know who won until the week after.
Old 4 Jun 2003, 22:37 (Ref:621219)   #28
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Blue Boook states that cars should be under their own power when crossing the line, however the position may be awarded and it may not, it is at the discretion of the Clerk. Remember the TVR fire at Donington a couple of years back? That brought out the red flag, and was leading the race at the time. He won on countback. As Jamo so correctly points out, consistency is everything, and sadly is sometimes lacking.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 02:40 (Ref:621350)   #29
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In Australia in 1992 in the biggest race of the year, a car was leading after 75% distance and he crashed heavily causing serious damage to the car. It was obvious that the car was not going to finish, but the driver limped around the circuit and despite the gesticulations of the yellow flag waving marshalls imploring him to slow down he kept the boot in and continued accelerating around the bend into a pile up that had happened a minute or two earlier. The resulting carnage brought out the red flag and our hero was declared the winner of the event.

Not surprisingly, second place was mortified and the crowd was very unimpressed and ugly scenes followed at the podium presentation. Amazingly, this rule has not been changed, or even reviewed since.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:01 (Ref:621618)   #30
SuperDavros
Rookie

SuperDavros should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piglet, I've tried to find out if he was classed as the winner, but can't find any results.

I believe it is the Scottish Mini Cooper Challenge, as opposed to the English equivalent.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 11:36 (Ref:621660)   #31
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was in today's autosport and it seems he didn't get the win, from memory it was given to Mike Cohen (surname might be wrong but similar, can't be bothered to go and check). Autosport was suggesting that there may have been some tactical parking of his car!!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:06 (Ref:621751)   #32
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Connen
Old 5 Jun 2003, 13:56 (Ref:621829)   #33
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by DSM
Connen
Close!!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 14:13 (Ref:621857)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That, in my humble opinion, sounds like a very clever tactical move.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 15:24 (Ref:621939)   #35
terje
Rookie

United Kingdom
In two-part foam
terje should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
That, in my humble opinion, sounds like a very clever tactical move.
At last someone that agrees with me!
Old 5 Jun 2003, 16:25 (Ref:621999)   #36
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I'm sorry but I can't agree with that. If you deliberately attempt to cause a race to be terminated because you are unable to finish, that's cheating.

You get the win not because you're the best driver. Not because you have the best car. But because you're the best at creating a danger to yourself and other drivers to the extent that the race has to be stopped.

Tactics? Yes I guess so. But it's still cheating and I can't understand how anyone could take pride in a "win" based on that.

You could just as easily say that it would be clever tactics to run every other driver off the circuit. After all, if they can't race, then you win right? Or how about going around giving all the other drivers free chocolate which turns out to be ex-lax? That's a good tactic - reduces the field down to almost nothing.

Is there anything admirable about it though? No. Is it winning? No. It's cheating.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 5 Jun 2003 at 16:27.
Old 5 Jun 2003, 17:03 (Ref:622032)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
I'm sorry but I can't agree with that. If you deliberately attempt to cause a race to be terminated because you are unable to finish, that's cheating.
I couldn't agree more.

It also reduces the amount of track time for other's who have paid. It is down right disgraceful and I'm sure the other competitors would make there feelings clear.
Old 6 Jun 2003, 06:50 (Ref:622536)   #38
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can I just interject by saying...

I HATE THE BMW 'MINI'

As you were...
Old 6 Jun 2003, 16:40 (Ref:623022)   #39
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin

Is there anything admirable about it though? No. Is it winning? No. It's cheating.
Right with you here EPW, this is right up there with taking performance enhancing drugs. As far as I'm concerned when "Winning at all costs" is the accepted norm then any "Sport" is dead.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 16:07 (Ref:624680)   #40
Road Warrior
Rookie

Road Warrior should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
most dives in football are contentious anyway.....usually there is some grounds for the dive unless you're in a really dodgy team or league. And the point of tricks like shirt pulling, backing into opponents etc are all part of a very physical game, where the oppsoing team is doing th same back to you without blatantly breaking the rules of the game..
A blatant decision (taking several moments to make, not a split second) to cheat like you've mentioned above seems far too berefit of that kind of reason.

I think theres a differnce