Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Oct 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1434971)   #1
fantasytoca
Racer

fantasytoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Katherine Legge to test for Minardi

See http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15806.html

Given Katherines launch into orbit during an F3 race at Rockingham and Red Bulls takeover of Minardi could this put a whole new meaning into "Red Bull gives you wings"
Old 16 Oct 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1434973)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

Good bit of publicity, but she needs to beat something more credible than a very poor Atlantics field before getting an F1 drive
Old 16 Oct 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1434985)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My excitement over this is literally unnacountable.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1435084)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a shame her last name isn't pronounced 'leggy' as she'd be even more marketable if it was. She's clearly quite good, but Atlantics is in a poor phase this year and she needs to learn a lot mroe vefore she'd be a worthy addition to the F1 grid.
Old 16 Oct 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1435418)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
she is the best gal out therei reckon
and better than a lot- so willit be a test at Squadra TuaroRosso? (the 2nd 'redbull team)
Old 16 Oct 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1435422)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'am suprised I couldn't see this comming.....
Old 16 Oct 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1435438)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I foresee her proving herself in ChampCar first.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1437728)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Katherine Legge to test for Minardi

Katherine Legge is going to test for Minardi later this week. She will be the first female to test an F1 car in over 10 years. More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4355742.stm
Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1437839)   #9
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Katherine Legge is going to test for Minardi later this week. She will be the first female to test an F1 car in over 10 years. More at http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4355742.stm
Didn't American Sarah Fisher drive a McLaren at Indy in 2002?
Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:33 (Ref:1437840)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that might have been the McLaren 2 seater that Sarah Fisher drove ???
Old 19 Oct 2005, 11:39 (Ref:1437844)   #11
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe, can't remember. Has Katherine Legge beaten anyone of note, my main memories of her were from the dreadful Formula Woman soap opera and a flying visit to Rockingham for British F3. (pun intended)
Old 19 Oct 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1437910)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Katherine Legge has only beaten one of the poorest Atlantic fields in years.

But I wouldn't knock her for getting the chance to test an F1 car - anyone would grab it
Old 19 Oct 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1437931)   #13
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasytoca
See http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns15806.html

Given Katherines launch into orbit during an F3 race at Rockingham and Red Bulls takeover of Minardi could this put a whole new meaning into "Red Bull gives you wings"
red bull gave coulthard a beard!
Old 19 Oct 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1437949)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Kicking-back]Katherine Legge has only beaten one of the poorest Atlantic fields in years.

/QUOTE]Hardly her fault? Seem to remember she was well placed in the few North American F.Renault races she did at the end of 2004.
Old 19 Oct 2005, 14:06 (Ref:1437985)   #15
Kicking-back
Veteran

No, it's not her fault the field was poor - but if she was really top drawer she would have dominated it.

But the standard of the field rather puts her wins in perspective.

I'd like to see her have a proper, full season, against quality opposition and then we'll know where she stands, but the evidence so far is inconclusive.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1439692)   #16
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure she once took a pole position in Formula Renault UK at Oulton Park.

Without a doubt it was a weak field in Formula Atlantic, but she still deserves credit for her performances. Whether she could repeat the season next year, with renewed interest in the new Atlantics and probably a far stronger field, I have my doubts.

Latest story is that her realistic goal is to race in Champ Cars:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/4361130.stm
Old 21 Oct 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1439693)   #17
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Legge
Until I prove myself some more I know that both Champ Car and Formula One are out of my reach.
...At least she remains level-headed; this is the impression I got when she was a guest on Champ Car commentaries this year. That's a good attribute.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1439703)   #18
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
No, it's not her fault the field was poor - but if she was really top drawer she would have dominated it.

But the standard of the field rather puts her wins in perspective.

I'd like to see her have a proper, full season, against quality opposition and then we'll know where she stands, but the evidence so far is inconclusive.
Much as you'd say the evidence about Danica is probably inconclusive really. I think it's nice that the UK media is banging on about one of their own for a change - it's been a while since they've shown an interest in someone not called Button
Old 21 Oct 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1439755)   #19
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember her well in British junior karting in the early 90's...she was no front runner but the level of competition was very high back then so to just be in those races hanging on in there was a good work, had it not been so she would have been a front runner. Her dad as most dads were was very supportive and turned up at all the meetings. Give you an idea of what she was up against in her events...Button, Davidson, Paffett, Kerr, Howell, Howard, Sisley, Barber, Breeze, Hollings, and at least a dozen more drivers just as good who didn't carry on chasing a career in racing...So good luck to her for her faith in herself...but I don't think shes got the 'X factor' myself. But a lot of the lads above never even got the chance to even test an F1 car, so good on her. But I hope shes working on the ole neck excercises...cos shes in for a bit of a shock... 5 laps is the best most non F1 fit drivers manage! Mind you thats at tougher tracks like Barcelona, It's the long high 'G' corners and the braking that hurts!
Old 21 Oct 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1439790)   #20
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
skyblue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
She really really should not do this test, it's really no more than a PR stunt and I can't see what she will gain from it but there's potentially a lot to lose. If it was Frank Williams offering a 2 or 3 day test with engineering backup (as against a run around) then it would be very valuable.

Unfortunately the linking with Minardi will not help her with sponsorship efforts either.

Don't do it Katherine............you're being used!!
Old 21 Oct 2005, 13:36 (Ref:1439794)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

I'm not quite sure how she's being used - given that she's getting the chance to drive an F1 car, with a team who're not going to be racing any more.

Kevin Kalkhoven has been supporting her career and as such has assisted her to get this opportunity to fulfill a dream.

It's not going to kill her career.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1439809)   #22
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't see how it'll do her any harm. I met Katherine a year or so ago when she was one of the hosts at a corporate event at Silverstone. I ended up in her "team" for the day, and as I was one of the few real racing fans in the group we chatted quite a bit about racing stuff including her flying lesson at Rockingham, what she was hoping for the following season and Le Mans (she was setting off the following day to meet up with the Rollcentre team).

Get past the looks (she *is* gorgeous!) and she's a lovely girl, seemed very genuine, and I'm not at all surprised by her level headed comments about proving herself.

This Minardi test may lead to nothing immediately, but it's a true feather in her cap and certainly won't harm her chances of progressing to a more competitive series next season - one where she'll have the chance to show where she really stands.

Good luck Katherine!
Old 21 Oct 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1439811)   #23
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
To bring publicity to a support campaign run by Kevin, that's nonetheless seeking cash just about everywhere, and Katherine will not manage the car very well just yet.

It will kill her media interest and long term marketability if she gets lots of coverage for a test that won't quickly be followed up with a drive, that, in mainstream media terms is failure.

If stoddy says; 'she's brilliant'. Do you think Frank will offer her a drive immediately thereafter??
Old 21 Oct 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1439813)   #24
skyblue
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
I'm FULLY behind Katherine, I just don't think she's being properly advised on this one.
Old 21 Oct 2005, 13:53 (Ref:1439818)   #25
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fair enough. I can see your argument, but I'm not sure the negative of a test with no quick follow up is as bad as you suggest. And saying "no" to an offer of an F1 test might give some very bad signals about her ambition?!