Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 8 Mar 2006, 08:24 (Ref:1540069)   #1
Rizweed
Rookie

Rizweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2006/07 Teams??

Some teams seem they will back out of A1 next season. There are talks that new countries are coming on board.

Any predictions of who's in and who's out next season??
Old 8 Mar 2006, 08:28 (Ref:1540071)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well Russia are already out and Pakistan have missed the last few rounds (due to driver injury). As to the new teams coming in, thats an unknown quantity.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 09:36 (Ref:1540105)   #3
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Pakistan's absence is surely due to more than just driver injury, Khan wasn't injured that badly.

India must be a big doubt considering they are currently having issues.

A shame considering Russia and India are big markets, although I suppose the franchises could be sold to different people from those countries.

Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand, South Africa, Malaysia, Indonesia, Mexico and France would have to be definites surely, plus there was earlier talk of a UAE team.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1540229)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would place question marks over the teams that have often missed races namely Pakistan, India, Russia and Japan. I guess any new teams would be dependent on finding new franchise holders to replace these countries of represent others, although a team representing one of the Arab states wouldn't surprise me.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1540274)   #5
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would expect to see an Arab team of some form next year. Certainly expect Japan to be back - it will be worth it considering the effort Super Aguri are going to to emphasize their roots.
Old 8 Mar 2006, 15:16 (Ref:1540367)   #6
Raymondo
Rookie

Raymondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely expect Japan and Pakistan to be back next season, plus i also heard there will be an Arab car. Have also heard that they intend to significantly increase the power of the cars season by season, and that they were deliberately toned down this year because of the relative inexperience of a number of drivers. This should make for some even more exciting racing. Can't wait until season 2
Old 8 Mar 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1540386)   #7
Charles Warner
Racer

United States
Memphis, TN
Charles Warner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Would expect to see an Arab team of some form next year.
How would you classify the team from Lebanon? Driven by Rahal the younger in Mexico.
Old 9 Mar 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1540949)   #8
Rizweed
Rookie

Rizweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would certainly be sad if pakistan and india were to drop out. they are two nations that pose great competition against eachother.

is russia coming back?

plus there should be a clause in the legal documents stating that if the team principle cannot sustain the team for whatever reason that they should look for a replacement to take over from them.

a country shouldn't be allowed to walk away from a competition.

btw, i hear that bahrain is one team that may come on board soon, and possibly even dubai (that should be good).
Old 9 Mar 2006, 08:39 (Ref:1540976)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The problem is that if the team lose their financial backing, then there is little to do to stop them pulling out of the competition I'm afraid.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1542175)   #10
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bahrain would be good as they have a couple of useful drivers (race winners in Formula BMW Asia - OK not world beaters but more proven than the Lebanon and China drivers we have seen). One of them was midfield in the Formula BMW World final at the end of last year.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1542203)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Bahrain would be good as they have a couple of useful drivers (race winners in Formula BMW Asia - OK not world beaters but more proven than the Lebanon and China drivers we have seen). One of them was midfield in the Formula BMW World final at the end of last year.
Wasn't the whole point of A1GP to allow all sorts of drivers from all sorts of nations? I don't see the point of welcoming contries in just because they have "useful" drivers. If a country, such as China or Lebanon, wants to compete, then best wishes to them and well done for trying.

If it was all down to well known and respected drivers then it would just be "another" single seater series.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1542228)   #12
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly - maybe Basil Shabaan isnt ever going to be a world beater but in the 6 months of this near-top level racing he has clearly come on leaps and bounds. We need the guys from the development regions to come on and open new markets and who knows there might be a star or two in there waiting to make himself known to us too.
Old 10 Mar 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1543038)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Pakistan is back this weekend. Link.

After seeing what Jos Verstappen has done, I'd like to see Denmark in it with Jan Magnussen or even Tom Kristenson if he has the time and Audi were to allow it.
Old 11 Mar 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1543291)   #14
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw that last year Spain were planning on joining but they got themselves together too late for '05-06 but were planning on joining '06-07. Japan will definately be back, probably stronger than this year (+ it wouldn't surprise me if a stronger driver like Motoyama or Yamamoto got a drive) as will Pakistan & hopefully India. It also wouldn't surprise me to see countries like Argentina, Denmark, Sweden, South Korea, Bahrain & UAE joining in the not so distant future. Russia may be back with new investors but they may concentrate on developing drivers for a couple of years outside of A1 GP before rejoining. Generally though, the future looks good!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 11 Mar 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1543376)   #15
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Yes I agree with you Newbob and mystery, was just pointing out that Bahrian would be reasonably competitive.

A few months back I heard that they hoped to increase the number of teams to 30 for next season