Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Feb 2018, 12:02 (Ref:3797422)   #1551
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
really? both have pretty shoddy pit buildings, and not necessarily enough space for all the f1 fluff in the paddock though assen is probably a bit better off. zandvoort struggles with dtm, the gt4 support was in the (charitably named) outer paddock last year and there was only a couple of f3 teams.
Well, I meant in terms of layout and run off etc.

I hadn't considered facilities, but then working out of sheds hasn't out F1 off in the past (see Interlagos, Monaco blah blah)

Assen would surely need a ton of dough spent on track re-surfacing, widening, access all sorts?
Old 1 Feb 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3797442)   #1552
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Well, I meant in terms of layout and run off etc.

I hadn't considered facilities, but then working out of sheds hasn't out F1 off in the past (see Interlagos, Monaco blah blah)

Assen would surely need a ton of dough spent on track re-surfacing, widening, access all sorts?
it’s fairly wide, i think the visit by charlie whiting only brought up a couple of minor tweaks that’d need doing.

the access at assen is excellent - straight onto a motorway, albeit dual carriageway and there’s a railway station that they already provide frequent buses to and from on big days. they genuinely get 80-100k spectators there for the bikes and their big free event.

zandvoort is a pain for access in terms of trucks (there’s really only one way in and out plus you have to cross the track a la brands hatch), but it has a train station within walking distance and thus all of amsterdam for hotel rooms.

/bella’s european circuit reviews
Old 5 Feb 2018, 13:57 (Ref:3798681)   #1553
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Again the rumours about the return of Argentine GP.
It's very strange, but don't want to have F1 in my country...
Old 5 Feb 2018, 16:05 (Ref:3798722)   #1554
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The economic return of having an F1 race is questionable at best.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3798749)   #1555
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it’s fairly wide, i think the visit by charlie whiting only brought up a couple of minor tweaks that’d need doing.

the access at assen is excellent - straight onto a motorway, albeit dual carriageway and there’s a railway station that they already provide frequent buses to and from on big days. they genuinely get 80-100k spectators there for the bikes and their big free event.

zandvoort is a pain for access in terms of trucks (there’s really only one way in and out plus you have to cross the track a la brands hatch), but it has a train station within walking distance and thus all of amsterdam for hotel rooms.

/bella’s european circuit reviews
Old 7 Feb 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3799290)   #1556
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I wonder how the the queue at Liberty's door for 'new' F1 races, really is? With the current climate who is going to have $200m to spend on a venue plus the $50M or so per year for F1 rights?
Old 7 Feb 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3799294)   #1557
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Somewhere in the GPI magazine (Long Beach '83 edition), just read a note about how Bernie has to cope with the US street tracks, at the time...
That's not new, and it's VERY related to last Bernie's Xmas postcard...
Old 7 Feb 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3799308)   #1558
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
I wonder how the the queue at Liberty's door for 'new' F1 races, really is? With the current climate who is going to have $200m to spend on a venue plus the $50M or so per year for F1 rights?
Same as always, an ambitious national or local government or some very, very rich guy as a vanity project. It's hard to see the ROI of such a project — see COTA — but governments and the super rich can sometimes be convinced to throw money at crazy things.

I also wonder how many serious inquiries Liberty is getting these days, especially as they want more races in the right places — high income parts of the world, especially major cities — and less in places like Baku or Malaysia that just don't help the F1 brand as much.

I wonder if F1 might try to poach some cities from Formula E in the future.
Old 7 Feb 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3799338)   #1559
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one Liberty headline which never got much traction is that they have been clear that the teams should expect a decrease in the overall size of the prize fund. ostensibly because they are reinvesting more back into the sport, expanding FOM departments etc.

but are they prepared to further decrease the size of the pot by lowering sanctioning fees to secure, what they consider, key venues?

will we see Nurburgring return in 2019 or another American city (NYC, Vegas, Miami) get added on the back of a more favorable hosting deals, will they save Silverstone?
Old 13 Feb 2018, 15:21 (Ref:3800972)   #1560
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
also wonder how many serious inquiries Liberty is getting these days, especially as they want more races in the right places — high income parts of the world, especially major cities — and less in places like Baku or Malaysia that just don't help the F1 brand as much.
Rumours say otherwise, see Kuwait.
Old 14 Feb 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3801319)   #1561
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Azerbaijan sports minister is saying that their current deal is unacceptable.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38127.html

which, coincidentally enough, is a thought shared by most F1 fans...this race is unacceptable!
Old 14 Feb 2018, 18:36 (Ref:3801331)   #1562
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Azerbaijan sports minister is saying that their current deal is unacceptable.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns38127.html

which, coincidentally enough, is a thought shared by most F1 fans...this race is unacceptable!
The sooner it's off the calendar the better, though I did enjoy last year's race, as it was so like an IndyCar street.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 08:49 (Ref:3801483)   #1563
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The sooner it's off the calendar the better, though I did enjoy last year's race, as it was so like an IndyCar street.
It's a shame the track isn't in another country...

It's more like Macau than an indycar street circuit. OT, Singapore and Valencia most reminded me of thr 90's/00's CART street venues like Houston, Vancouver etc.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 14:07 (Ref:3801589)   #1564
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Nothing wrong with the country, but the authoritarian government.
Old 15 Feb 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3801592)   #1565
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And the fact that hardly anyone has turned up hardly warrants it's place on the calendar
Old 15 Feb 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3801621)   #1566
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

It's more like Macau than an indycar street circuit. OT, Singapore and Valencia most reminded me of thr 90's/00's CART street venues like Houston, Vancouver etc.
I meant last year's race was like an IndyCar street race. Cautions breeding cautions. Drivers getting themselves back on the lead lap. Three wide down the main straightaway on the restart, not the venue itself. I doubt we will see a repeat this year.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 00:51 (Ref:3804168)   #1567
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Promising news about Argentina:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8221646.html

Fenix Entertainment Group is a huge show promoter.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 01:04 (Ref:3804171)   #1568
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Promising news about Argentina:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8221646.html

Fenix Entertainment Group is a huge show promoter.
Fantastic if it were to happen. I suppose it's way too early to know which track layout will be used?
Old 27 Feb 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3804230)   #1569
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Fantastic if it were to happen. I suppose it's way too early to know which track layout will be used?
The ruined one.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 11:44 (Ref:3804246)   #1570
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The ruined one.
Which no doubt Tilke will have to update for the F1 Gods.... and ruin it further.
Old 27 Feb 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3804263)   #1571
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
This is Autódromo Juan y Oscar Gálvez, with the various track permutations.

If there is one layout to be ruined it would have to be the No. 15. How could the F1 Gods and Tilke not be tempted to put a chicane in one of those long straights and try to flatten the Curvon, like this layout?

Old 27 Feb 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3804304)   #1572
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
When will they learn? Circuits should remain challenging, not have it lessened
Old 2 Mar 2018, 07:05 (Ref:3805129)   #1573
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
One piece I've seen does give me at least a little hope. That is, Whiting seemed to think that the double hairpin was unnecessary, and the tighter hairpin at the end of the lap sounded more like a "maybe" than anything else.

Keep in mind, this is just a proposal, from the company Typse, I think the name was, which was somehow involved in the Valencia "Street Circuit". (So not much-loved, but more importantly, not Tilke proper, who one would expect will do the actual design.)

I also suspect that there will be a strong push from Super TC 2000, TRV6, and especially Turismo Carretera to retain the ability to use the existing layouts.

(Just to note, TC celebrated 80 years this past season by holding a 1000-km race over 178 laps on Layout No. 12. And Fangio won the series back in 1940-41.)
Old 2 Mar 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3805154)   #1574
S griffin
Veteran

Sounds promising, I guess if the TC2000 want to keep the current layout, there's not a lot F1 can do to change it and it also helps that Charlie Whiting is against adding a hairpin, so hopefully there won't be a layout that will ruin the flow of the circuit
Old 2 Mar 2018, 09:53 (Ref:3805157)   #1575
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
If they leave the circuits unique, in this case high speed flowing circuit, they will introduce more variables and the results will be more interesting.
If all the circuits are basically the same, expect the same result.