Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Dec 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3787721)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
VSCC POMEROY TROPHY

The annual kick off for the season!
Old 8 Feb 2018, 09:44 (Ref:3799490)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I plan to be at the POM, anyone else going along?
Old 18 Feb 2018, 19:31 (Ref:3802208)   #3
NHSL
Rookie

NHSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I'm car 14. I don't think I have ever seen an Austin Maxi on track before - car 51!
Old 18 Feb 2018, 22:11 (Ref:3802248)   #4
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I shall look forward to some photos . Welding up Maxi ‘s and 1100 BMC cars paid for my motor racing back in the day . As I always say “happy days “
Old 19 Feb 2018, 12:52 (Ref:3802384)   #5
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
boggissimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep I'm competing, car 92 (Subaru Impreza). Can't wait to get out there, with the new turbo fitted since last year and newly resurfaced track, should be quick!
Old 19 Feb 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3802390)   #6
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSL View Post
Yes, I'm car 14. I don't think I have ever seen an Austin Maxi on track before - car 51!
The Maxi has a target of 12 laps to do (1750cc), and I have 13 (1994cc + turbo)! How do they set these things?
Old 19 Feb 2018, 15:06 (Ref:3802420)   #7
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggissimo View Post
The Maxi has a target of 12 laps to do (1750cc), and I have 13 (1994cc + turbo)! How do they set these things?
Even Einstein was unable to work that out. And he tried!

Maybe the Maxi is allowed a lap for re-welding?

Last edited by bauble; 19 Feb 2018 at 15:13.
Old 19 Feb 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3802421)   #8
bauble
Veteran

England
Only two cars have only seven laps to complete - both Vauxhalls!

What does that say about VivaGT .................. and myself.
Old 19 Feb 2018, 15:51 (Ref:3802429)   #9
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Only two cars have only seven laps to complete - both Vauxhalls!

What does that say about VivaGT .................. and myself.
That you can't count to eight?
Old 19 Feb 2018, 19:38 (Ref:3802465)   #10
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
That you can't count to eight?
At a pinch I can count up to twenty one.
Old 19 Feb 2018, 21:31 (Ref:3802483)   #11
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
At a pinch I can count up to twenty one.
by that method I can go to 23...
Old 20 Feb 2018, 07:03 (Ref:3802538)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I am interested as to how this works . Is the objective to get all the cars to take chequered flag together at the end . Must enter one year .
Old 20 Feb 2018, 08:14 (Ref:3802546)   #13
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I am interested as to how this works . Is the objective to get all the cars to take chequered flag together at the end . Must enter one year .
The idea Iain is to find the ideal car to go touring on the continent, something that is comfortable, with room for two large suitcases, passenger space for the 'popsie', plenty of speed for the Autoroutes, and good handling for the Alpine passes, and able to stop in a hurry when necessary.

That is why it has been won by pre-war Frazer Nash's in the past.

The result is based on a series of driving tests and a number of internal measurements!!!

The results take a couple of days to work out.

It is a great deal of fun to watch, and presumably to compete in.

A few year ago an ex-hearse took part - just the job for your holiday in France.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 08:39 (Ref:3802548)   #14
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Blurb from the VSCC site: "In February 2018 the VSCC will once again be returning to Silverstone to kick off the Race season with the legendary 'Pomeroy Trophy', in which both Pre-war and Post-war vehicles will be marked on their speed, agility, and braking capabilities in this exciting and totally unique event.

Based on Laurence Pomeroy's formula to calculate the ultimate Touring Car, the Pomeroy Trophy is awarded to the overall event winner.

As well as taking part in a High Speed Regularity Time Trial, the cars will be tested on handling, accelearation, and braking - not least forgetting one of the most unique car tests in the world: the ability to carry two VSCC standard sized suitcases!"
[reading that back, they could do with somebody proof-reading it!]
The 'high speed' test is being run in three sessions, so that there isn't too big a difference in performance/speed between the cars on track. These are 40 mins each, with a target number of laps based on your handicap. The other tests ("wiggle woggle", standing 250m and flying 250m, and braking test) are done during one lap, with a bit of queueing.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3802564)   #15
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The result is based on a series of driving tests and a number of internal measurements!!!

I have an enlarged prostate! Would that result in bonus points?
Old 20 Feb 2018, 09:24 (Ref:3802567)   #16
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Boasting again eh? Mike.
Old 20 Feb 2018, 12:46 (Ref:3802619)   #17
boggissimo
Rookie

United Kingdom
Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I'm sure plenty of the VSCC competitors are in a similar condition, so probably yes!
Old 23 Feb 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3803445)   #18
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list from the VSCC website:

https://www.vscc.co.uk/vsccMedia/24299.pdf
Old 24 Feb 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3803550)   #19
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Utterly bonkers....love it!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 24 Feb 2018, 10:28 (Ref:3803572)   #20
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was driven around the circuit just before the event started and was really impressed with the new surface - lots of interesting tread lines from the weeks testing though, but couldn't believe that the few yards of the Historic Grand Prix circuit where it differs from the current one @ Vale hadn't been done, ships and ha'peth of tar come to mind.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 11:00 (Ref:3803577)   #21
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thought they were doing the complete circuit! I know at least one section has had to be been done again as problems after first go, so maybe Vale still on the to do list....
Old 24 Feb 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3803599)   #22
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Thought they were doing the complete circuit! I know at least one section has had to be been done again as problems after first go, so maybe Vale still on the to do list....
Just been round again and realised that the track edges are marked but there are no grid markings yet.

Not a problem today of course because all 3 sessions are 'rolling starts'.
Old 24 Feb 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3803663)   #23
relativtortoise
Racer

relativtortoise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The surface definitely needs some time and travel (over it) to settle in as it was quite a strange mix today.

Several of us found the front end hopping or sliding with whelps from the tyres in the slower corners - quite unnerving as from the seat you have no idea if it is ripping the tyres to shreds - it wasn't

It has also had it first dousing in BMW diff oil - overall a good day and pleasant in the sun and out of the wind
Old 24 Feb 2018, 23:24 (Ref:3803710)   #24
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Just been round again and realised that the track edges are marked but there are no grid markings yet.
Its the same as Donington, other than a handful of bike grid marks.

Well, sort of the same. The gird part of the start/finish straight has been resurfaced. Plus the entire paddock area other than the "under the trees" camping section.

The gravel tracks from the old main gate round to the paddock entrance have been asphalted. The Paddock entrance access is now the main gate with 24hr security. The old main gate is currently 7am to 7pm only.

Lots of work going on. Old toilet facilities around the circuit are being replaced. Loks like some sort of prefabricated units are favoured but the old units still stand an McLeans and the building at Coppice seems to have been demolished with two port-a-cabin style units placed there. Presumably not yet in service as they were locked today and unmarked as to preferred lifestyle orientation choice.

Much building work visible. The outer track has some huge pot holes at the moment. I did not check but was told that the tunnel form the paddock to the infield was closed today.

The Pits area Paddock fencing is gone.

The Scrutineering bay fencing is gone and the central office building with it.

Half of the blue and white walls are now red and white. Where that change has been deployed looks quite random. There is clearly a lot of work still in progress.
Old 25 Feb 2018, 06:31 (Ref:3803734)   #25
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by relativtortoise View Post
The surface definitely needs some time and travel (over it) to settle in as it was quite a strange mix today.

Several of us found the front end hopping or sliding with whelps from the tyres in the slower corners - quite unnerving as from the seat you have no idea if it is ripping the tyres to shreds - it wasn't

It has also had it first dousing in BMW diff oil - overall a good day and pleasant in the sun and out of the wind
Our Delta reported hopping at certain points when testing there recently, which suggests some bumps, and I was told that there is still some rectification to do. Hope Bauble has some pics to show us at some point!