Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Sep 2003, 15:37 (Ref:716559)   #1
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Citroen opt for Sainz !!!!!!!!!!

World Rally News are reporting that Citroen have given Carlos Sainz the 2nd works Xsara seat

Details at http://www.worldrallynews.com/cgi-bi...3379518,94650,
Old 12 Sep 2003, 16:21 (Ref:716618)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

I like Sainz a lot better than I like McRae ... and especially since at the beginning of last year he had to fight for his seat (against people who called him "too old") and he proved himself worthy.

GO CARLOS!
Old 12 Sep 2003, 16:30 (Ref:716627)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice one - I regard Carlos a far better driver than Colin anyway. I assume it's purely based on Telefonica's money being available if Sainz was given the drive?
Old 12 Sep 2003, 16:39 (Ref:716637)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't doubt the Telefonica money helps, but I really don't believe that's a factor in retaining Carlos. Is he a better driver than Colin? Depends on how you measure it. He's certainly more consistent, and he's proved he's still competitive. I reckon they see Carlos as their key man for a shot at the manufacturer's title. Like Burnsy, he always seems to pick up points. It takes speed and experience to do that.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 17:45 (Ref:716721)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have too i'm not suprised. Can not see a seat for Colin, so IMO he will joining Tommi in retirement.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 18:27 (Ref:716783)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Carlos can do far more than Colin, as the table suggests, so Citroen have made the right decision. It's a little sad that Colin will be forced out, but he could be okay in some other motorsport. Either than or live off the Codemasters money. One title was all he was worth, whereas Carlos can gun for a deserved fourth.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 18:47 (Ref:716806)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought Carlos was a double champ?
Old 12 Sep 2003, 19:06 (Ref:716822)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Colin dumped it off the road too many times to be part of a two car point scoring team. You don't get any points for being in the ditch.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 19:47 (Ref:716870)   #9
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to be controversial again, I ususally tend to be.

To be honest, I've never thought that McRae was actaully that good. He does seem to throw it off the road, or do other stupid things, quite often. He's a bit like Damon Hill was in F1: you know he's got talent, he's proved he can win, but he never really delivers like it's hyped that he's going to.
How many titles has Damon Hill got? Now, how many has Michael Schumacher got?
How many titles has Colin McRae got? Now, how many has Tommi got?

See what I mean? Plenty of people have won a title, it takes something special to keep winning...

Last edited by MichaelC; 12 Sep 2003 at 19:48.
Old 12 Sep 2003, 20:43 (Ref:716926)   #10
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's not very controversial, Michael!

I think you've got it right there - in terms of raw talent I believe McRae has bucketloads, it's just that he doesn't seem to have that bit extra, the psychological edge that turns talent into multiple championships.

I think those predicting his retirement from WRC are being a bit previous. I'm sure he'll get a semi-works/private drive in 2004, and maybe without the pressures of a full works drive we'll see the Colin of old - winning stages by 30 seconds instead of ending the rally upside down in a hedge...
Old 12 Sep 2003, 21:28 (Ref:716954)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd agree with Michael's post.

We all agree everybody in the WRC has some very special talent, just those few who have the extra little edge..

Anyway I'm sure the ditches/hedges of the WRC stages will be happy next year.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 19:07 (Ref:717685)   #12
MichaelC
Veteran

It's so nice to see some people agree with me. I think I'm going to print this thread, frame the thing and stick it on my wall

Colin has already said he wants a drive with a top team, and he'd rather quit than drive for Hyuandi. I therefore don't think you'll see him privateering. However, I'm usually wrong, so let's see.
He certainly isn't going anywhere near NASCAR...

Note to self: LEARN TO SPELL...

Last edited by MichaelC; 13 Sep 2003 at 19:08.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 20:44 (Ref:717815)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Maybe he can come back to the BTCC and the old buddies he made on track 10 years ago, such as Matt Neal..
Old 14 Sep 2003, 21:24 (Ref:718848)   #14
MichaelC
Veteran

Well given Matt Neal's ability for crashing into things, perhaps he should be looking at WRC.
IIRC, Matt Neal didn't take too kindly to being hit, which sounds a bit Pot/Kettle/Black to me...
Old 15 Sep 2003, 08:13 (Ref:719231)   #15
SJ Spode
Veteran

It seems that the decision has been purely commercial. Whether the Telefonica money helps, but apparently Carlos is helping shift more Citroens in Spain than Colin is in the UK.

worldrallynews are reporting that McRae was told that his contract would not be renewed on August 20. It appears that the decision was taken by Citroen Chairman Claude Satinet. The British importer’s reluctance to use McRae in marketing or advertising is thought to have been a factor.

This is a timely reminder that manufacturers are only in the sport to sell motors.

Last edited by SJ Spode; 15 Sep 2003 at 08:26.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:07 (Ref:719615)   #16
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go carlos, his drives even this year are wonderful, where Colin seems like he is fighting, carlos seems like he is driving to points
Old 15 Sep 2003, 15:21 (Ref:719635)   #17
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
It does have to be said that McRae has been the least impressive of the 3 Citroen drivers this year, the other two have retained their seats on merit.
Old 15 Sep 2003, 16:30 (Ref:719715)   #18
ATF
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sheffield
ATF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I prefer Colin to Carlos any day but can you blame Citroen?

He's cheaper, been more consistent this year, has a serious chance of winning the title and he's got massive sponsorship backing!
Old 15 Sep 2003, 18:26 (Ref:719828)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see from Autosport.com that Dave Richards is trying to find a team that will take McRae.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:29 (Ref:720404)   #20
SJ Spode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I see from Autosport.com that Dave Richards is trying to find a team that will take McRae.
And as Richards is still boss of Prodrive, what price a third Subaru.................
Old 16 Sep 2003, 08:40 (Ref:720413)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The news is good, Carlos is a brilliant and tireless tester, always changing the car. It can be for no other reason that Citroen is quick at the end of the season, and on many surfaces... it hasnt always been so...

If he can just somehow forget how to roll when he goes to Rally Australia....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:34 (Ref:720869)   #22
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ahh .. the perfect team . the veteran Sainz with new young gun Loeb .. Citroen has made the good decision ..

Ciao Marco
Old 16 Sep 2003, 15:54 (Ref:720887)   #23
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you people been watching different rallies to me? The Citroen has definately benefited from Sainz and McCrae developing it. Those two have been team mates a long time and know how to work together. On the gravel rallies McRae has been the quickest until he has had problems. certainly in Australia after he got his brakes fixed he went really well and if the positions had been reversed with Loeb can you see McRae being beaten by Sohlberg?
Sainz has been more consistent and is playing the new points system as is Burns. Burns has been getting major flack about this but nobody has mentioned Sainz.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 17:16 (Ref:720969)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
and in another twist to this story I see that Luis Moya will now be working for Prodrive as "Sporting Director". He will take up the job in San Remo.

His main areas of responsibility will be driver management, event strategy, and managing the team's relationship with the sport's governing body, the FIA. He will be working along side Dave Lapworth (team principal) and team manager Paul Howarth.
Old 16 Sep 2003, 17:58 (Ref:721015)   #25
MichaelC
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by SJ Spode
And as Richards is still boss of Prodrive, what price a third Subaru.................
Am I correct in understanding that it would have to be a privateer effort, with Burns and Solberg being Subaru's two qualifying drivers under the new rules?