Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Feb 2004, 21:54 (Ref:866624)   #1
macca46
Rookie

macca46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rick Kelly

going further on a reply i made on another part of this site i thought this guy deserves his own part not on a Murf topic, how many people feel like i do about the talent of this kid. i seriously beleive if he went to Hrt or somewhere where he got treated properly he would be awesome and win lots of races. Now dont start saying that his dad owns the team because that cant be true as rick would be treated better if that was the case, he owns it for the good of holden motorsport and thats it.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 21:57 (Ref:866626)   #2
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rick Kelly is still learning no matter how good he is. Having someone like Greg Murphy in the team will help him no end.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 21:59 (Ref:866628)   #3
macca46
Rookie

Murf would not help any other driver that could threaten him
Old 7 Feb 2004, 22:06 (Ref:866632)   #4
pete55
Veteran

Murph is not a 'Skaife'.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 22:11 (Ref:866635)   #5
macca46
Rookie

no but damn close
Old 7 Feb 2004, 22:24 (Ref:866652)   #6
SkaifeysGal
Racer

Australia
Medowie
SkaifeysGal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rick is a very talented young driver, and he will go very far in this sport!!

Cam, Your a Legend mate!!!
Old 7 Feb 2004, 22:27 (Ref:866656)   #7
pete55
Veteran

I agree. He is still learning though. Having Todd as his team mate next year will do him no good if one or either of them can't set up a car or don't have someone in the team who can give them that advice.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 04:09 (Ref:866816)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's definately got the talent & if he can watch & learn from Murph then i see no reason why he can't have a long & successful career.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 07:13 (Ref:866848)   #9
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honsetly I could be wrong but I think he is a touch over rated there are better racers out there with out a drive.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 07:22 (Ref:866851)   #10
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by macca46
Murf would not help any other driver that could threaten him
Never a better word said. Murph (try hard)
looks after himself and himself only. Young Rick needs better tution from a better team mate, Skaify,Larry, Brighty or
even Seto & CL, if he decided to see the light and cross the fence.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 8 Feb 2004, 07:26 (Ref:866855)   #11
vortexo
Veteran

vortexo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The body language from the press conference (on Telstra) after Bathurst tells me the exact opposite of what you are saying TSR.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 11:28 (Ref:866973)   #12
Vee8
Racer

Vee8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TSR
Never a better word said. Murph (try hard)
looks after himself and himself only. Young Rick needs better tution from a better team mate, Skaify,Larry, Brighty or
even Seto & CL, if he decided to see the light and cross the fence.
I can't even begin to express my contempt for boorish idiots such as Macca and TSR - they have evidently never spent any time with Murf, have no understanding of how things work within the team or how supportive he has been to the teammates he has had over the years.

Methinks 'tis better to keep your mouth shut and have the world suspect you are a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 12:01 (Ref:866993)   #13
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even in the frenzied celebrations after "the" lap at Bathurst, Murph went out of his way to find Rick Kelly and made sure he was included in the celebration and the media coverage. I remember thinking at the time what an unselfish act it was.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 15:22 (Ref:867149)   #14
Kerri
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
Kerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKerri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very well said Bestfit, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 22:54 (Ref:867533)   #15
Timu
Veteran

New Zealand
Waiuku, New Zealand
Timu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that they call this kind of knocking the "Tall Poppy Syndrome"

Murph is one of the best team mates to have, Brockie himself rates murph very highly and I remember Ricko in a sports feature on the kmart racing team last year saying that Murph was a very good mentor, and has been a really big help in his career...

And MRJUCY,

Who deserves the drive more than Rick?
I think he has more than earnt his stripes...
Old 8 Feb 2004, 23:22 (Ref:867551)   #16
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Rick or his brother are real superstars. But they are more than capable and in V8 Supercars if you have the car set up right on the day you can kick butt and look pretty good. I don't think Rick has had a great chassis since he went into the V8s (except at Btahurst 2003) but he has had good consistent results.I think he would benefit immensely and mature greatly if he did a season in British F3 or similar as would Winterbottom although he is a bit older. The Kelly family just seem to be V8 fans however.
Old 8 Feb 2004, 23:38 (Ref:867571)   #17
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
Between Winton & Wakefield
Adam Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Credit where credit is due, Rick Kelly has done a fantastic job since he appeared on the V8 Supercar scene. Also me must not forget his Formula Holden (F4000) days as well. But you must also remember that Murph has achieved a lot more in his racing than Rick, but there is also the age and experience difference. Given the right opportunities I think Rick can achieve just as much as Greg, but whatever the scenario we are all lucky to have drivers the calibre of Kelly and Murphy in our sport.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 00:51 (Ref:867633)   #18
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a very talented young driver but I just can't help but remember when Wills came back for a one off at Adelaide in FH and blew his doors off????? Much like Todd did to wills the year before at PI???? Strange that drivers a year out of the seat show such form against guys who are in them every day

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 9 Feb 2004, 01:41 (Ref:867660)   #19
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
Between Winton & Wakefield
Adam Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes i know what you are saying, I have seen this happen time and time again. Generally I think it comes down to experience, often once drivers leave the Gold Star series they go on to "bigger and better" things, giving them more time in the cars and honing their skills that little bit more.
Old 9 Feb 2004, 01:44 (Ref:867662)   #20
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wills also ran at Darwin that year and Rick was much closer to him except for a lurid off track excursion. I think it put things in perspective for Rick and he improved after that. I think Stokell also made a one off appearence at Winton that year and took a win.But I think it showed Rick that a Championship doesn't mean much if you don't beat the best (teams and drivers)and his normal opposition that year wasn't as good as Wills and Stokell.