Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Nov 2006, 22:30 (Ref:1764511)   #1
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No Rick Kelly Backlash?? (MERGED)

I was just wondering why there has been no backlash against Rick Kelly.

Last year when Russell Ingall looked like and then eventually won the championship with 1 round win there were howls of anger on here that he was an unworthy champion and he wasn't driving to win just to stay out of trouble.

We are now faced with the very real possibility of having a champion that will not score a round win at all and there has been no discussion whatsoever ???

I would think the Rick would not risk fighting for the win and just try to finish the next 2 rounds to preserve his lead.

Have we all just accepted that we have a crap points system, do people believe Rick will be a deserving champion with no round wins ????
Old 12 Nov 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1764513)   #2
Fte_by_Ford
Rookie

Australia
Hervey Bay
Fte_by_Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who ever wins will be the deserving champion...cause that person has always been close to the front.
Old 12 Nov 2006, 23:18 (Ref:1764533)   #3
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the fact that it was Russell Ingall??

Still 2 rounds to go and anything could happen between now and 430pm on December 10th....
Old 13 Nov 2006, 00:15 (Ref:1764552)   #4
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will be interesting to see how consistent the Holden supporters will be.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 01:28 (Ref:1764569)   #5
Joe5619
Veteran

Joe5619 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without sounding rude, if Kelly wins this years championship & does NOT won one of the last 2 rounds, he will be the most undeserving winner of a championship in Australia Motoring Racing history!!

Thanks God this points system is gone!!
Old 13 Nov 2006, 01:32 (Ref:1764571)   #6
Fransiscus
Rookie

Fransiscus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because Trev, no-one really cares about Rick Kelly.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 01:36 (Ref:1764574)   #7
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell
Have we all just accepted that we have a crap points system, do people believe Rick will be a deserving champion with no round wins ????
The problem with the points system has been said many, many times before and I am thankful this is the last year it will be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fte_by_Ford
Who ever wins will be the deserving champion...cause that person has always been close to the front.
I agree every champion is derserving, but some are more deserving than others.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 01:41 (Ref:1764577)   #8
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransiscus
Because Trev, no-one really cares about Rick Kelly.
I will go furhter than that and say I dont care about V8's anymore. With championship situations like this and the riduculous penalties that are handed out have just turned me off the entire series. I havnt sat down this year and watched an entire round, including Bathurst.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 13 Nov 2006, 01:49 (Ref:1764581)   #9
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well I can't speak for others, but I can assure you that I never said a bad word about Ingall winning the title last year. In fact, when it became clear that it was a fight between he and Lowndes, I was actually kind of going for Ingall as he hadn't won one before and Lowndes already had three.

I don't like this points system any more than any of you (thankfully it's gone for next year), but the fact is guys like Ingall last year and Rick this year have driven to it while others haven't and payed the price. You can't really just say that Lowndes won four rounds so he should be champion, because if we'd had a points system that rewarded winning more, then maybe people like Ingall and Rick wouldn't have been so conservative and Lowndes wouldn't have had it as easy. It's all relative.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1764589)   #10
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he hasn't won it yet.....
Old 13 Nov 2006, 03:35 (Ref:1764604)   #11
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRabbit
he hasn't won it yet.....
That's absolutely correct. What happened to Lowndes shows how quickly things can change, and they can just as quickly change back. There's still two rounds to go, that's six races, and one of those rounds is at a track noone has ever been to before. In any case it's going to be an exciting end to the year.

At least we don't have to wait too long like we do between some rounds, it's only two weeks until Bahrain, then two more until Phillip Island.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 04:14 (Ref:1764607)   #12
Lowndesfan6
Racer

Lowndesfan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trev, maybe you need to read the other forum sites to get your answer, there's plenty of distaste to not winning a round.

You have to admit though, he's done a very good job of coming second all year, and for mine, I hope that's where he finishes......behind CL.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 04:25 (Ref:1764611)   #13
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest, can anyone do this year's results to next years point system - it would be of interest to see the difference.

Speaking of this year's system, Lowndes is lucky they have drop your worst round in!
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 13 Nov 2006, 05:19 (Ref:1764619)   #14
Phase3
Veteran

Australia
Always Amazing, Ever Changing Gold Coast
Phase3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find the idea of rick kelly being champion so abhorrent that it has left me to speechless to comment on the way he's inherited it.......
Old 13 Nov 2006, 06:27 (Ref:1764644)   #15
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be ****ed off no matter who wins the championship- Skaifey's won the most races, years ago he would be miles ahead of anyone else, but this crap points system has let him down again. Good thing we'll see the last of it this year.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 13 Nov 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1764653)   #16
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it's a bit tough not giving Rick some cedit for the way he has driven this year.

I mean, he has driven maturely, rarely put a foot wrong, and has definitely been at the pointy end of most races.

Any idea what his average finishing position is compared to what Ingall's was last year. I think it may well be a few places higher.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 06:54 (Ref:1764661)   #17
James63
Veteran

Australia
Q
James63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I'll be ****ed off no matter who wins the championship- Skaifey's won the most races, years ago he would be miles ahead of anyone else, but this crap points system has let him down again. Good thing we'll see the last of it this year.
You are overlooking the many DNF's he has had...Sandown, Bathurst, Indy and Symmons were all SHOCKERS, no points system is going to put him on top after having 4 bad rounds like that..Not to mention the 0 points at Adelaide aswell.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1764674)   #18
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The backlash will only come depending on the colour goggles you're wearing. I gave it to Russell last year as much as anyone but ultimately I was happy to see him get the championship after finishing 2nd so many times.

As everyone keeps saying they can only drive to the points system...and it's been widely acknowledged as crap.

I won't have any problem with Rick being the champ if that's how it turns out. I did the K2 ride last year with him at the wheel, at a very wet and slippery Phillip Island. It gave me a new found appreciation of how good he actually is.

But ultimately I still want race winners to be rewarded. Second place is the first loser.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 07:39 (Ref:1764676)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
im pretty confident rick would be leading using next years points sytem. and skaife would be about where he is now. if you win one race DNF the next two, you dont score as many points as the guy who come 6th in all 3, and that should be the way it happens
Old 13 Nov 2006, 08:51 (Ref:1764708)   #20
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Yeah thats a good system.
Why not just give 1 point to the winner of each round and no points to anyone else. Then at the end of the year tally up who has the most wins and they are the champion. (INSERT SARCASM)

Sure Skaifys won a few races, but he has also had some shockers.
Lowndes for my mind has been the best performer with a few wins and pretty consistent results.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1764718)   #21
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ok whacked some lira into research

under next years system skaife has scored points in only 6 rounds, he has not scored any points in the most recent 4 rounds, and in the two rounds before that he scored points only in the reverse grid races, so he probably would be a worthy champion. NOT!

so here are they points. 2 systems.

firstly based staight on results without a reverse grid factor

Lowndes 489
Rick 481
Gt 373
Frosty 364
skaife 223

using a revese grid factor, where the reverse grid race, received half the points of race 1 and 3

lowndes 509
Rick 489
Gt 379
Frosty 377
skaife 231

i havent included a drop your worse round. interestingly rick would be further ahead in the current year if we took that into account
Old 13 Nov 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1764781)   #22
Sparklehorse
Racer

Australia-Aboriginal
Perth
Sparklehorse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kelly won't win.

Remember the trend is your friend. Kelly has finished second all year, he will finish second in the championship.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 10:34 (Ref:1764792)   #23
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just goes to show how CRAP this points system realy is,run round in the top 5/top 10 don't win a round and your home Mr Consistancey won last year Mr Consistancy will win this year although it is a different bloke,glad this points system is goooone next year anddrop your worst round c'mon what a farse that is.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1764824)   #24
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This championship rewards consistency. Last year Ingall was consistent. This year Rick has been consistent. Lowndes has also been consistent on average, but as well as several rounds of domination, he has also had some less successful events. Rick's highs haven't been as high as Craigs, but his lows also haven't been as low. If the championship rewarded wins then based on the results so far you would have to give it to Lowndes already. But it doesn't. All the drivers know that, and can choose to drive accordingly. In the past there has been discussion about drivers and teams choosing to go all-out to win Bathurst, with a willingness to risk the championship to achieve it. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

If Rick wins the championship it will be because he drove best to the demands of the championship. Ditto Lowndes or Frosty if they get up.... or even dare I suggest Tander as still having a chance? Or what if Russell did it again? How many podiums has he had this year, let alone wins? Yet he still considers himself a chance. Good luck to him if he does pull it off, because it will mean he has been the most consistent driver of the season.

Last edited by Rombles1; 13 Nov 2006 at 11:07.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1764834)   #25
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
888s lack of car speed for Craig compared to the rocket crash bandicoot is driving is the reason.
Ricks Toll car put him up the front in qualifying(keeping him out of all the chaos)

Lowndes languished back in 11th, new or old car, both 888 Falcons are now well behind the more powerful FPR engined Falcons.

I cant see an answer for 888 unless they find comparable power to FPR/HRT/HSV who are the power leaders at present!

the horspower deficit was really apparent with 888 at SP!
Closed Thread