Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19 Mar 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3221242)   #2601
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post
Sky creates a lot of employment - not just for presenters - and while the ethics of the empire may be cloudy, that doesn't mean that the people who work for them are somehow bad or that the people who purchase the service are mugs. They don't deserve to be insulted.
quite. my cousin does a great job for sky (she actually broke a fairly massive story recently), she's definitely not a mug, they look after her as an employee very well and she has a good shift patterns. though her old man doesn't give them his business for televisual services, that goes to virgin
Old 19 Mar 2013, 15:54 (Ref:3221249)   #2602
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The 'Sky scandal' isn't about production. It's about the bosses and Eccelstone in particular. Live F1 doesn't need to be behind a paywall or if a paywall than let it be a paywall at an itunes price or something.

Once though the Sky bosses handed down their instruction to the production team; they did a good job with it.

I don't like all that punditry but that's a view that won't be shared by most and is also something most broadcasters do with their headline sports and Sky has brought to the max - giving a whole channel over to it.

However that's only a personal preference and I don't really assign blame to the Sky F1 team for dong that.

In short the Sky production is fine and they should be proud of their achievement.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3221268)   #2603
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As for people being mugs, you could say that about pretty much everything, including and probably especially Formula 1 - since I suspect Bernie is certainly on a par with Mr. Murdoch in terms of personal fortune. If you didn't buy anything or watch anything because of a moral objection to those who own or run them, then you had better get off the grid because behind just about everything (except Ten-Tenths sadly...! ) is owned and run by a hyper wealthy man or woman or group of faceless investors that you probably wouldn't want to trust with your kid's pocket money.

IMHO of course.
I don't think people are necessarily mugs for paying for Sky coverage, that's their choice. I personally wouldn't pay for Sky as I object to Murdoch and all that he stands for. The alternative is the BBC, which although isn't a perfect institution, at least isn't owned by a hyper wealthy man or woman or group of faceless investors.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 17:00 (Ref:3221284)   #2604
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The alternative is the BBC, which although isn't a perfect institution, at least isn't owned by a hyper wealthy man or woman or group of faceless investors.
Faceless civil servants then?

Surely you're not holding the BBC up as being a paragon of virtue after everything that's come to light in the last 6 months?
Old 19 Mar 2013, 17:39 (Ref:3221298)   #2605
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Faceless civil servants then?

Surely you're not holding the BBC up as being a paragon of virtue after everything that's come to light in the last 6 months?
Certainly not, if I'd launched into a diatribe of the BBC I'd be going seriously off topic.

Agreed on faceless civil servants but in this case I prefer them to Murdoch.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3221383)   #2606
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Hurrah, I'm a mug in your opinion. It's what I've always wanted.

Rennen, you're a mug. isenho.
I would like to say I do not think Rennen, despite his subscription to sky, is a mug. I was merely highlighting the absurdity of calling Rennen a mug.
The jury is out on me though.

BTW isenho is in someone else's not humble opinion. I know, weaktastic.

Last edited by Adam43; 19 Mar 2013 at 20:30. Reason: Merge posts.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 23:55 (Ref:3221472)   #2607
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Sky could give away a gift with every new subscription with it printed across it: "A mug for subscribing to Sky?".
Old 20 Mar 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3221478)   #2608
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
time to split this discussion two ways - one, discussing the uk f1 coverage. two, discussing the whys and hows of joining sky for the coverage and if you haven't signed up, why you haven't.

also the poll is getting on my nerves, it hasn't been relevant for 2 years

thanks for the contributions so far folks, it's been... interesting

Tags
outrage, sky