Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 8 Aug 2008, 04:34 (Ref:2265694)   #26
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way too mickey-mouse.

The first half of the track was fine as it was (especially turn 1).

Who's the genius at the FIA who decreed that you need a tight corner at the end of the main straight??
Old 8 Aug 2008, 04:41 (Ref:2265695)   #27
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So there's a few re-profiled corners in there and a turn one two combination that would be similar to a new Nurburgring or Hungaroring...but by and large it's much the same as what existed in reverse.

Umm...where's the 'new' public transport system (read: train station) delivering people to the Motorsport Precinct?
Old 8 Aug 2008, 05:51 (Ref:2265708)   #28
Green Hornet
Racer

Green Hornet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They have the opportunity to build something from scratch... why not replicate Spa or Monza or Hungaroring or something?
Shouldn't every circuit be different? If you want to race or spectate at the aforemention, simply go there.
Old 8 Aug 2008, 07:21 (Ref:2265733)   #29
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
It doesn't have enough fast corners for F1.
The sweeper at the end of the straight should have been left alone.
Reverse the direction. OK'
Make provision for club and test circuits, yes.

But that is like a Monaco in park....
Absolute waste of $93 miilion...
Old 8 Aug 2008, 08:23 (Ref:2265754)   #30
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAU
Umm...where's the 'new' public transport system (read: train station) delivering people to the Motorsport Precinct?
You want the ARDC to pay for that? You are kidding aren't you?
Old 8 Aug 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2265759)   #31
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Who's the genius at the FIA who decreed that you need a tight corner at the end of the main straight??
Is that written anywhere that is available for Joe public or is it only available to Mr Tilke etc?
Old 8 Aug 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2265821)   #32
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turn 1, in any direction would be fine for run off.

Mickey Mouse, perhaps.

will this new track be closer to Homebush?
Old 8 Aug 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2265823)   #33
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Not the bloke from Phillip Island.
Old 9 Aug 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2266252)   #34
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can we possibly include a "Dingle Dell"-type corner too?

Imagine a V8Supercar with 4 wheels off the deck....... every lap!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 9 Aug 2008, 13:12 (Ref:2266323)   #35
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wouldnt matter GTR, The Black Wiggle says they wont be returning to Eastern Creek, so you can put tabletop jumps in for all he cares...
Old 9 Aug 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2266504)   #36
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Can we possibly include a "Dingle Dell"-type corner too?

Imagine a V8Supercar with 4 wheels off the deck....... every lap!
Except Dingle Dell isn't like that anymore. Gone back to being a quickish right hander without the chicane. I assume they managed to find a bit more run-off when it was reprofiled. It's not quite as exciting, but it's a little more sensible and it helps the flow of the track.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2266725)   #37
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a quick design I did for all you folk at home, just to prove a point of how pathetic the $98m design was.

You can make this track magic, if you add a little imagination.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2266727)   #38
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to make a little more sense;

Blue = Existing track
Red = Need to be built
Green = different configurations, incl. F1 turn 1.

Circuit retains it's original anti-clockwise direction.

Last edited by blaarg; 10 Aug 2008 at 11:04.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 03:16 (Ref:2267080)   #39
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAU
A train station sounds like a good idea, but wouldn't you need a railway line nearby?
Old 11 Aug 2008, 03:57 (Ref:2267087)   #40
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't stand the proposed design, i agree with whoever said it looks like a huge go-kart track, so stop start. There isn't a real racer in the world who doesn't love open, fast, flowing circuits. Why would you spend $93M to ruin something so good!
Old 11 Aug 2008, 05:27 (Ref:2267098)   #41
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My own though resembles Blaaag's, but without the bits to draw the lines. I must say here I don't mind the place, but perhaps the reputation of my companions has led me to think I'd been lucky with the breeze.......

I'd use the existing short strip from turn 4-9, then use turn 10 to create a double apex hairpin to a new section back to 8, run around the short strip from 9 back to 4, then add a new section to take a right at about the bridge after turn 7 for a L/R flick to rejoin at turn 11. If the room is a bit tight, I'd move the hairpin back closer to turn 9.

Reverse the direction and tighten turn 12 (or 1 if reversed) if required, but doing it this way requires minimal sod-turning and even allows racing to take place on the short circuit while most of the 2 new sections are built. The short joining strips will need to be widened too.

Spend $5 mil buying & covering the tip next door & then do the bitumen work. The remaining budget could nearly erect a main-straight type grandstand around the entire place. Couldn't be any more of a dog's breakfast than Donington will be......
Old 11 Aug 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2267191)   #42
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
The FIA requires a heavy breaking area at the end of a long straight so Blaarg's won't do in that area but will need to have the corner at the end of the straight tightened up.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2267196)   #43
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
They have the opportunity to build something from scratch... why not replicate Spa or Monza or Hungaroring or something? A fast circuit without these mickey mouse stop-go corners.
O/T:
A Finn guy has decided to build a proper race track on the Swedish island of Gotland. http://www.gotlandring.com/home.xml?lang=en

The 2 mile northern loop has been built already and the 2.6l mile southern loop is under construction. The combined track will be the length of Spa when its finished. He eventually plans to build Nordschiefe-style track thats 17 miles long.

Back on topic:
The FIA rules for designing a track are awful beyond belief. They manage to kill all the exictement and challenge out of a track.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 13 Aug 2008, 04:18 (Ref:2268224)   #44
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am a great fan of the existing circuit and would be sad to see Turn 1 go with no other similar fast corner on the circuit.It is along with Turn 1 at Phillip Island and the entry to the Chase at Bathurst one of the 3 great fast corners in Australian racing.Although I don't feel the need to see the entire circuit when I am at the races the spectating at the track has been a major complaint and the cars will be out of sight of most of the crowd for a much higher percentage of the time on the new circuit(not to mention that people in the grandstand will basically be looking at the backs of the cars for most of the time).As for the NSW government attracting major events to the Creek-isn't this the same government that let A1GP go 2 months ago?Although I would much prefer the government spent any funds it was giving to motor racing to the Creek rather than Homebush and I particularly like the idea of 2 club circuits that could run meetings simultaneously I think that for $310,000 a more imaginative plan could have been devised to have a faster circuit with improved spectator viewing.
Old 13 Aug 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2268781)   #45
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan,

Going over the hump at Sandown into the esses has a high pucker factor too, but I'm not sure how long it will be there....

Anyway my thoughts are now above, so has anybody got any better ideas?
Old 14 Aug 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2268975)   #46
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfunction Junction
Alan,

Going over the hump at Sandown into the esses has a high pucker factor too, but I'm not sure how long it will be there..
You talking about the esses or the pucker?

Relax a bit, they got rid of the esses once when they extended the track, but they're back. Nothing remains of the new/old infield section at Sandown anymore.

Sandown will be around for a while, who'd want to live next door to the noise from the rifle club across the highway....
Old 14 Aug 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2268976)   #47
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Sandown will be around for a while, who'd want to live next door to the noise from the rifle club across the highway....
Speaking of the gun club. A few weeks ago I was up at Dandy Rd and every time someone let off a round at the gun club someone fired back from the Sandown Grandstand.....Mate I thought I was caught in a crossfire.

Took me quite some time to work out it was an echo......

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm quoting myself.....should have stopped after the second bottle of red......
Old 14 Aug 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2269032)   #48
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
You talking about the esses or the pucker?

Relax a bit, they got rid of the esses once when they extended the track, but they're back. Nothing remains of the new/old infield section at Sandown anymore.

Nah, both will go under the Urban Development Plan to be released next week to assit the critical shortage of housing.

Both complex's will be brought for $100. mil each and sub divided. to recover the cost by the developer, all blocks will start at $650.00- $1 mil. This will help the Victorians to move from renting into thier own home.
LOL Victorian State Govt

Old 14 Aug 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2269034)   #49
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA
Speaking of the gun club. A few weeks ago I was up at Dandy Rd and every time someone let off a round at the gun club someone fired back from the Sandown Grandstand.....Mate I thought I was caught in a crossfire.

Took me quite some time to work out it was an echo......

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm quoting myself.....should have stopped after the second bottle of red......
sure it wasn't a turf war?

Old 16 Aug 2008, 01:55 (Ref:2269911)   #50
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco
Nah, both will go under the Urban Development Plan to be released next week to assit the critical shortage of housing.

Both complex's will be brought for $100. mil each and sub divided. to recover the cost by the developer, all blocks will start at $650.00- $1 mil. This will help the Victorians to move from renting into thier own home.
LOL Victorian State Govt

Yes, yes indeed. Most home buyers in the new Sandown Estate will be empty nesters with enough cash to afford the $650K blocks.........

........ And when they pop off, the hearse will save a fortune in fuel costs.