Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 1 Apr 2010, 12:30 (Ref:2664785)   #101
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As an guide to that, I give you Jarno Trulli at last year's GP doing the same thing. Even the stewards failed to notice that, so you can't expect commentators (ex-drivers) to get it. Methinks some people need to spend some time trackside to understand why this is important.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2664814)   #102
Barman1963
Rookie

Barman1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
As an guide to that, I give you Jarno Trulli at last year's GP doing the same thing. Even the stewards failed to notice that, so you can't expect commentators (ex-drivers) to get it. Methinks some people need to spend some time trackside to understand why this is important.
I agree. I've been a long time advocate that all competition licence holders should have to spend a day on the bank. Those who have spent time trackside go away with a much better idea of what and why the proper behaviour under yellows is important.
Old 2 Apr 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2665598)   #103
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman1963 View Post
I agree. I've been a long time advocate that all competition licence holders should have to spend a day on the bank. Those who have spent time trackside go away with a much better idea of what and why the proper behaviour under yellows is important.
don't disagree, most of us (racers) have done a day or more....
Old 3 Apr 2010, 02:41 (Ref:2665690)   #104
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
2nd'd. Get tough with it, or theres no point even having the rules.

First offence excluded from the round, second offence excluded for the year, 3rd offence goodbye racing license. Wouldn't be too many people (maybe morris at the enduro's) who would rack up more than one offence if that was the penalty.

That 3k is a joke really, pocket change for someone like whincup
I dunno, he looked pretty upset when he had to apologise to the officials the next morning
(my apologies for the red hat in the foreground, but I didn't get a better shot with his puppy-dog eyes)
Old 3 Apr 2010, 02:59 (Ref:2665697)   #105
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
I dunno, he looked pretty upset when he had to apologise to the officials the next morning
(my apologies for the red hat in the foreground, but I didn't get a better shot with his puppy-dog eyes)
I'd probably put on that face aswell if i was in his position, ie got caught (but i wouldn't be, if i was a racer i'd abide by the rules, especially the yellow/red flag rules)
Old 3 Apr 2010, 04:54 (Ref:2665706)   #106
malscar
Rookie

malscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

This was in a totally different class. Ignoring waved yellows on a hot track is bad enough, but when the track is 'green' for the officials, with approximately 10 guys out cleaning between turn 6 and 7, and have Whincup (after the presentation) to drive past waved yellows in a non racing situation and actually be sideways out of turn 6 is criminal. The slap on the wrist and to be told to talk to the officials the next day (he was told to, he did not ask to as per mentioned in the briefing ) was just a slap in the face to the officials.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 05:43 (Ref:2665713)   #107
AJR
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
AJR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon S View Post
don't disagree, most of us (racers) have done a day or more....
True, but most of us only do this once as part of our first license upgrade, if it were an annual requirement AND was spread across the various officiating disciplines it would result in greater mutual respect.
Old 3 Apr 2010, 05:45 (Ref:2665714)   #108
AJR
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
AJR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry, could very well be my red hat on the foreground there *ducks*
Old 7 Apr 2010, 22:47 (Ref:2668518)   #109
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the FOSC meeting in the weekend we had afew drivers pass under yellow and also ignore them as well. They all got pulled in front of the stewards and got a telling off.

We even had a driver pass a car under waved yellow then under stationary yellow in the same sector. But Karma got him - he came out of hell Corner sideways and ripped the oil line out of the engine and blew an engine.... Yet the marshals had to clean that up....
Old 10 Apr 2010, 05:55 (Ref:2669839)   #110
Simon S
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n View Post
At the FOSC meeting in the weekend we had afew drivers pass under yellow and also ignore them as well. They all got pulled in front of the stewards and got a telling off.

We even had a driver pass a car under waved yellow then under stationary yellow in the same sector. But Karma got him - he came out of hell Corner sideways and ripped the oil line out of the engine and blew an engine.... Yet the marshals had to clean that up....
different meeting all-together (from F1 GT)...

several hundred entrants/cars, and (so far as I could see) no car on car incidents.

std of driving may not be top line, but the level of respect shown between drivers on track was very evident.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 06:43 (Ref:2669846)   #111
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was there an outcome to the bowe incident? (or is it being discussed in the GT thread, havn't seen that bumped for a week or so either)
Old 11 Apr 2010, 05:06 (Ref:2670409)   #112
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Sorry, could very well be my red hat on the foreground there *ducks*
I wondered what Dickie Knee was up to these days!!
Old 11 Apr 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2670600)   #113
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were a few races today at Wakefield Park for the NSW state champ where the yellows were ignored. Most of them were groups of drivers racing and coming up to the flag point in a bunch and all of a sudden they realised there were yellows out.

The worst was the yellows that were out from the last corner to the start finish line and a car overtook another on the main straight under yellows and NOT one official saw it, and they complain about drivers not looking.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 11 Apr 2010, 23:58 (Ref:2671171)   #114
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Didn't see it, or did see it but didn't get both numbers?
Old 12 Apr 2010, 00:09 (Ref:2671174)   #115
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No report was made by flaggies and the CofC and the rest of the people in the room managed to miss it out their window right in front of them. There is video from the car being overtaken but they wont accept that as evidence.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 12 Apr 2010, 00:54 (Ref:2671180)   #116
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpanorama View Post
There is video from the car being overtaken but they wont accept that as evidence.
Why is this? They won't accept videos because they can be manipulated (and officials certainly can't either!)

Much.....
Old 12 Apr 2010, 01:20 (Ref:2671184)   #117
aussiemuscle308
Rookie

aussiemuscle308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Originally Posted by racer69
Using a speed limiter for safety cars could also give the added benefit (depending on the type of accident/reason for safety car admittedly) of not needing to bunch the cars up, meaning hard earnt race leads would not be lost
It's like suggesting half-back should feed into the centre of the scrum instead of feeding it into the second row. It's technically illegal to let them feed the second row but all the TV/entertainment advocate types like the scrums separate the forwards from the backs on the field allowing some flashy running Rugby (League mainly) so everyone turns a blind eye.
unlike the flags, the scrum issue could easily be fixed by having the ref throw in the ball (an unfair scrum defeats the entire purpose of the scrum, btw).
i only race on computer games, but it's a lot easier to notice a light in your face than a tiny flag on the sidelines.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2672889)   #118
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well the solluntion is if they continue to do it they get told to stand on the flag point for a whole weekend and go trackside when there is a incident to clean it up and they will sonn realise that they have to stop ignoring the Yellow flags
Old 15 Apr 2010, 02:32 (Ref:2672930)   #119
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 15 Apr 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2672967)   #120
NewsStalker
Veteran

Does this also apply to certain officials in race control who appear to have forgotten the basics???
Old 15 Apr 2010, 11:28 (Ref:2673086)   #121
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Does this also apply to certain officials in race control who appear to have forgotten the basics???
Oh yes please.

I can just see Timmy harnessed in, sitting on the tailgate of a Navara, dropping rice hull ash on an oil spill.
Then chewing some dust, as the brooms go down, and it gets driven through to clear the excess, before racing resumes....

Or having to go out & attempting to 'snatch' a stricken car in the 70 odd seconds before the field arrives again.
(thus saving a deployment of the 'Entertainment car’ ™® )

And then explaining to Race Control, why during the attempted hot track recovery effort the tow hook broke, as you were attempting to drag it clear of the circuit, thus requiring the use of the 'Entertainment car’ ™®
(that same hook the 'machine examiners' passed as being sufficient, and as per the technical regulations)

Or better still, radioing back to race control that the safety (or recovery) vehicle you are crewing will not be moving until all the field are controlled behind the aforementioned 'Entertainment car’ ™®, because you are fearful for your own personal safety, due to the fact that there are still " Aces" out there flying around at warp speed, trying to catch the train...

Tim, take the Pepsi challenge, go trackside (during an event) and you might actually learn a thing or two.
Just because you scored a point in F1 doesn’t mean you understand the demands you & yours are putting on today’s volunteer Marshalls
Old 15 Apr 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2673103)   #122
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
Just because you scored a point in F1 doesn’t mean you understand the demands you & yours are putting on today’s volunteer Marshalls
Yes but cheating teams in those days actually got suspended - just ask Timmy baby...
Old 15 Apr 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2673124)   #123
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by paydirt View Post
You're probably right.

A question has to be asked, though regarding the role of the Team Manager etc. in this incident.

The TV clearly showed where the Ascari was parked.
Why weren't they on the radio telling their drivers of JB's predicament?...and why weren't they 'advising' them to proceed with caution before, during and after the impact?
Were the Team Managers watching those TVs? Could they? Standing in a pit lane where all the pit boxes are filled with F1 teams and their cars all fenced off how might pit crew watch their TVs? With the big screens likely above their heads facing away from them?

Or do they have access to TV screens somewhere?
Old 15 Apr 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2673244)   #124
Simon S
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore View Post
Were the Team Managers watching those TVs? Could they? Standing in a pit lane where all the pit boxes are filled with F1 teams and their cars all fenced off how might pit crew watch their TVs? With the big screens likely above their heads facing away from them?

Or do they have access to TV screens somewhere?
as one of the 'team managers' in the pit lane, you can't see ****.

also, we only have radio's to listen to race control, not tell them stuff, so even if the 'manager' was talking to John, he has no way to relay this to race control.

Last edited by Woolley; 16 Apr 2010 at 12:20. Reason: autocensor is there for a reason
Old 15 Apr 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2673327)   #125
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemuscle308 View Post
i only race on computer games, but it's a lot easier to notice a light in your face than a tiny flag on the sidelines.
Real life happens in real time complete with consequences, it does not have the advantages of reset or replay buttons. Sadly, this is also somehing that many young drivers on our roads are learning daily

When bagging officials for not seeing and/or reporting something people forget that the further away that you are standing from the incident the clearer overall view you have of it. Something like you can't see the woods for the tree does spring to mind