Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 8 Oct 2002, 22:59 (Ref:398778)   #76
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You were warned with very good reason - this actually happened on the A1 a couple of years ago:

http://www.look4logistics.com/pages/policeradar.asp
Old 9 Oct 2002, 06:05 (Ref:398936)   #77
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
You were warned with very good reason - this actually happened on the A1 a couple of years ago:

http://www.look4logistics.com/pages/policeradar.asp
Damn that Tornado pilot for not acting on instinct.....
Old 9 Oct 2002, 07:43 (Ref:398997)   #78
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Then there's the things you do when you're on post and bored.

Doc H and MagnetON are on the preceeding post. The radios aren't working, there's a big gap in racing and we're all bored.

Myself and Shinners turn round to see MagnetOn bent over a chair being spanked by Doc H with a yellow flag. Across the calm afternoon, we can distinctly hear a gruff Glaswegian voice shouting "ooh spank me spank me I'm a baaaaaad marshal"

I understand the spectators opposite the post found the whole sordid incident particularly amusing...........

I was on the last post and directing lost drivers back up the entrance to the paddock at the end of each race. This involved using a two handed "back up" type gesture due to where I was on the track. It was only after I'd receieved some very funny looks from the drivers that I realised that the majority of them didn't have windows in the driver's side door. Therefore, they could hear me singing "Give it to me baby (uh huh uh huh)" (a la pretty fly for a white guy) as I made the back up gesture...........

And all the drivers say I'm pretty smart for a mar-shal.....

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 9 Oct 2002 at 07:45.
Old 9 Oct 2002, 20:02 (Ref:399602)   #79
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Guisbro Rod H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the press and local hearsay are to be believed then be VERY careful with speed guns and military aircraft.

A policeman was collecting revenue by speed trapping motorists near Leeming military airport. It was the time of the gulf war, Kuwait invaision. Tornado or the like was off to the middle east fully weaponed up.

The policeman zapped the Tornado as a joke and for curiosity. The plane's electonic countermeasures systems automatically responded by exploding the speed gun in the policeman's hands. He was badly injured and he lost his job - the police authority and the RAF were unamused.

In the current political climate I suggest that WE are very CAREFUL with speed detectors that the military percieve as electronic / laser systems pointed at them.
Old 9 Oct 2002, 20:10 (Ref:399611)   #80
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guisbro Rod H
If the press and local hearsay are to be believed then be VERY careful with speed guns and military aircraft.

A policeman was collecting revenue by speed trapping motorists near Leeming military airport. It was the time of the gulf war, Kuwait invaision. Tornado or the like was off to the middle east fully weaponed up.

The policeman zapped the Tornado as a joke and for curiosity. The plane's electonic countermeasures systems automatically responded by exploding the speed gun in the policeman's hands. He was badly injured and he lost his job - the police authority and the RAF were unamused.

In the current political climate I suggest that WE are very CAREFUL with speed detectors that the military percieve as electronic / laser systems pointed at them.
Contry to what a certain son-in-law of mine might feel, I am quite aware of the dangers of radar speed guns (from Both Ends) and had no desire or intentions of pointing it anywhere but at competitors,I enjoy life even more than I enjoy marshling
Old 9 Oct 2002, 20:27 (Ref:399636)   #81
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Quote:
If any traffic Nazi is stupid enough to want to try this, let 'em (Not you Ian, don't worry )

Consider it poetic justice.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:30 (Ref:400215)   #82
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilwaynesmith

If any traffic Nazi is stupid enough to want to try this, let 'em
Consider it poetic justice.
Does this mean that anyone using the speed gun for pitlane speed control is also a Nazi?
Old 12 Oct 2002, 22:37 (Ref:402289)   #83
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
Then there's the things you do when you're on post and bored.

Doc H and MagnetON are on the preceeding post. The radios aren't working, there's a big gap in racing and we're all bored.

Myself and Shinners turn round to see MagnetOn bent over a chair being spanked by Doc H with a yellow flag. Across the calm afternoon, we can distinctly hear a gruff Glaswegian voice shouting "ooh spank me spank me I'm a baaaaaad marshal"

I understand the spectators opposite the post found the whole sordid incident particularly amusing...........

I was on the last post and directing lost drivers back up the entrance to the paddock at the end of each race. This involved using a two handed "back up" type gesture due to where I was on the track. It was only after I'd receieved some very funny looks from the drivers that I realised that the majority of them didn't have windows in the driver's side door. Therefore, they could hear me singing "Give it to me baby (uh huh uh huh)" (a la pretty fly for a white guy) as I made the back up gesture...........

And all the drivers say I'm pretty smart for a mar-shal.....
Bugger.... I should know better than to read this forum with a cup of coffee..... Now my keyboards's all gummed up with Coffee, cause of me spitting it out with laughter....
Old 14 Oct 2002, 15:50 (Ref:403958)   #84
serverbrainfailure
Rookie

serverbrainfailure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The plane's electonic countermeasures systems automatically responded by exploding the speed gun in the policeman's hands. He was badly injured and he lost his job - the police authority and the RAF were unamused.
i think the RAF would be well impressed with a weapon that could do that - since it's not possible (sorry, i live with a physicist).

however, if it was possible, i'd buy one & fit it to my car...!
;-)
Old 14 Oct 2002, 20:19 (Ref:404186)   #85
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by serverbrainfailure
i think the RAF would be well impressed with a weapon that could do that - since it's not possible (sorry, i live with a physicist).

however, if it was possible, i'd buy one & fit it to my car...!
;-)
I'm pretty sure this is an urban myth. I've heard it several times, involving different police forces & different aircraft - first time, it was a Jaguar in Scotland.
Old 14 Oct 2002, 20:24 (Ref:404191)   #86
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Another FMM:

At a BSB meeting, a disciplinary hearing was in progress, arising from an incident at the previous meeting. A marshal who had witnessed the incident & was out on post was asked to phone race control to answer a few questions. When he said that the phone wasn't working, the reply was that he should switch to channel 2 as they didn't want to discuss the matter in public.....all around the circuit radios were hastily switched to channel 2.....
Old 14 Oct 2002, 20:28 (Ref:404196)   #87
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
You would be amazed just how common that one is......
Old 29 Oct 2002, 16:54 (Ref:416501)   #88
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A FMM from this years British GP:

It's the historic support race, using the historic GP circuit, rather then the F1 layout. However, the FIA in their wisdom don't want cones on the track. Chaos ensues as half the field use one circuit layout, and the rest use the other. The race is duly red flagged, and the pit marshals (including yours truly) have to spend an interesting 10 minutes informing Stirlimg Moss & co which way they're mean't to be going.....
Old 30 Oct 2002, 13:43 (Ref:417433)   #89
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynic
A FMM from this years British GP:

It's the historic support race, using the historic GP circuit, rather then the F1 layout. However, the FIA in their wisdom don't want cones on the track. Chaos ensues as half the field use one circuit layout, and the rest use the other. The race is duly red flagged, and the pit marshals (including yours truly) have to spend an interesting 10 minutes informing Stirlimg Moss & co which way they're mean't to be going.....
And while you're busy with the drivers, the track marshals at Vale Out and at Abbey are putting cones out!!!!

I did hear that Stirling, having spotted the problem had deliberately taken all the possible routes to make sure he got a valid time on the correct circuit configuration !!!!