Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 5 Aug 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2263683)   #1
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Taupo A1GP Future Looks Doubtful.....

Taupo has only a 50-50 chance of hosting the A1GP after 2009, Taupo Motorsport Park shareholders have been told.

At their annual meeting yesterday, shareholders were told the internationally rated track was $6 million in debt and there was no assurance the "marquee" A1GP round would be held there in 2010.
He said four factors contributed to the loss. A public share offer had not raised as much as the company had predicted and had cost $337,000; there was a $1.3 million 'blowout' - later funded by debt - to finish the final stage of the track in time for the A1GP; depreciation was $260,000, and increased interest rates added an extra $315,000 to loan repayments.
The biggest debt was a $5,957,000 term deposit loan from ANZ Bank.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4643179a1823.html

Not looking rosy for A1 at Taupo or even in NZ.$6mill isnt a huge amount overseas but the Taupo guys must really be struggling with a monkey like that on thier back.Hopefully someone will throw them a lifeline.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2264155)   #2
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they find another New Zealand circuit. Taupo is an okay circuit, but what's more important, IMO, is that a New Zealand round stays.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2264182)   #3
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I presume that is what Hampton Downs is still working towards?

I hate to see anyone 6m in debt but if the race moved to Hampton Downs I think it would be better - Taupo is too narrow to provide good racing and the dust is not very nice for spectators.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 04:43 (Ref:2264248)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
I presume that is what Hampton Downs is still working towards?

I hate to see anyone 6m in debt but if the race moved to Hampton Downs I think it would be better - Taupo is too narrow to provide good racing and the dust is not very nice for spectators.
I thought I heard mention of A1 and Hampton mentioned in the same sentence somewhere. I'm sure that is what is on the cards.

The dust problem I'm sure could be fixed.

I've been on the track a few times and IMHO it is narrow, but I like it anyways. It's also a nice facility. In addition it has a nice scenic backdrop and Taupo itself is a nice town with plenty of tourist facilities. Probably the main advice I could give is to try to keep the track rented as much as possible with testing, racing schools, track days, driving schools etc. and to look internationally for business from historic racing groups, car manufacturers etc. Maybe something along the lines of a Muscle Car Masters type event, which has worked well for Eastern Creek.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 11:33 (Ref:2264408)   #5
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
poor taupo... but it will be fine with me as long as there is a race in NZ..

i live in auckland, so hampton downs is close and so good for me !
Old 6 Aug 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2264436)   #6
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad for Taupo, There was this survey that came out last week wanting feedback for the 2009 event. Link

That sort of debt don't sound good and I do feel for them.

Having said that Hampton Downs will get more bums on seats just due to the fact it is closer to the said bums

This years Taupo event was a joke as far as numbers go and my gut feel is next years will be worse due to NZV8's and the other support races pulling out, I believe they felt like they were treated like **** etc. If this ends up being true we many be in the situation that any race in NZ may not be on the cards. Hope not
Old 8 Aug 2008, 05:55 (Ref:2265710)   #7
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Hard to see A1 pulling a bigger crowd in Auckland.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 05:19 (Ref:2269945)   #8
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The advantage Hampton Downs has is that is has effectively been built with private finance, and the long term plans of a convention centre, restaurants etc on site, added to the income generated from track hire, race meetings, corporate days etc, is a major bonus. Entry fees at Taupo are already way higher than at other circuits, and if they are not careful, they will price themselves out of the local market, trying to recover the debt.

Much of the HD finance was initially generated by the sale of 80 trackside apartments, ($24m income), 67 of which will be in the rental pool, giving the site owners a further income stream, of 12.5% of the apartment rental income. Add the sale of industrial units and lifestyle blocks; use of the campsite; planned 4wd course; kart track etc., and you can see that the long term is looking very rosy indeed.

Bear in mind that they are talking about $4,000 to rent an apartment during MotoGP week, and no doubt, from 2010, every chance of A1GP, with a similar income. The disadvantages for spectators are that there is no covered grandstand, and apart from the apartments, other accomodation is a bit further afield than say Taupo, but Hamilton and Auckland central are only 40 minutes away.

Not sure whether or not Colin Giltrap still owns four of the apartments either...

Companies such as Audi are already booking blocks of three weeks... BMW are building the driver training facility.

Track bookings for race meetings are already double booked for most summer weekends.

Apartments are almost finished with first block (Amon, Block A) due to open for rental about October 2008, and circuit probably ready for minor meetings January 2009.

I haven't driven the new Taupo, but drivers have mixed feelings. Hampton Downs is spectacular!

Last edited by socram; 16 Aug 2008 at 05:21.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 06:58 (Ref:2269958)   #9
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
never heard of hampton downs - do NZ V8's run there
Old 16 Aug 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2270104)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
never heard of hampton downs - do NZ V8's run there
They will next year.
Old 17 Aug 2008, 05:17 (Ref:2270350)   #11
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go to hamptondowns.com Read all about it! NZ V8s due about mid March I think.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2328197)   #12
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well thats an easy question get the A1's to race at Powerbuilt raceway Hang on Ruapuna doesn't even want to bid for anything that cost money.......

Even though the drivers love the track it a shame they don't do a round a year in both islands to share it a round.......
Old 5 Nov 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2328506)   #13
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
re #11 Track possibly not quite ready in time for NZ V8's 2009, but plans well advanced for a massive McLaren Festival January 2010. If weather is good, will not take too long to take off the preloading on the track and start on laying the base.

Ruapuna may well be popular but no other country has two rounds so no chance of NZ!
Old 6 Nov 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2329600)   #14
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
What I meant to say is they should have one year the A1's should run in the north island then the following year run in the south island.......
Old 26 Dec 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2361247)   #15
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
Hey Sacram in the news the other Taupo is going to try and get two rounds in 2009...... I'll try and find the link....
Old 26 Dec 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2361298)   #16
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another combined V8 supercar/A1GP street circuit race maybe if surfers works out well??
Old 27 Dec 2008, 05:11 (Ref:2361380)   #17
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
Hey Sacram in the news the other Taupo is going to try and get two rounds in 2009...... I'll try and find the link....
It does not mean two rounds in the same season, rather Jan 25 for this season and next season's date brought forward to November, two weeks after Surfers Paridise (as posted in the season 09/10 thread). I thought however that Hampton Downs should almost be ready by then...
Old 27 Dec 2008, 05:27 (Ref:2361385)   #18
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Seems like they keep pushing back the finish date of Hampton Downs so who knows what will happen.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 06:19 (Ref:2361720)   #19
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4803121a1823.html

I think it makes sense for Taupo to follow up Gold Coast. It sounds like a good way to keep the travel flow right. Of course, we'll have to see how Taupo does in this race in January.
Old 5 Jan 2009, 05:40 (Ref:2365379)   #20
TR7V8
Rookie

TR7V8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taupo's A1GP Permit

The deadline for the permit for Taupo 2009 is due tomorrow, Tuesday 6th. I was up at the track on the weekend & there was talk of financial problems putting the kybosh on the event.

Some of the cooler heads did not think that the stake holders would let it fall over this close to the day.

We will find out tomorrow!
Old 5 Jan 2009, 08:39 (Ref:2365420)   #21
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Interesting.
The ANZ Bank getting nervous about its $6mill?.......
Old 6 Jan 2009, 06:08 (Ref:2366085)   #22
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Hampton Downs are going flat out for an A1GP meeting November. Circuit will probably now open June 1st 2009 after May testing.

Taupo are well and truly pricing themselves out of local motorsport and the large classic meeting there January 2008, with a fantastic entry including a full grid of Formula Juniors, unbelievably, made a loss, mainly due to the Taupo fees being way off the local clock. Even with their transponders, the timekeeping was a total shambles, and quite the worst I have ever come across in the 13 years I have been running a classic series.

Local classic organisers are totally frustrated at their grasping attitude and the current feeling is that with Pukekohe, and Hampton Downs having two circuits, three local circuits will do us just fine.

Taupo's future? Who knows.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 07:13 (Ref:2366101)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram
Hampton Downs are going flat out for an A1GP meeting November. Circuit will probably now open June 1st 2009 after May testing.

Taupo are well and truly pricing themselves out of local motorsport and the large classic meeting there January 2008, with a fantastic entry including a full grid of Formula Juniors, unbelievably, made a loss, mainly due to the Taupo fees being way off the local clock. Even with their transponders, the timekeeping was a total shambles, and quite the worst I have ever come across in the 13 years I have been running a classic series.

Local classic organisers are totally frustrated at their grasping attitude and the current feeling is that with Pukekohe, and Hampton Downs having two circuits, three local circuits will do us just fine.

Taupo's future? Who knows.
Stepping outside the track for a moment, I guess the appeal I would find if I was running a large event with an international component is that Taupo has a wealth of accommodation within a few minutes with a nice setting and background. Hampton Downs? What's out there of significance? Not much I can see and it's a drive back into Auckland or even to Hamilton.

Track wise Taupo is okay. I've been on it, don't have a major problem with it. I don't really find it overly interesting or technical but it's fine. I think there are a lot of different things they could do for revenue generation, but I'll keep my ideas to myself.

I have heard a lot of people not happy with the customer service and business side of Taupo. I work at a lot of racetracks in the USA and it is interesting how some are excellent and well organized and some have terrible customer service. They don't mind taking your money but they act like they don't want you there. I was at one new track that is a dream facility especially for what we do, but the people were not really friendly and were not accommodating or helpful. We might go there again, but maybe not. When you are paying tens of thousands to rent an empty track and you get treated like crap, it boggles the mind. Places like Miller Park and Virginia International are awesome. You get treated well, the staff are available and offering to help with anything you need and of course we always want to go back. It's a no brainer but some people don't get it.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 08:45 (Ref:2366135)   #24
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Good reply and right on the money. The Hampton Downs facility is owned by two very experienced classic racers, both with a strong leaning towards F5000. They have published their track rental charges and they are acceptable to most potential hirers. (NZ is a very cheap place to race, hence a strong interest from overseas - particularly northern based) heading down under during their off season, with their cars, and able to enjoy the scenery and the sport at a very reasonable cost.

The location between Hamilton and Auckland means that although they only have the apartments on site (with trackside views!), with both major centres only 40 mins away, there are plenty of accomodation options, though granted, not as pretty as Taupo. Having said that, classic racing at Taupo has often clashed with other Taupo events, and getting decent accomodation has often been difficult.

Hamilton has come up in the world recently, and has a far more vibrant nightlife than Taupo, and some superb restaurants. There is a classy winery and restaurant within 5 minutes of HD south, and a "motorway" service area 5 mins north. Expect the area to develop over the coming years, on and off site, and as long as we don't expect perfection day one, and give them a year or so, HD will be a great facility and is owned and run by genuine enthusiasts.
Old 6 Jan 2009, 09:00 (Ref:2366151)   #25
TR7V8
Rookie

TR7V8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No word on the permit yet but that is probably good news.

I like the Taupo track. Much more interesting than my 'local' track Manfeild.

Taupo businesses live in a world of their own. I get the impression they are geared to fleece the international tourist because they will probably get one go at them. When you have to go there often for track events (I've been 6 times in the last year) you get pretty bored with the attitude & I've often heard non-locals complain about how difficult it is to do business there.

Taupo might be central to the North Island but it is also isolated so few who would be coming to see the race would be day-trippers. Accommodation is booked out for big events in Taupo several months in advance & for the A1GP there is a 4 night minimum. Most attendees would only need 2 & I hate being taken advantage of like that.

If the race was in Hampton Downs there would be loads more people who would come just for race day because it wouldn't be so expensive to bring the family if they didn't have to stay for the whole weekend. It would be further away from home for me but it is already a 4-5 hour drive to Taupo so another 2 hours won't make much difference - not if you use the right car.