Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2007, 08:48 (Ref:1891609)   #1
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Soft tyres, hard tyres

Watching and lsitening to qualies yesterday, I noted the comments on the usage of soft and hard tyres

As it stands, no one appears to relish using the hard ones and is doing everything to limit the amount of time and laps spent on them.

Stategies are being planned around damage limitation on the time lost while using them.

It's like a certain shirt in my wardrobe - I only wear it when the rest are in the wash and there ain't any other options. I'm not keen on it but it gets a public airing only when circumstances demand.

My take is that the soft and hard compound during the race is a silly old sausage. Let's give them the option to use the fastest compound possible for a given track and conditions.

And, while we're at it - why not slicks (flame bait!)

Any thoughts?
Old 15 Apr 2007, 09:09 (Ref:1891628)   #2
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think theres the strong possibility that Bridgestones desire to remain "talked about" through the use of 2 compounds used in the race could end up turn negatively, as it seems the 2 selected compounds are never going to be close on any given circuit. Theres always going to be one thats completely unsuited to track conditions, which is sure to draw plenty of criticism through its use.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 09:42 (Ref:1891647)   #3
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current regulations are a logical consequence of the control tyre. Bridgestone wants us to keep spending attention to their products.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 11:49 (Ref:1891770)   #4
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just c and p'ing some of the rules

Quote:
Unless he has used wet or extreme-weather tyres during the race, each driver must use at least one set of each specification of dry-weather tyres during the race.
What if the race is red flagged on lap 1, and one car is on hards, do they have to use hards after the restart or may they use softs for the entire race?
Old 15 Apr 2007, 15:25 (Ref:1892004)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The desire to keep TV schedules running smoothly ensures that this is unlikely. A decapitated head on the start-finish straight would probably mean Safety Car now.

If teams only had to use one type of tyre, far more tyres would be wasted, so there are economic reasons for the soft/hard balance. The rules need tweaking though - Liuzzi switching to softs in the Safety Car period meant that he had no 'disadvantage' from the 'inferior' hards.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 15:29 (Ref:1892009)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would have been a better idea to have only compound per weekend.
Old 15 Apr 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1892018)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think its intriguing to be able to see how the cars perform on two different compounds. I am sure it means compromises in design and setup as well. Doesn't bother me at all.