Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Sep 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2955566)   #1
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rolex Series/Continental Tire SCC 2012 Discussion

No 2012 Grand-Am thread yet? On THIS website?! Lord have mercy!

Well, the DPG3 will make its race debut at the 50th Rolex 24 at Daytona. So far we've seen one picture SPEED has it. So far mixed reviews for the computer rendering of one angle, of what one of the DPG3s will look like with no manufacturer bodywork on it. Fair enough.

Cytosport is apparently finalizing plans to enter the Rolex 24. Picket says they will use a Riley. They haven't decided if they will use a brand new DPG3, or go with their current car (updated?).

Also, it seems the current generation of DPs will be legal at Daytona, not sure how many will run, and who will run them. Possibly Doran?

Many of you have likely already seen that the Audi R8 has been homologated for Grand-Am GT competition. At Daytona this year it was announced the Ferrari 458 would be too, both cars are based on their European GT3 sisters, but are modified to meet current Grand-Am specs. That is to say, Grand-Am is not adopting a GT3 class.

Finally, Brian Johnson of AC/DC will be entering the Rolex 24. Especially cool from my perspective is EFR will be in the car!

Chris
Old 15 Sep 2011, 15:05 (Ref:2955991)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
In GT Rick Ware Racing will field a trio of Mustangs, Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale a pair of Ferraris and I supposse there is some interest in the new Audi as well.

On the flipside, the series might or might not lose Dempsey's Mazdas and perhaps even those of Speedsource.

On the CTSCC-side, Ford has announced a turn-key ST-class Focus, and I hear there is some interest in those cars.
Compass 360 are building new cars over the winter based on the 2012 Civic.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2956013)   #3
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But wait...I read on the forums that they were going to replace the DPs with DTM. What happened to that?
Old 15 Sep 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2956014)   #4
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wonder who will run the Audis in GA. Until earlier this summer I had no idea who Ft. Lauderdale was before they announced they wanted to run the 458, so hopefully whoever runs the R8 doesn't take away an existing car. Well, I wouldn't mind too terribly if we lost a Camaro or RX-8 for an R8 or two.

Chris
Old 15 Sep 2011, 17:21 (Ref:2956026)   #5
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know why - and this is definitely not based on any kind of insider knowledge - but I could see TRG running a pair of R8s...

The most logical candidate for an R8 would probably be APR, though...
Old 15 Sep 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2956031)   #6
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the ST class front - a turn-key Focus sounds awesome...I wonder what kind of $ they're going to be asking? And if it would be legal in World Challenge as well? Very interesting...

As far as Audi R8s go, I can almost guarantee that APR will run at least one, if not two, if they are available. They're committed to the Audi / VAG brand for motorsports, as I've asked them if they'd ever consider running a GT Porsche since the R8 wasn't yet available for any series in the USA (this was a couple years back), and at the time they said they basically wouldn't, ever. APR has the funding and has been gaining more and more experience with their ST / GS programs, so stepping up to GT is the natural thing to do, and knowing the owner as I do, I'm sure that would be where he wants to go as well.

Aside from APR, Stasis would be the other USA based Audi tuner / manufacturer who I would expect to step into an R8. They've done various motorsports programs in the past, and are currently building their new headquarters at Summit Point in West VA. Whether that indicates they have a lot of cash to work with, or have it all tied up in the building I don't know, but again, it would make sense. Especially since one of their more popular products is the R8 Supercharger kit.

If TRG can get some rental drivers out of it sure, but I actually see them stepping up to GT in ALMS next year (for Spencer and either Dion or Duncan), perhaps with one car, and running 1-2 in GTC depending on funded drivers.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2956032)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Yup, the Focus is also legal for WC-TC and the Castrol Canadian Touring Car Championship...

More info here

The price quoted in there seems kinda step, though... 100.000$, that's GS-money and you can even get a World Challenge GTS-spec 'Stang for 78.000$...
Old 15 Sep 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2956037)   #8
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Yeah, strange price for it...

Chris
Old 15 Sep 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2956113)   #9
Speed-King
Veteran

OTOH, I seem to remember a price of around 80.000$ for a new Compass 360 built Civic, so that's actually not that far out there, when you think about it. Throw in a nice spares package and it might actually be a bargain, at least if the car can compete for race wins...
Old 15 Sep 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2956148)   #10
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm bummed I have a big camping trip with friends planned or I'd have had full credentials through work. Would have been great to hang with the Continental Mustang guys again.
Old 15 Sep 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2956157)   #11
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
OTOH, I seem to remember a price of around 80.000$ for a new Compass 360 built Civic, so that's actually not that far out there, when you think about it. Throw in a nice spares package and it might actually be a bargain, at least if the car can compete for race wins...
Does Ford send engineers and a trailer to the races like Porsche does with their customer support program?

Chris
Old 16 Sep 2011, 02:15 (Ref:2956188)   #12
rdt012237
Rookie

United States
somewhere,I think?
rdt012237 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske View Post
But wait...I read on the forums that they were going to replace the DPs with DTM. What happened to that?
The DTM's are coming in 2013 as a "added attraction"so to speak. they'll run there own race separate from Rolex. G/A for the past couple of years seems to have become a 2-day show [Friday practice,Saturday race]leaving the tracks to fill up Sunday as best they can.So I think DTM will go on Sundays.
RX 8's will still be around next year G/A has a 2 year "grandfather"rule and Sylvain Tremblay said they'd be back in a post race interview a month or so ago.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 02:22 (Ref:2956190)   #13
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdt012237 View Post
The DTM's are coming in 2013 as a "added attraction"so to speak. they'll run there own race separate from Rolex. G/A for the past couple of years seems to have become a 2-day show [Friday practice,Saturday race]leaving the tracks to fill up Sunday as best they can.So I think DTM will go on Sundays.
They'll only be around on some weekends, they'll also be supporting NASCAR races on rovals at NASCAR oval races.

And Danske was just making a joke about when Grand-Am was in talks with the JAF and ITR (or whomever sanctions DTM) about common rules. If that happened it fell through pretty quickly.

Chris
Old 16 Sep 2011, 02:32 (Ref:2956193)   #14
rdt012237
Rookie

United States
somewhere,I think?
rdt012237 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
They'll only be around on some weekends, they'll also be supporting NASCAR races on rovals at NASCAR oval races.

And Danske was just making a joke about when Grand-Am was in talks with the JAF and ITR (or whomever sanctions DTM) about common rules. If that happened it fell through pretty quickly.

Chris
Whoops! Didn't recognize the significence of the "Smiley" My Bad!
Old 16 Sep 2011, 03:27 (Ref:2956205)   #15
Speed-King
Veteran

Nissan seems to get rather close with Grand Am... first they give their North American GT Academy Winner a ride in Conti Challenge and now they are doing demo-laps at Mid Ohio with their new electric racer... taken for itself, neither has much significance, but with them occuring together and on the same weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see more involvement from Nissan in GA next year...and why not with their GT3-spec GT-R?
Old 16 Sep 2011, 05:27 (Ref:2956243)   #16
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Well, if the R8 can be brought in, and if the Z4 can be brought in the GTR should be. Although, like the Mercedes SLS the Nissan would provide some unique challenges in homologation. (Not the same challenges, obviously.)

Chris
Old 16 Sep 2011, 12:00 (Ref:2956373)   #17
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
RX 8's will still be around next year G/A has a 2 year "grandfather"rule and Sylvain Tremblay said they'd be back in a post race interview a month or so ago.
I didn't realize the Mazda's would be back next season. It will sure be weird to see a Mazda racing a Ferrari 458 or Audi R8.....

any Camero's back next year?
Old 16 Sep 2011, 15:41 (Ref:2956452)   #18
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Whoops! Didn't recognize the significence of the "Smiley" My Bad!
Actually it was a poke at far-reaching speculation apparently being taken as fact on the forums. So Grand-Am has been shopping around looking for common ground with other GT-ish series, but some little hints of that somehow became "next year Grand-Am is dumping their existing classes and adopting DTM and GT3!".
Old 16 Sep 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2956520)   #19
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
^They may as well do that, I'd be for it at least. Make the current chassis suppliers adopt DTM Coupe regs and use GM badged engines and bodywork. Instead of Corvette, brand it CTS-V like world challenge. Then Ford could do the same with a 'Stang or something. I donno, DP's seem odd, maybe DP3 will alleviate that? Heres to GA GT3 DTM DP! What a tongue twister.
Old 16 Sep 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2956620)   #20
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
any Camero's back next year?
I don't see why they wouldn't return. Chevrolet already has good representation in DP for the Corvette-bodied DPG3 entrants. They want to keep flying the flag in GT and that falls on the shoulders of the Camaro.

Chris
Old 16 Sep 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2956626)   #21
Speed-King
Veteran

Well, someone on the ground in Mid Ohio posted on another forum that a Nissan presence in Rolex GT in 2012 is possible, probably tubeframers for 2012 - with the real GT-R coming in in 2013....
Old 16 Sep 2011, 23:40 (Ref:2956665)   #22
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Very cool! I'm excited for both.

Chris
Old 17 Sep 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2956988)   #23
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would not be surprised if we saw a lot more GT3 based cars in prep 1 GA. centrelock wheels are permitted next year so it is just the roll cage that is a stumbling point
Old 17 Sep 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2957006)   #24
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
And aerodynamics, and horsepower, and tire size and potentially forced induction. (Grand-Am will adjust to the forced induction thing, though.)

Chris
Old 23 Sep 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2960010)   #25
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John Dagys at Speed had an article with lots of details on the Grand Am Audi.

Some interesting points from the article:
Nobody has bought one yet,
They are only making 4 (unless there is a larger than expected demand),
It costs $438,000 (which I assume is much more than a tuber Mazda, and for reference you can buy a DPG3 Riley for $405,000 with no engine),
You cant convert a GT3 to GA spec, but you can go the other way.