Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3236341)   #226
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
That would would be pretty great, though I think, right on the water there, it will probably stay warmer.

I wonder how it would look watching them race in the snow through infra-red goggles.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3237374)   #227
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
That would would be pretty great, though I think, right on the water there, it will probably stay warmer.

I wonder how it would look watching them race in the snow through infra-red goggles.
Interesting to say the least.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 11:49 (Ref:3237851)   #228
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Do Pirelli make snow tyres for F1 cars?
Snow chains.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 14:29 (Ref:3237930)   #229
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Snow chains.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 14:39 (Ref:3237937)   #230
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
All this talk about snow was what I was thinking originally, but then I remembered Sochi was right on the water and had a humid, subtropical climate with very mild winters. It would be different if it was in Moscow, St. Petersburg, or Chelyabinsk.

Here's the link to the average weather: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sochi#Climate

It seems that in October it'll be in the 60s but probably pretty rainy and humid.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3238030)   #231
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ why is it hosting the Winter Olympics then?!
Old 22 Apr 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3238046)   #232
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
The Winter Olympics are being held in February 2014, with events like Skiing and Bob Sleigh taking place near Krasnaya Polyana, which is in the Western Caucasus, about 25 miles East of Sochi.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 22:08 (Ref:3238145)   #233
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Pick me! Pick me!

I've done extensive research on the 2014 Olympics (I'm planning on getting a job within the International Olympic Committee), and yes, bjohnsonsmith is right. There are two "clusters": the Coastal Cluster and the Mountain Cluster. Bobsleigh, Luge, Skeleton, Skiing, etc will be held at the Mountain Cluster. At the Coastal Cluster will be the sports that play in the arenas, like curling, ice hockey, figure skating, speed skating, etc. The race track will be held around the Coastal Cluster.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3238150)   #234
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Here are some pictures, by the way.

Old 23 Apr 2013, 08:33 (Ref:3238279)   #235
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Here are some pictures, by the way.

Looks good and somebody has been spending lots of money on the facilities.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3238413)   #236
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Off-topic...
Old 23 Apr 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3238441)   #237
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Off-topic...
Isn't the Grand Prix track going to be around the Olympic precinct?
Old 23 Apr 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3238442)   #238
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Off-topic...
Unnecessary...
Old 23 Apr 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3238466)   #239
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
Isn't the Grand Prix track going to be around the Olympic precinct?
It's going to go through the Olympic Village, which is in Sochi.

Here's a shot with the track super imposed,

and an aerial map of the track with Bernie.
Old 23 Apr 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3238476)   #240
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Ouch !!! Bernie !
Old 24 Apr 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3238846)   #241
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
All does not seem to as well as we have been led to belive about the Russian GP but whats new with a future GP. It appears that the orginal promoter has gone bankrupt and the whole thing seems to be intermingled with politics with Putin being involved. Also the winter Olympics at Soshi are costing more than twice what London cost.
Will the GP go ahead as a lot of work is yet to be done and the Olympics don't end until mid March which leave six months to get ready for the GP.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...ions-on-sochi/
Old 24 Apr 2013, 13:55 (Ref:3238903)   #242
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
All does not seem to as well as we have been led to belive about the Russian GP but whats new with a future GP. It appears that the orginal promoter has gone bankrupt and the whole thing seems to be intermingled with politics with Putin being involved. Also the winter Olympics at Soshi are costing more than twice what London cost.
Will the GP go ahead as a lot of work is yet to be done and the Olympics don't end until mid March which leave six months to get ready for the GP.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2013/...ions-on-sochi/
Why am I not surprised ?
Old 26 Apr 2013, 04:07 (Ref:3239502)   #243
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The Russian Grand Prix is in serious trouble, isn't it ...2015 if even then...
Old 26 Apr 2013, 18:08 (Ref:3239724)   #244
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Let's wait and see...
Old 30 Apr 2013, 01:28 (Ref:3240833)   #245
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Long Beach could be back in the equation.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ra...nd-long-beach/
Old 1 May 2013, 04:41 (Ref:3241208)   #246
IndyDonut
Racer

United States
New York City
IndyDonut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Long Beach could be back in the equation.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ra...nd-long-beach/
Just saw that on ESPN F1. Would love to see F1 there, but the roads and facilities would need millions in upgrades to meet F1 standards.
Old 1 May 2013, 05:43 (Ref:3241223)   #247
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I'm completely flabbergasted by this. At first, I was shocked (in a bad way). I remembered it as a bumpy, crash-inducing temporary concrete canyon that barely reaches 2 miles and that would destroy the modern F1 car, especially with the crappy new tires. But all of a sudden, I realized that maybe that's what F1 needs. A complete shakeup... a track that doesn't fit the mold. A truly unique Grand Prix that defies all explanation.

All in all, this idea is growing on me.
I volunteered the last Long Beach GP a few weeks ago, and while the atmosphere wasn't quite of F1 caliber I was pretty surprised the way things felt for Indycar/ALMS/World Challenge combo. Even the marshalling was comperable to what they do at F1 which kind of ****ed me off being stuck on yellow flag for the entire weekend. But the venue itself was really scenic and beautiful, and we had some close racing at turn 2 where I was stationed
Old 5 May 2013, 02:07 (Ref:3242955)   #248
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
One can dream

Old 5 May 2013, 21:46 (Ref:3243262)   #249
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Great work! But I'd prefer 7 or 10 split sectors
Old 11 May 2013, 03:18 (Ref:3245547)   #250
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have never believed that this race would happen. But then i never believed that Austin would happen. So I guess there's still a chance for New Jersey.

N.J. Formula One supporters glad to see racing insider added to committee
Tomás Dinges/The Star-Ledger
updated May 10, 2013 at 8:34 AM

The organization that wants to bring Formula One auto racing to Weehawken in 2014 recently lost two top executives, but yesterday named an industry veteran to its team, officials said.

WEEHAWKEN — The appointment of Christopher R. Pook as a special assistant to the chairman of the Grand Prix of America group drew a vote of confidence from the head of Formula One.

"Chris has a history of great success in Formula One, which I’m confident he’ll bring to the Grand Prix of America race," F1 Chairman Bernie Ecclestone said. "We look forward to working with him to bring F1 racing to New Jersey and New York..."

The head of Grand Prix of America, former YES Network founder, Leo Hindery Jr., said Pook would consult on all aspects of race construction, planning and execution.

Pook founded the first F1 street circuit race in the country, the USA Grand Prix West in 1976, and helped develop six other races around the country over decades in the industry, Hindery said. He is also the former chief executive officer of Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) series...