Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Aug 2007, 15:32 (Ref:1998458)   #1
M.Lowe
Veteran

M.Lowe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delta S4's that were in Rallycross

Apart from Jamo Lahteenmaki (probably spelt wrong)
Matti Alamaki
Bruno Saby

who else had a Delta S4 for Rallycross
Any pics too please
Old 28 Aug 2007, 16:55 (Ref:1998531)   #2
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think there was only 2,

Matti Alamaki sold to Jarmo Lahteenmaki

Bruno Saby sold to Paul Chateaux
Old 28 Aug 2007, 17:45 (Ref:1998563)   #3
M.Lowe
Veteran

Thanks Barrie for that much appreciated
Old 28 Aug 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1998586)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am positive Barrie that Chateaux used a car at teh same time as Saby, Saby's was blue wih all sorts of stupid wings, maybe 88, and Chateauz did but that one, but he also used one before that, muti coloured, is on one of the videos somewhere??

Dont know of anyone else using an S4, there are a few being used currently in hillclimb and theya re quite highly deveoped.
Old 28 Aug 2007, 21:31 (Ref:1998757)   #5
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
You could be right Chunder, though I m sure I read somewhere that Chateux did buy the multi winged version off Saby, we need the guru!
Old 28 Aug 2007, 23:19 (Ref:1998812)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry I emant to say that Paul did indeed either buy the car or the body kit of Saby's car, but he ran a more basic version when Saby was in the series aswell.

There were a few 205's around aswell, Beuzelin and a few otehr guys ran full on spec cars as I remember.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 10:13 (Ref:1999060)   #7
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I do not speak more than about 200 words of French I always had pretty much problems to follow the things in France. Facts are that Matti Alamäki drove the Lancia Delta S4 in the ERC of 1987 and Jarmo Lähteenmäki drove that very car in the ERC of 1989 first. I don’t remember (or know?) what happened with the S4 in 1988, when Lähteenmäki still drove a Porsche 911 BiTurbo 4x4. In 1988 I saw Bruno Saby driving his wing monster S4 in the ERC round of Lohéac (pic on page 19 of my 88/89 RX yearbook). In 1989 Paul Châteaux drove a somewhat more civilised looking S4 into the 'A' final of the ERC round at Lunéville-Chenevières and, after Herbert Breiteneder had "kicked out" Matti Alamäki in the first corner and was subsequently excluded from the results, eventually finished third overall (pic on July page of my 1990 RX calendar). In Jacques Privat’s French RX yearbook 89-90 it is mentioned, that Châteaux drove a Lancia Delta HF Turbo in 1986 and 1987 and a S4 in 1988. Therefore I’m quite certain that the Saby and the Châteaux S4’s were different cars.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1999136)   #8
M.Lowe
Veteran

I have now seen the big winged version on a tape I have but still not sure whether this and the Blue Metal 5 backed car where the same one

Thanks for your help lads
Old 29 Aug 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1999165)   #9
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Lowe
I have now seen the big winged version on a tape I have but still not sure whether this and the Blue Metal 5 backed car where the same one
The S4 with "Pikes Peak wings" of Bruno Saby I pictured in 1988 at Lohéac was dark blue and showed Lancia, métal5 and TVhebdo advertisement. The S4 of Paul Châteaux was white for a couple of years with some green, red, blue and yellow patches and his main sponsor was Peinture J.P. GRELET. I pictured it in 1989 with only a small rear wing, but several pictures of Jacques Privat in his books of 89-90 and 90-91 show Paul’s S4 with similar front and rear wings to those, Bruno used in 1988.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:52 (Ref:1999230)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Lol, I have found clar evidence!!

If you go on the fan site du rallycross.

Click on the 1988 section in Historique and you will find a picture of Saby in teh blue car anbd Frequelin in the 205, and in the background in the same shot is Pauls white S4 as Eddi says, there were definately two in 88 and Chateaux eitehr bought the panels or the whole car after Saby was not in the series the next year, same as Wambergue took over the winged 205.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1999308)   #11
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Your right Chunder good work, looking the final placing table France 88 there are five Peugeot 205 t16s.

Old 29 Aug 2007, 17:31 (Ref:1999350)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I can get a few of the 205's Beuzelin ran a red car in 88 that looked like Matti's and another guy ran a blue car that looked like it might have been an E2.
Think the others were E1 but there was a chap running an E2 in 89 that I remember seeing in a video.

Beuzelin basically ran a works car in 90, if you look at the pics it was sponsored by Peugeot and he ran Matti fairly close at the French ERC round where Martin hit the wall at 100 odd mph!!

What I didnt realise was that were a couple of Metros, one for a guy called Bertrand Bertrand and anotehr yellow car for a guy I cant remember, and who can forget that awesome Alpine V6 Biturb of Demoisson, bet that was a beast of a thing!!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1999432)   #13
DCS
Racer

DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was ofcourse also the 205 T16E2 of Philipe Wambergue. I think his one was stolen at a gasstation... I can remember reading (in Echappement?) something like that a that time... I about the same period the Gordon Spooner build roadgoing RS200 of Jan Langenberg was also stolen in Valkenswaard...

I think most of the S4's went to Autocross and one was not so long ago active in Bergrennen (hillclimbing). This was driven by Ianello and he beat Knutl in the specially build RS 200 with Godfrey engine several times...

I remember the S4 seem to have a very different wastegate noise...
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1999449)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Thats bacause they had a supercharger and it was the compressor being driven.

Wambeurges car was the same as Frequelins, just a year later.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 20:20 (Ref:1999503)   #15
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Beuzelin’s red 205 for 1988 and 1989 was an E1 version. In September of 1989 the Alamäki-red had been replaced by Skogstad/Camel-yellow. In 1990 Beuzelin won the FRC with a yellow E2. The blue 205 was possibly the E1 driven on a few occasions in 1989 by Denis Marcel.

One of the 6R4s (red and yellow, Seaton Garage stickers) was driven in 1989 and 1990 occasionally by a chap from Jersey with Portuguese roots, named John Fernandez. The yellow 6R4 (a colourfull butterfly on its nose) of 1989 was the car of Joël Champs. Bernard Bertrand (correct christian name) drove the same 6R4 (in white now, butterfly still on) in 1990.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1999520)   #16
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
The S4 has a supercharger as well as a turbocharger. BTW, Birgit Schanche always sneezes very funny. Coz it sounds like the S4 always did the MSR team members used to call her "Alamäki" for quite some time.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1999534)   #17
M.Lowe
Veteran

Where can I find pictures of these French 6R4's
Thankyou for your help
Old 29 Aug 2007, 21:18 (Ref:1999561)   #18
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Lowe
Where can I find pictures of these French 6R4's
Thankyou for your help
Possibly here: http://www.fanderallycross.com/
Old 29 Aug 2007, 21:34 (Ref:1999577)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Cmon Eddi did you htink I didnt know that! lol

I know that Matti couldnt get on at all well with the car and only really bought one coz he knew Seppo was getting a 205 or didnt know!!

You could see that he was struggling with it from day one, being the genius that he was though he still won rounds with it!!

Obviously I never saw the French cars they always amuse me over there f=very uniquie thinking and if you look at the pictures little things stand out, they never used River alloys, always differnt wheels unless it was wet.

No idea what spec the cars were.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1999625)   #20
DCS
Racer

DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No it was not the compressor whining I am ment... It was the sound when the gearchanges were made. I think it was a dumpvalve, only very short en Shhh'ish, not like the sweet whistling sounding RS500's... Almost like the car scraped it's nose on the tarmac... But I was 17 or something back than, so no glue...
Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1999629)   #21
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
I know that Matti couldnt get on at all well with the car and only really bought one coz he knew Seppo was getting a 205 or didnt know!!
AFAIR it was Alamäki who had the confirmation for a S4 first and the jealous "Mister Wigspeed" wanted to top that with a 205 – and eventually succeeded by mediation of Ari Vatanen.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 22:37 (Ref:1999643)   #22
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCS
No it was not the compressor whining I am ment... It was the sound when the gearchanges were made. I think it was a dumpvalve, only very short en Shhh'ish, not like the sweet whistling sounding RS500's... Almost like the car scraped it's nose on the tarmac... But I was 17 or something back than, so no glue...
The characteristic noise of the S4 was some kind of a very short "chew chew" (similar to a sneeze) that was produced by the supercharger.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 10:04 (Ref:1999919)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
If you can ever goet hold of it the Screensport I think 87 review or 88 has a bit of footage from the ERC round at Lydden and you can really hear the compressor and blower there.

THe camera and mike are sitting right behind the cars as the lights are readied and all you can hear is that characteristic chuff of the S4 as Matti is manicly blipping the thrittle trying to get the start.

Go onto Youtibe and type in Delta S4 and you will get plenty of footage from that era and also some of the hillclimb footage of Ianello, great stuff.

Interesting to note that Peugeot were experimenting with anti lag even in 86, the cars then ran such high boost that lag was a huge problem, Audi were using it in 83/84 with the big bang effect and Lancia were using super and turbo charging. Not sure about Ford and whether Martin or anyone ever tried tog rid the cars of lag?
Old 30 Aug 2007, 11:47 (Ref:1999985)   #24
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru
The characteristic noise of the S4 was some kind of a very short "chew chew" (similar to a sneeze) that was produced by the supercharger.
I remember the sound well. Alamaki won the ERC round when first visited Mondello in Ireland in 87. Mark Rennison hit him up the back at the start of the final and whatever it broke or bent, it made that whooosh sound all the way round the lap, not just on lifting the throttle. Mad car with the super & turbo chargers.